AT shifter clicking ('05 TL rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT shifter clicking ('05 TL rattle)

I have an 05 TL with 5K mi. This noise started last week. When I press on the brake to release the shift lock I hear a clicking sound. It sounds like two pieces of metal tapping each other. I also now hear the noise when I'm in drive and come to a complete stop. I hear the noise again every time I accelerate out of a complete stop. Before last week I never heard a single peep. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you or the dealer fix it. They tell me it's normal, but my car never did it before and the loaner I now have doesn't do it either. If you want to hear the noise I'm talking about, press the brake, and from park, slide the shifter to the right. Do not pull the shifter down to reverse yet. Just hold the shifter to the right and let off of the brake. You'll hear and feel a tap on the shifter handle. That is the sound I hear all the time now. Help please!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
It is just the safety interlock resetting itself. If you hold the shift lever to the right you can hear it every time you press and release the brake.

If you follow the safe practice of keeping your foot on the brake until you shift out of park into whatever gear you need, you won't hear it anymore.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
6th Gear

my problem is that it happens all the time while in drive. It clicks when I come to a stop in Drive and Acccelerate from a stop in drive. It should only happen when actually in park, but it happens all the time now.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever find the fix?

Thanks,

Bob

04 TL AT
Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
6th Gear

took to dealer and they fixed it. although, the noise did return. took it back again and it has benn gone for quite a while now. good luck
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

can you tell me what they did to fix the problem....I seem to have the same issue with my 2004
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah i just starting having the same issue too. Everytime i come to a stop..sounds like a metal clip is sliding or something
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 PM
User name now jdb8805

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having the same problem. Recent problem. Is it really safety interlock?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it go bad? Because I was very careful several times to shift out of park, let drive engage and then let off the brake, still clicks. Once right before complete stop, once right after take off.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Racer

I have no idea why I have two usernames, but anyways!

I think I figured out the problem. I noticed that the slotted tab next to the shifter when in park wasn't quite sitting level. After taking it out and replacing it, I realized it was in backwards. The slot for screwdriver should be towards you not towards the shifter.

Once I fixed it, It sit level. I think it was somehow touching that interlock (below it, reason for the tab is manual release) and possibly causing the clicking noise. The dealership must have installed it backwards -- I don't know why they took it out. It was when my car was in the shop for knock sensor code.

I haven't test driven it yet, but since the clicking appeared after that dealership trip, I think that is the problem.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
could you post a picture?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Racer

I could post a picture, but that didn't fix it -- click is still there, getting worse. Also happens when pressing brake pedal.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
any fix for this yet? Same prob here.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzlot
I have an 05 TL with 5K mi. This noise started last week. When I press on the brake to release the shift lock I hear a clicking sound. It sounds like two pieces of metal tapping each other. I also now hear the noise when I'm in drive and come to a complete stop. I hear the noise again every time I accelerate out of a complete stop. Before last week I never heard a single peep. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you or the dealer fix it. They tell me it's normal, but my car never did it before and the loaner I now have doesn't do it either. If you want to hear the noise I'm talking about, press the brake, and from park, slide the shifter to the right. Do not pull the shifter down to reverse yet. Just hold the shifter to the right and let off of the brake. You'll hear and feel a tap on the shifter handle. That is the sound I hear all the time now. Help please!
My '08 TL-S just started making this clicking noise. Anyone else?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

I just took my whole center console apart looking for what I thought was something rattling around when I came a stop, and again when I accelerated. After taking it out for a ride with the entire console out, I'm now positive it's the shift interlock mechanism making the noise. (As you might imagine, you can hear it much more clearly with no center console.)

I am 100% positive my car didn't always do this..it just started a month or two ago. It always made the noise when you step on the brake before shifting out of park, but every auto I've had does that.

