SCARY.....Car shut off while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
SCARY.....Car shut off while driving.

I was slowing down, probably going about 15-20 mph coming to a red light. All of a sudden, the car shuts off. I had to slam on the brakes and the wheel was hard to turn. God forbid I was taking a turn on the highway! What could be the cause of this I am afraid to drive my car until I get this fixed! ANY help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
do you have a stock or aftermarket battery? are the connections good? where there any warnings before it shut off? did it restart?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Just drive...

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
My initial thought would be battery or possibly alternator. The same type of thing happened on a past vehicle, and it was a dead battery. But I would ask the same questions that blkaspec asked; especially were there any warnings you noticed (dimming of lights, ect...)?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
US Navy Seabees

new battery. the car has 89,000 miles. You make a good point, I will check the battery connections. No warnings, it was night time and all of a sudden the engine shut off and all the dash lights went off. Restarted immediately. It may be worth noting I have the common 3G issue of the car have a rough start up/ignition from time to time. Seems to sputter sometimes while starting up.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
If it did restart, any check engine light? I would asssume not since it wasn't mentioned.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
US Navy Seabees

no check engine light, and the car was running strong as always.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
That happened to me a few months ago. OUt of nowhere the car shut off. Thank god nobody was behind me. I was able to restart the car with no problems and no check engine lights came on. I have no idea what happened. Battery was good, connections good... No problems since.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
As stated previously, check the battery connections, especially with a new battery. Some of the aftermarket battery terminals do not fit all that well with the TL cable clamps. The Sear DieHard batteries, for example.

When you check the connections completely loosen, inspect the terminals and inside of the clamps, clean if necessary, and then re-tighten the clamps.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this problem a while back with a Pontiac Grand AM. The fuel pump was bad so the engine would cut off because it wasn't getting fuel.

I would be driving down the highway at 70mph or whatever and the engine would shut off. I would hurry up and shift to neutral and restart car without stopping and put it back in drive and continue to drive. One day it died and wouldn't restart. Replaced fuel pump and problem went completely away.

Should not be the battery unless the alternator is bad.
The following users liked this post:
Young-CL-S-01 (09-28-2020)
Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
There was a thread over on the 4G Forum where a fellow was driving along at 50-60 MPH and the engine shut off. Don't believe they ever tracked down the problem, although a lot of possibilities, but he got a new car out of it.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

What products do you use to clean interirior and exterior of your Acura? I have an 07 TL Type-S. Just bought it, it has 20,000 miles and is in great shape and I want to keep it that way.

Specifically, I don't want to use any products that will ruin my interior. Any Advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry about the above post. I'm trying to create a new thread. I'm obviously new to this. LMAO!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:58 PM
US Navy Seabees

Originally Posted by scott3714
I had this problem a while back with a Pontiac Grand AM. The fuel pump was bad so the engine would cut off because it wasn't getting fuel.

I would be driving down the highway at 70mph or whatever and the engine would shut off. I would hurry up and shift to neutral and restart car without stopping and put it back in drive and continue to drive. One day it died and wouldn't restart. Replaced fuel pump and problem went completely away.

Should not be the battery unless the alternator is bad.
Yeah, I realize it can't be the battery since the alternator would take over and you'd most likely get a battery light on the dash. All I know is, this is a very bad problem and I'm afraid of bringing it to the dealerhip since I don't know the cause of the problem and they are probably gonna wanna change out a million things and still not figure it out.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ruby:
702Razz (08-23-2023), Fahruz Zaman (07-25-2014), Young-CL-S-01 (09-28-2020)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
Yeah, I realize it can't be the battery since the alternator would take over and you'd most likely get a battery light on the dash. All I know is, this is a very bad problem and I'm afraid of bringing it to the dealerhip since I don't know the cause of the problem and they are probably gonna wanna change out a million things and still not figure it out.
Had the same thing happen in an 06 Honda Accord. I had to get a jump started and when driving on the highway, the car would shut off, but mysteriously restart. So middle of summer I was driving with A/C off, radio off, everything electrical that I can control off. Got to the dealership, and they said it was a bad battery. You probably have some bad cells in the battery. Go to autozone or some place similar and get the battery tested, guarantee the battery will fail test. You can also get your alternator tested while your there too
Old 06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a honda accord and it did it. Total of three times on the interstate and would restart after it cut off..No lights to show an indication. Took it to the Honda dealership and they didn't know so they did the guesstimate game with my debit card come to find out I had to replace my fuel pump and sensor (597.00) . It stop cutting off but I ended up getting another car on June 3rd which is why I am on this site because I got an Acura 08 TL Moroccan Red Pearl... and I love it!!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say its probably your fuel pump or something fuel related, but before taking drastic measures like replacing your fuel pump you may want to have ur battery terminals looked at. I had an accord once that turned off on me in the middle of the street. I imediatly opened the hood and moved the battery around and the car started right up. It was actually extremely responsive after this. Any was I parked it, tried to start it again and nothing. It ended up that my posotive terminal was bad. hope this helped.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen several times over the past year, took it to my shop and it ended up being the throttle body. I read threads about a bad sensor that's on the side of the throttle body, but my guy just replaced the whole thing.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 432 Likes on 244 Posts
it happened in my 1995 nissan maxima, it was the fuel pump in my case (similar to some of the guys on here). Sometimes mine quit a stoplights, sometimes it quit rolling through town, and sometimes on the highway. Sometimes it restarted immediatly, sometimes it needed a few seconds. Everytime after it restarted it had all the power it ever had. But my maxima had a lot of miles probably near 200,000k when that happened, and the only maintenance it ever had was oil changes. I find that a fuel pump issue at 89k miles is a bit weak...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have the same problem today...and it happened few times in the past. suddently engine shuts off. it happens at random sometimes twice a day, sometime runs smooth for 2-3mts and luckily I was at slow speed.

