Ridiculous Seat Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous Seat Wear

My '07 TL with 33k is having excessive seat wear. I strongly feel this is a defect, especially because the passenger seat is showing 3 times the wear of the driver seat.
When I initially approached the subject with my dealer, they were very quick to say that it wouldn't be covered. I'm baffled for many reasons:
1. Leather in a Hyundai would hold up better.
2. Obviously its not a BMW, but with all of my BMW's even if there were scratches on an interior panel, they would clack their heels and replace it, even if I didn't ask. I'm amazed there's such a chasm in warranty coverage. (As many have stated in other threads, BMW's Leather wouldn't come close to this kind of wear; even at 3 times the age).
3. I'm disappointed that the dealer isn't even trying to be a client advocate.

The car is still under the original warranty, plus I have CPO and AcuraCare Wrap. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get new mirror actuators installed. I plan to bring it up again then. Any support or encouragement is greatly appreciated!

I attached pictures. Sorry for the quality/lighting. The first two are the driver seat. These pictures don't do justice to how bad the seats are (especially the passenger seat):

Last edited by Jaybird124; 08-30-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
looks like it needs a cleaning more than a deffect to me... i see some scracthes but if you have something in your pockets or rings when you put your belt on it can scratch the surface... the lighter leathers get dirty fast for sure
Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by murph145
looks like it needs a cleaning more than a deffect to me... i see some scracthes but if you have something in your pockets or rings when you put your belt on it can scratch the surface... the lighter leathers get dirty fast for sure
It's tough to tell with the pictures, but the dye has actually come off. That's not dirt.
My 335i had white leather, in the 2 years I had it, it never collected dirt or changed color. (I only say that to reflect my clothes, rings, etc couldn't have done this).
I wear suit pants in the car and haven't even driven this car when I go to the gym.
Regardless, the durability of the dyes and materials is extremely subpar considering it can't last 3 years.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe those side pieces are vinyl and not actually leather. The leather is the part your ass sits on.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I believe those side pieces are vinyl and not actually leather. The leather is the part your ass sits on.
Either way.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
My seat bottom was replaced 3 different times under warranty for similar wear issues. Jonathan @ Ferman Acura FTW.

Maybe try a different dealer? If that is not an option, maybe contact Corporate?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
depends on the dealer-I had mine replaced by the dealer because of rips-no problem.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ggesq
My seat bottom was replaced 3 different times under warranty for similar wear issues. Jonathan @ Ferman Acura FTW.

Maybe try a different dealer? If that is not an option, maybe contact Corporate?
I might go by Ferman. Thanks for the tip!
I'm trying to figure out the hoops I might have to jump through. If I contact corporate, and they try to be stoic, what's the best course of action? In other words, who do I threaten to go to if they give resistance?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Acura doesn't exactly use the best quality leather for their seats. BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus use a much more durable quality.

The most noticeable wear spot is the lower left side of the back pillar from the rubbing of getting in and out of the car. Mine looks like shit in that spot.

Just wait until you price the replacement leather!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMZ
Acura doesn't exactly use the best quality leather for their seats. BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus use a much more durable quality.

The most noticeable wear spot is the lower left side of the back pillar from the rubbing of getting in and out of the car. Mine looks like shit in that spot.

Yeah I'm out on paying out of pocket. Their defect. They can cover it.

Part of it is I've been dealing with an incompetent dealer. They didn't even get my transmission right last time I was in there.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i got my seat replaced under warranty for similar wear, except i have the ebony silver interior. honestly sometimes i think it was a better idea to just stick with the wear then get it replaced, if you say you are already dealing with an incompetent dealer, the amount of stuff they are going to break in replacing the seat is crazy ... trust me i had to deal with a lot of crap after getting my seat replaced
Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ

My sister-in-law and her husband own two lexus-light interior that looks terrible with the stains and wear.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VQPower37
i got my seat replaced under warranty for similar wear, except i have the ebony silver interior. honestly sometimes i think it was a better idea to just stick with the wear then get it replaced, if you say you are already dealing with an incompetent dealer, the amount of stuff they are going to break in replacing the seat is crazy ... trust me i had to deal with a lot of crap after getting my seat replaced
I can definitely see what you mean.
I'm looking to go to another dealer to have the seat issue addressed.

What stuff did they screw up that maybe I should look out for?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

ok well first when the replaced the bottom cover,
it looked horrible the replacement piece was crooked and i told them i wanted that fixed
while taking out the seat again i suppose they tore the vinyl on my glove box so i had to have that fixed by them
then in winter i realized they had forgotten to put my seat heater back in so i had to get that put back in
when they were putting the seat heater back in they slit the top part of the seat cover
so i had to take the car back again to get it repalced again.
then i realized the plastic backing on the back of the seat was loose so i had to go back to get that fixed.

it was a year long process to pretty much get my car back to preseat changing condition.

best of luck to you man
Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
The only reason my car went to the dealer was for the power steering recall. Possible engine fire is the only thing that will get me to take my car to them at this point (they did an awesome job BTW, probably because I was on my knees begging them to be careful with it). I'll use black duct tape before I have them change out anything.

Maybe just have them give you the part? Doubt that will work, but worth a shot.

Last edited by Mug; 08-31-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaybird124
I can definitely see what you mean.
I'm looking to go to another dealer to have the seat issue addressed.

What stuff did they screw up that maybe I should look out for?
Bringing my car in later today for seat bottom replacement, Cerritos acura here in socal has been great for service and has replaced the seat bottom leathers of several of my friend's TLs. The TL leathers a softer and more fragile than even the ones found in the accord, and they will not replace them on account of wear and tear (wear marks, stress marks, scratches). However if you look at the perforated part of the seat and you see cracks/splits ( use ur fingers to stretch the leather) this makes for a strong argument for premature leather deterioration.

Find the dealership in your area that is know for accommodating service and be real nice to your service manager
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

before u take the seat in to be replaced, i would recommend giving it a good cleaning and c if ur happy with those results
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VQPower37
before u take the seat in to be replaced, i would recommend giving it a good cleaning and c if ur happy with those results
Already done that. It's not dirty. In fact the dealer had attempted to dye the seats before I even bought the car.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This is a known issue across the board for Acura.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

mine looks like shit too but only the drivers side...
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

There is a lot of mobile interior repair businesses around now. I had an issue with a tear in my leather and they came and fixed it for 60 bucks. It's amazing what they can do. You cant tell it was ever there.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

That can't possibly be normal. My 2004 TL seats look like that, but slightly better because the coloration hasn't changed on the seats like they have on yours.

Condition that leather and see if it makes any difference. Honestly, though, my TL looks like that in terms of wrinkles in the leather, but that has come from years of use and not because of any defect. The fact that your TL looks like that means you (or a previous owner) never took regular care of the seats. The leather will do that over time, but abuse and lack of preventive care will only accelerate that process.