Scan tool doesn't communicate with computer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scan tool doesn't communicate with computer

Need Help Scan tool does not communicate!Hi Acura family! I need your help..I have a 05 Acura TL with 245k on the clock. To make things brief.

1 I have the the ! brake light and traction control lights that are showing up...was this way for a few months..
2.My battery died while my car was sitting for 2 weeks, I put a new battery and drove the car to a shop to get it repaired and find out why the light were on..the lights were still on after new battery was put in. The mechanic said that he is unable to get the scan tool to communicate with my car? (he has already troubleshooted to check power to tool etc...)
3. Trying to figure out 2 things...what would cause the scan tool not to communicate? secondly what would cause these engine lights to come on in 1st place. any help would be great..thanks
4. I did put a new VSA switch in..but never did the VSA memorization.. before battery died.
5.This is an independent shop..regardless of codes..shouldn't scanner communicate?..Is it possible to get engine lights out without scan tool working?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Try another shop, one with a snap on scanner or similar just to eliminate the possibility that their scan tool wasn't adequate or working.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakeman2
Need Help Scan tool does not communicate!Hi Acura family! I need your help..I have a 05 Acura TL with 245k on the clock. To make things brief.

1 I have the the ! brake light and traction control lights that are showing up...was this way for a few months..
2.My battery died while my car was sitting for 2 weeks, I put a new battery and drove the car to a shop to get it repaired and find out why the light were on..the lights were still on after new battery was put in. The mechanic said that he is unable to get the scan tool to communicate with my car? (he has already troubleshooted to check power to tool etc...)
3. Trying to figure out 2 things...what would cause the scan tool not to communicate? secondly what would cause these engine lights to come on in 1st place. any help would be great..thanks
4. I did put a new VSA switch in..but never did the VSA memorization.. before battery died.
5.This is an independent shop..regardless of codes..shouldn't scanner communicate?..Is it possible to get engine lights out without scan tool working?
where you able to fix the problem?
Old 11-04-2022, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
if you have ever connected anything to the FCAN, if you reverse the Hi and Low lines, then the VSA will illuminate. And it may possibly effect the communication with the scan tool. If the scan tool uses the FCAN (and I think it does) then if the FCAN bus is in error, then nothing will work right on that bus.
There is a difference between the 05 and 07/08 FCAN. If I remember correctly the FCAN is connected directly to the diagnostic link on the 07/08. But On the 05, I am not sure how the scanner communicates with the ECU. It probably connects to the FCAN somewhere in the system but I dont know where at this time.. I never had a problem with that.. I just was trying to help someone once on a 3.5L engine upgrade and discovered that the communications with he ECU is different on the 05 vs 07/08. And I dont remember all the details. But I think if the Sanner is set for an 07/08 instead of the 05, it may not work right.. Because the pinout is different on the diagnostic link.. So ya, won't communicate properly. But you do need to make sure any connections you did on the fcan was done properly, if you ever changed anything.
Still, you never know.. maybe you have a problem on the VSA itself?? Who knows! Troubleshooting that will be difficult without a scanner because you cannot find out what the VSA error code is.. haha