My sister have a 99 TL and it tuned off completedly on hwy, she had to pull off hwy, then restart it. her problem fixed after replace the ignition switch. My problem seems little differernt and I am still searching for solutions...
any other suggestions appreciated.
thx
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM
07 TL-S - MT - CBP

OP, does the car start automatically or you start it manually? A friend had a similar issue for a long time on his Odyssey where it would shutoff automatically and then restart after a few seconds. Turned out to be an issue with the wiring of his aftermarket remote start.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 AM
4th Gear

scary

I have an acura tsx 2009. I had never experienced any problems with it before as this now.
I was coming to a red light and my car just started shaking and lights came on and lost power and it shut off and wouldn't start. I had someone help me push to safe area to check it out. It wouldn't turn on at all I had to get it towed home. Where's park for the past 3 days. I change altenator, change sparks plugs, change battery, change fused. And I also check sensors and there good. Had 3 mechanics coming to look at it and they can't figured out what's wrong. There's no code or lights on the only other thing there thinking it's that the computer it might be bad but I doubt that because it's only a 6yr old car. Please any other sugestions?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Seems to me like gas stopped flowing to engine. Check if fuel pump still works. Open the gas filler cap and listen closely and have somebody turn the key to the last position before ignition. If fuel pump works, you should hear a faint pshhhhhh for about 2 seconds and then it should stop. If you don't hear it, you might have an electrical problem. Report back and i'll help you troubleshoot because it's a lot of steps to pinpoint the issue...you also need a voltmeter.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 AM
4th Gear

I did and it's flowing fuel I did that 2 days ago and it fluted so I took the sparks plugs out and let it evaporate for 2 days then I put in new spark plugs in cause the others where pretty worn out.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 AM
4th Gear

It sounds like it wants to turn on but nothing and it's killing the battery quickly.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
This issue only has 2 probable causes, loss in power or loss of fuel. Fuel system should be OK unless maybe there is something clogging it, only culprit left is loss of power. You should maybe check the alternator
Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 AM
4th Gear

I Change altanator.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Engine needs fuel and spark.

In old days we would hold spark outside just touching part of the engine while someone is cranking just to make sure there is spark. Do not know if you can do same with ECU, but I'd try anyway.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
check the fuel pressure, also are you getting a blinking green key at all? If yes, you might have an issue with the immobilizer system cutting fuel off to the car.

Also have them check the compression and the catalysts to see if they are clogged.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 PM
10th Gear

Post #1: I pm'ed someone on here, but oh wells. My 05 died on the road, going 75 mph. No warnings, no dimming, h3ll, radio was still playing. Good thing I had some practice with a power steering-less civic as a first car. Of course, when I turn to crank it, green key light comes on. So I would sit there for a couple minutes, to the side of the highway, then give it a try, and whaddaya know? Starts and drives like nothing just happened. Died again, this time on a small highway, couple minutes from the house. Had my brother, original owner, drive it and see what it was. Never died on him, its like the car hates me. Then hooked up some "tool" *shhh* to monitor car and doesn't die for that week. Now car doesnt even start, with immobi key on. Replaced immobi receiver via shop manual, still a no go. Connect scan tool, and cant receive codes. Double checked all fuses, even flipped same fuses around, no go. K line getting just barely 1volt. Its been about a month, maybe next week, start tearing into the dash, or spend the whole day figuring out my brake code. =D
Old 11-08-2015, 06:19 PM
10th Gear

An update: Well, driving around suspiciously with a hot wired car this past month, so the mice dont got time to make a comfy home, finally figured out what it was. Thanks for nothing acurazine.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

Am having the same issue

[QUOTE=csmeance;15538536]check the fuel pressure, also are you getting a blinking green key at all? If yes, you might have an issue with the immobilizer system cutting fuel off to.

HI AM HAVING SAME ISSUE WITH MY ACURA MDX 2001 it shuts down while driving I already change the coil ignition and the gas pump but the thing here is that the GREEN KEY THAT FLASHES MINE DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE DASH
Old 05-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My TL did this once, it shut off completely while coming to a stop for a turn, started right back up so I ignored it, fast forward few months, car never shut down in the middle of the road but it started making a whine noise. Found out the alternator was dying, got it replaced and haven't had any issues since.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:24 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BlueAquarian
I had a honda accord and it did it. Total of three times on the interstate and would restart after it cut off..No lights to show an indication. Took it to the Honda dealership and they didn't know so they did the guesstimate game with my debit card come to find out I had to replace my fuel pump and sensor (597.00) . It stop cutting off but I ended up getting another car on June 3rd which is why I am on this site because I got an Acura 08 TL Moroccan Red Pearl... and I love it!!
What sensor did they change I see you said they changed the fuel pump and a sensor please tell me what sensor I'm thinking it's the throttle position sensor and I may have to change that too
I am having this issue the dealership said I need a new ECU so I'm waiting for the swap ECU to come in I have a 2005 manual transmission TL so it's hard to find the ECU compared to the automatic I was wondering if it could be the throttle body that's all she need to start after I cleaned it also my car was overheating before I replace the radiator fan and AC fan and the radiator itself I did a cooling flush twice about 2 or 3 months apart change some of the clamps it was leaking change the reservoir cap changed the radiator cap when I was trying to vent the air it popped off I guess I forgot about it and I had to put the old one back on I had the dealership check it out and they say it's not the fuel pump that the fuel pressure is good so I asked him to check the electric load detector I read that Hondas are very odd about the voltage they put out because of the alternator and the computer has anyone had this issue