screwed around with at dealer. lengthy

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screwed around with at dealer. lengthy

ive, been reading this forum ever since i purchased my 05 and i have found that i have the same problems as every one else.

1. third gear grind, pops out of gear

2. rear pass clunk or sounds like somthing is bouncing around in the trunk.

3. pass side break squeal, not all the time.

4. can see where the air bag is on the dash.

last wed., i took it in for an oil change and made a list of all these known problems. i had even written down the numbers for the break tsb.
first of all they didn't have any loners so i walked down the street to get some lunch. about an hour later i called to check and see what time frame i would be looking at here in my day.

the reply i got over the phone was almost combabtive. "we'll you just brought it in", and these things tanke time" when all that i really wanted was a etimate on the time i would be wasting today since they did'nt give me a loner for the day.
finally after he said that he "didn't have his ducks in a row" concerning the problems i managed to get him to tell me to call back in two hours. this was at 2:15.

i waited til 5:00 to call and they told me that it was ready.

needless to say the only thing that had gotten done was the oil change.

they even told me that they could not reproduce the problems that i know exist everyday. and even with the break tsb they had said tha as long as they couldnt replicate the issue they would not fix it.

so what the hell do i do?? keep taking days off of work in hopes that they will be able to reproduce these things?

by the way this service center is in savannah ga. downtown. i would rather drive to jacksonvile from now on than put up with these people.

srry such a long post but im sure that a few of you have been through somthing similar . please advise.

bender
Old 12-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Racer

Do not expect much from cheap made American car. You got what you paid.
Acura is NOT luxury brand. (Some people here think it is, probably because they have come from Ford or Dodge).
Next time spend more money and buy quality product and you will not experience such issues.
Almost everyone in this forum went via similar or even worse experience (including myself).
My little advice: if this TL is yours (I meant not leased) than take it to private body shop and fix small issues (it will cost some $$$)
Dealers will mess with your car, will not fix any issues, and will tell that they can not reproduce a problem that you have.
I followed my own advice and I see real progress with my TL
Old 12-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
bender, welcome to the forums. As for your situaton, what you should have done is requested a ride with an acura tech and point out the problems as you drive. THis will show them the issues. Also alot of dealers do that, not just acura. They do that becuase the boss thinks that you are a waste of time. I would also call acura cilent care and tell them about the situation. Lastly, they should have given you an enterprise rental if they did not have any acura ones left.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

wow, yea i had a jeep for ten years, lifted on 33's. i am used to stuff breaking and fixing it myself. you are right though. i do expect top notch service from this brand. i wanted to spend that amoutn of money and this was the most reliable, efficient car i found. i do miss the jeep though.

by the way i did have a tech drive with me once at the end of the day.

the third gear thing showed up when i was driving but yet again you have to feel it. and i frankly dont trust that fact that they protested they had divin it all day. the other things would not rear their ugly heads.

i will call the 800 number next and write a letter, i just wanted to get some input from you guys that may have delt with this first.

thanks and merry christmas

bender
Old 12-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
next timeyou leave the car at the dealership, note the milage and gas you have on the car. This can help prove if they did even try to slove the issue.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-26-2006, 10:25 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by oppnyc
My little advice: if this TL is yours (I meant not leased) than take it to private body shop and fix small issues (it will cost some $$$)L
I disagree, bringing a 3rd party into this may actually complicate things since the dealer will have a justified claim that the 3rd party messed things up. I would sit down with a the dealership' service manager and lead tech (not the tech advisors) and lay out your issues, get a tech to drive the car with you and explain that you are giving them the benefit of the doubt that your previous visit was a "bad day" for them so that's why you haven't called Acura yet to open a case. If Acura is like any other line they really penalize dealerships for bad surveys and "cases" opened up against them. If this is true with Acura your service dept might just "perk up" and try and resolve issues if they know that you are "wise to the way it works". This technique worked well for me with my previous car since I ended up happy and so to did the dealer since they got to keep a "good record"

BTW I have a mild 3rd gear issue, Brembo's that occasionally squeal in slow left-hand turns and a dash that shows some lines and none of it bums me out as bad as you.

Plan A- Try changing your MTF (GM Friction Modified perhaps), living with an occasional squeal, and buying a bottle of 303 for the dash.

Plan B - Force them to tear apart you gearbox to no avail, have them do the Brembo SB just to have the squeal possibly reappear later, and have them replace your dash so you can have really f-ud up dash seams, new rattles and the lines come back later.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:32 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
If you want a loner, call to make an appointment for when they will have one, arrive early. Plan to test drive with the tech and plan to leave the car all day.

I've had all kinds of cars and Acura service is about the same as everyone elses. A little planning and proactive work goes a long way.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And most of all, don't listen to a thing that idiot in post # 2 says. He hasn't had one constructive post in this forum. What a tool.