RPM/Throttle Sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RPM/Throttle Sticking?

Hi everyone! I searched around the forums for a while and never had to ask a question (as other have asked/answered for me), but decided to make an account as I recently started having trouble with my RPM/Throttle. I have this weird thing where the RPM/Throttle would stick at 2K or 3K RPM whenever I would press the clutch pedal while in motion. It would stick for about 2~5 seconds and then just drop down to idle or gradually drop to idle. It doesn't happen while the car is not in motion (whether I'm in gear or not). It was never a problem until I cleaned my throttle body, intake manifold, and changed my air intake boot (my old one was torn apart lol). I figured it had something to do with the throttle so I reset the ECU, did the idle relearn procedure but the problem still persists. My local mechanic says everything seems to be alright but I'm just worried as this never happened prior to cleaning/replacing the air intake boot. I've attached a video (please excuse the crappy recording; I never drive and touch my phone so this was a first lol). Another guy recently told me it could be my O2 sensor (I highly doubt it as a I never got a code for my O2 sensors). Please let me know what you might think it is, thanks all!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Epic Rev Hang.mov (2.41 MB, 106 views)
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Not having much luck interpreting the recording. Seems to be one, very brief, acceleration episodel
Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Not having much luck interpreting the recording. Seems to be one, very brief, acceleration episodel
Haha yes, I understand that my recording isn't the clearest of them all. I suppose it might help if I were to elaborate on what is happening? During acceleration, the car acts normal (as seen). However, the moment you see the RPM drop and stick at around 2,300 RPM, my foot has been on the clutch pedal as I get ready to shift into the next gear/neutral. Although it looks like I have shifted into the next gear, the only thing that I've done was engage the clutch pedal. From my understanding, the RPM/throttle should drop at a constant rate and not stick for several seconds before dropping back down to idle. Does that help clarify it a bit?
The following users liked this post:
frankjnjr (07-27-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
It should stick for a second or so at the RPM proper for the higher gears. There are several threads on rev-hang over the years that talk about this. Now if it is sticking longer than that...something else is up.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jackass
It should stick for a second or so at the RPM proper for the higher gears. There are several threads on rev-hang over the years that talk about this. Now if it is sticking longer than that...something else is up.
Yes, I’m familiar with the rev hang topics on the forums. I figured it was rev hang at first but it never occurred prior to the cleaning/intake boot replacement. In addition, it varies occasionally. Sometimes it’ll stick for just briefly as shown in the video and other times it’ll stick until the car has come to a complete stop. Generally, however, it’ll stick for 4 seconds (I’ve counted numerous times lol)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jackass
I know that it's been over a month or so now. I spent a lot of the time researching and cleaned out my throttle body/intake manifold again. Unfortunately just cleaning out the throttle body/intake manifold didn't solve the issue. I'm leaning towards my APP sensor (original APP sensor with 223k miles) but I haven't gotten any codes. Also, I don't feel like I share the symptoms as described by other forum members aside from my car jerking as soon as I get off the gas (especially in lower gears and/or higher RPMs). I had looked at all my mounts and they all seem to be okay. Is there any way I can test the APP sensor?
Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Advanced

So I recently took my car into a Honda dealership by me to check out an engine knock that they could not duplicate (go figure). Told the technician about the issue that I was having with my throttle sticking. Turns out that my throttle is sticking because my clutch is sticking? Weird because my personal mechanic told me that my clutch still felt good and there were no issues when he took it out for a test drive. My throwout bearing is bad anyways so maybe I'll change out the clutch whenever I have time to do so.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim4296
So I recently took my car into a Honda dealership by me to check out an engine knock that they could not duplicate (go figure). Told the technician about the issue that I was having with my throttle sticking. Turns out that my throttle is sticking because my clutch is sticking? Weird because my personal mechanic told me that my clutch still felt good and there were no issues when he took it out for a test drive. My throwout bearing is bad anyways so maybe I'll change out the clutch whenever I have time to do so.
Sorry, but my B-S-O'Meter is registering pretty high on that diagnosis. Not sure what the issue is, but I am having an exceedingly difficult time believing it is anything clutch related.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sorry, but my B-S-O'Meter is registering pretty high on that diagnosis. Not sure what the issue is, but I am having an exceedingly difficult time believing it is anything clutch related.
Haha I completely agree. I figured if the clutch was sticking, it wouldn't just stick at certain RPMs, it would be more frequent and/or sporadic. That being said, I have no idea what else it could be. One of my buddies (who is a mechanic) says its nothing crazy, but I have yet to see that happen in any other car, especially a 3G TL. At first I figured it was just a rev hang, but I don't think a rev hang will actually cause my throttle to stay open at 2,000 RPM for several seconds.