Rough Idle, acceleration and speaker clicking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rough Idle, acceleration and speaker clicking

Hi everybody,

My 2004 has 158K on it. It needs suspension work and the dash is cracked in 12 places. I bought it new and after all these years and issues, I'm ready for a new car. I say this because I don't want to put a lot of $ into it. I'm a little verbose. I tried detailing what I've done to this point.

I had clicking in the driver's dash speaker. The clicking was directly tied to acceleration; the higher the engine revved, the faster the clicking. Then it started to run rough and lose some power. In neutral it will not rev above 5500 RPM...

Thought it was a coil. My middle coil at the front of the hood has gone before several times. Simple fix, right? Nope. Replaced it and didn't help. Process of elimination... Swapped all the coils with new one. Driver's coil near the windshield - OIL in the tube, coil and all over the plug. I cleaned the plug, put it back in and everything was great!

Two days later the center dash speaker starts clicking and the engine starts shuddering again. I recheck and re-swap the coils ( I had kept the one I replaced at the beginning of this saga). I then pulled the spark plug I had cleaned and replaced with a brand new one. Still have the problem.

So do I get a $90 six coil set from Amazon and cross my fingers? Also get new spark plugs too? That'd put me at $120-$130. Would a clogged EGR valve account for the clicking? I replaced it a few years ago. I guess I could remove it and inspect.

I'm just kinda done. I'd love not to have anymore issues with this car for the next month or two.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Time to put it out to pasture it seems?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

That's how I'm feeling. Ideally, I'd like to wait another month or two. Plus I feel like I have to fix it to actually sell it...
Old 09-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Green&CamelTL
Hi everybody,

My 2004 has 158K on it. It needs suspension work and the dash is cracked in 12 places. I bought it new and after all these years and issues, I'm ready for a new car. I say this because I don't want to put a lot of $ into it. I'm a little verbose. I tried detailing what I've done to this point.

I had clicking in the driver's dash speaker. The clicking was directly tied to acceleration; the higher the engine revved, the faster the clicking. Then it started to run rough and lose some power. In neutral it will not rev above 5500 RPM...

Thought it was a coil. My middle coil at the front of the hood has gone before several times. Simple fix, right? Nope. Replaced it and didn't help. Process of elimination... Swapped all the coils with new one. Driver's coil near the windshield - OIL in the tube, coil and all over the plug. I cleaned the plug, put it back in and everything was great!

Two days later the center dash speaker starts clicking and the engine starts shuddering again. I recheck and re-swap the coils ( I had kept the one I replaced at the beginning of this saga). I then pulled the spark plug I had cleaned and replaced with a brand new one. Still have the problem.

So do I get a $90 six coil set from Amazon and cross my fingers? Also get new spark plugs too? That'd put me at $120-$130. Would a clogged EGR valve account for the clicking? I replaced it a few years ago. I guess I could remove it and inspect.

I'm just kinda done. I'd love not to have anymore issues with this car for the next month or two.
If you don't want to tackle the issues I'll take the car off your hands!

The issues are simple fixes.
1. Clicking - bad amplifier, noise from the electrical system causing issues. You can get it refurbished for $265 and it'll be better than new.
2. Suspension work - you can buy the Tein SA and ride at factory height for under $800. If you look hard enough, you can buy used TL shocks for under $200 and get them installed for about $200. You probably need lower control arm bushings and an alignment.
3. The coil/plug/reduced power :

Check your oil level and add oil. You need a new spark plug tube gasket in the spark plug that is getting coated in oil. You'll have to remove the valve cover to replace it, pretty straightforward.

Cracked dash - buy a cover for it, or you can get an upholstery shop to cover it in leather/alcantara for under $400.
Did you do the 105K mile service with waterpump or timing belt?

Also in Neutral the ECU limits the rev to 5500 as not to damage the valvetrain.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Yeah dude you are not in that bad of a spot. A car this old will need a few things fixed and all of the things you described are fairly common issues with the TL. The poster above pretty much nailed it on the head if you ask me. L

If you really dont want to sink money and time just get the spark plug tube replaced at the shop, dont look at the dashboard, and either dont use the radio/turn it up really loud/ or take out the speaker or amp that is causing the vibrations.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Could you have a bad ground somewhere that is causing interference on the speakers?

Are you getting good spark? The fact that the "clicking" changes with RPM makes me wonder if there is a short to ground somewhere in the ignition system.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

I appreciate everyone's advice.

After I removed the spark plug and cleaned it the first time, the car was great and the speaker clicking disappeared. So I think @cu2wagon might be on to something.

As for the dash, my wife cannot not look at it. I'm also not sure I want to put $800 into the suspension if I'm selling it in a couple of months.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:18 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
1. Clicking - bad amplifier, noise from the electrical system causing issues. You can get it refurbished for $265 and it'll be better than new.
Please Share
Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanCHICL
Please Share
I am also curious about this. Even just a link to previous thread would be cool.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenSpades
I am also curious about this. Even just a link to previous thread would be cool.
heeltoe listing:
https://www.heeltoeauto.com/audio-sy...jes.test1.html