Hearing that interlock click when I come to stop, and again when I start moving is driving me insane.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
OH-4

ive read a few posts on this..my 04 does the same thing..its some sort of safety switch that engages and disengages. it prevents the shifter from moving into reverse when your driving..then as you slow down to about 4 or 5 mph..it disengages so you can shift into reverse.. maybe this is the problem.. I didnt fix mine..i think it requires some extensive tear down..
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bwatson3
ive read a few posts on this..my 04 does the same thing..its some sort of safety switch that engages and disengages. it prevents the shifter from moving into reverse when your driving..then as you slow down to about 4 or 5 mph..it disengages so you can shift into reverse.. maybe this is the problem.. I didnt fix mine..i think it requires some extensive tear down..
That's exactly what it does. Making it quiet is a whole different story.

I had the shifter mechanism unbolted and flipped upside down last night so I could see the parts, but couldn't figure out a way to make it quieter.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
OH-4

somewhere on here is another discussion about this..somebody fixed it with a piece of felt or something similar.. i just turn my radio up so i dont hear the noise.. good luck with your fix.. keep us posted if ya come up with anything..maybe take some pics so we can all see whats up..
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Bwatson3
Shift lock solenoid.

From thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/2005-tsx-automatic-transmission-noise-671861/

Originally Posted by abqtsx
Problem Fixed! I finally took matters into my own hands and fixed the problem - IMO this is not a normal noise. Sorry - no pics of the repair, my GF had my camera.

Anyway - I pulled out the shifter assembly after the dealer had replaced the shift lock solenoid (car was still making the noise). The Shift Lock Solenoid will activate in Park (when you press the brake). It also activates when you slow down (under 2 mph) and than again when you pull away from a dead stop (at about 2-3 mph). The solenoid is there to prevent you from shifting past Neutral (into reverse or park) when you're moving above 2-3 mph). This solenoid was NOT the problem with my car.

I tore down the shifter assembly to get to the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Lock Stop (the lever that is attached to the Shift Lock Solenoid). This lever is the problem (the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Lock Stop). It appears that it has become slightly loose over time, and when the solenoid activates, the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Stop Lock lever rattles against the inside of the shift housing. I removed the lever, and epoxied a very small, very thin piece of industrial felt to the edge that was rattling against the shift housing - problem solved!

Note!! This is NOT a repair you should attempt unless you know what you're doing. The shop manual does not go into detail about how to tear down the shifter assy, and it's pretty tricky. It took me about an hour to do this repair, but I've got a quite a bit of experience. Also, my fix is the 'DIY' version of the repair - it's quite possible that replacing the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Stop Lock lever would also fix the problem, but it's the same amount of work. Besides, this is a poor design - there's very little clearance for the lever, so eventually, it's probably gonna rattle against the side of the shift housing.

Wish I had Pics, but if you look at the exploded diagram in the shop manual (page 14-234) you can see the part I'm referring to. It's a bugger to get access to the lever!

Maybe this will help some of you guys still under warranty - you can point out where the problem lies - if they just replace the solenoid, it will not likely fix the problem. If you're out of warranty, and lacking mechanical skills, you may want to just live with it. My dealer replaced the solenoid under warranty - did not fix the problem. Pretty lame diagnostic skills - they were right on top of the problem and replaced the wrong part.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Instructor

I had the exact same problem, and I read that other users fix.
He is correct, it is NOT the solenoid, it is the plastic 'hammer' that moves within the housing

Here is what you have to get to to remove it:

Here is the gear shifter that you need to remove to fix the problem:

And here is the FIX!:

You can see (hopefully) that I put a small piece of felt inbetween the white 'hammer' that moves (from the shift lock solenoid) and the housing. That hammer is loose, and moves from right to left in the image.. I also put some felt on the other 'stopping point' of the hammer.

Mine is perfectly quiet since I did it.

Before doing the teardown, I suggest you read about removing the shifter assembly. Luckily, I had a service manual. The biggest 'unknown trick' is you have to put the shifter in "R" (I think, dont quote me on it) to put the transmission in the right gear for removing the shifter. Other wise, the cable linkage might not be in the correct place.

Also, this is an 07 TL TypeS.. Not sure if other TL's are different.