Review of the "Driveline Vibration"... after the TSB is applied...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Review of the "Driveline Vibration"... after the TSB is applied...

It seems there aren’t too many people doing this update yet, so I got some information to share on this board.

I recieved the info from ACuraR, then called my dearler to get the info.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...09#post1205909

And, after the dealer applied this fix, I have to agree what xedap1998 said below.

Originally Posted by xedap1998
Last week when i had my leather seats swapped out for 05 seats they also did this damper and it seems to be smoother but i think there is still slight vibrations. Maybe something else needs to be adjust or fix..someone else get this done and confirm my finding..dont want to get everyone hope down
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...88#post1212788

We used to have so many members complaining this driveline vibration, Thread #1 & Thread @2, maybe you guys should have it a try. I bet some of you guys may get the good results on your cars. Don't expect everyone would get the perfect results from this fix though.

Here is the quick review of my case.
  • Before this TSB: the slight vibration and droning sound is felt when driving in 5th gear/1500RPM/50-55MPH, it’s felt like the “lug” while driving the manual tranny.

I could feel it from the steering wheel, pedal, and the driver side floor/seat.

• After: Still, I'd say this TSB cannot completely fix the "slight vibration" on my car. I cannot feel it from the steering wheel, but still from the pedal, the floor, and the seat.

But,

Side Affect:
    1. The vibration is minimal (one of friends feels "no vibration" when driving).
    2. The noise has turned to the "soft" droning sound instead of the "low bass"-like one.
    3. The vibration in other zones (5th gear/below 1500RPM and 5th gear/above 1550RPM) is reduced from "minimal" to "almost smooth".
    4. 3rd/4th gears are as smooth as they're before.
    5. I also feel less vibration in 1st/2nd gears.

Edited at 0608 0030

I assume it’s failed on my case. The vibration seems different now, maybe I should say it’s less pronounced and it’s the “soft” droning sound instead of the “low” droning sound. However, this dynamic damper apparently eliminate other “slight vibration” and “droning sound” I had in about 5th gear/below 1500RPM and above 1550RPM. Also, I feel less vibration when the car is moving forward in 1st gear.

But, I thought this TSB should totally get rid of any kind of vibration in 5th gear/1500RPM, and make my 5th gear driving experience just be like 4th gear. Perhaps, my expectation is too high.

It’s supposed to be done with the half hour work, but the inexperienced Repair Technician may take up to 1 hour to prepare and read the guideline.

If you’re interested in doing this TSB, you should make sure your dealership has the right part prior to making an appointment with them.

Acura TSB 05-017: 5th Gear Vibration or Drone https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=28

Symptom: A vibration is felt or a drone is heard when driving in 5th gear between 50 and 60 mph at about 1500 rpm. The vibration may be more pronounced while accelerating up a slight incline.

Probable Cause: Engine vibration transfer to the rest of the vehicle.

Corrective Action: Install a dynamic damper onto the bottom of the front subframe near the rear engine mount.

Diagnosis: Test-drive the vehicle on a smooth road, preferably one with a slight incline. With the A/T in the SS mode and in 5th gear, maintain a steady speed with an engine speed of about 1500 rpm. Then lightly press on the accelerator pedal. This causes the transmission to obtain a more complete lock-up, which causes the engine to lug more.

Note:
  • This problem is not related to the transmission or the torque converter.

• Do not confuse this problem with wheelor tire imbalance or flat-spotting.

If you do notfeel or hear a vibration or a drone, or you cannot duplicate the vibration by repeating this procedure, disregard this service bulletin, and continue with normal troubleshooting procedures.

If you feel a vibration or hear a drone, and you can easily reproduce this by repeating the procedure, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE
Old 06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the text of the TSB. I'm still looking for the PDF or scanned image of the TSB so if anyone has it, I'd love to get a copy of it to take into the dealership. Do you have any idea what this part looks like and what the part number is (from the TSB?)
Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
My bad. It's here. https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=28

I should make it easier to see.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Good Info RETS, I made an appointment with the Dealer (also have a drive belt issue https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116725) for the following Friday...I will post the findings.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Vibration issue

My 05 TL is 3 months old and have complained to Acura from the beginning about this noise. I have a copy of the TSB affecting 04s and been working with a ACS rep in Calif. since I've informed them I'm Lemon lawing the car as is if they don't totally eliminate the vibrations. They have a Field Tech scheduled to check it next week. They installed the dampening kit on the rear motor mount but while slightly quieter, the drone and vibs are annoying and obvious. They had 2 shots at it and they get 2 more in NY to get it right. Told them I want a new one without the extra effects or going the legal route. I'll keep you posted....... Love the car, hate the noise!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Does the majority of owners of 05 TL have this issue? Or is it more 04 related? I have to try and see if I can duplicate this situation. BTW, I have an 05.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:26 PM
CJB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anubus12
Does the majority of owners of 05 TL have this issue? Or is it more 04 related? I have to try and see if I can duplicate this situation. BTW, I have an 05.
I've had my 05 for 2 months and 4,000 miles.
I have to vibration at all, at any speed
CJB
Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

05 no problem.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lf05tl
05 no problem.

Are you sure? Just wanted to make sure that noone with an 05 has complained.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by rets
It seems there aren’t too many people doing this update yet, so I got some information to share on this board.

I recieved the info from ACuraR, then called my dearler to get the info.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...09#post1205909

And, after the dealer applied this fix, I have to agree what xedap1998 said below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...88#post1212788

We used to have so many members complaining this driveline vibration, Thread #1 & Thread @2, maybe you guys should have it a try. I bet some of you guys may get the good results on your cars. Don't expect everyone would get the perfect results from this fix though.

Here is the quick review of my case.
  • Before this TSB: the slight vibration and droning sound is felt when driving in 5th gear/1500RPM/50-55MPH, it’s felt like the “lug” while driving the manual tranny.

I could feel it from the steering wheel, pedal, and the driver side floor/seat.

• After: Still, I'd say this TSB cannot completely fix the "slight vibration" on my car. I cannot feel it from the steering wheel, but still from the pedal, the floor, and the seat.

But,

Side Affect:
    1. The vibration is minimal (one of friends feels "no vibration" when driving).
    2. The noise has turned to the "soft" droning sound instead of the "low bass"-like one.
    3. The vibration in other zones (5th gear/below 1500RPM and 5th gear/above 1550RPM) is reduced from "minimal" to "almost smooth".
    4. 3rd/4th gears are as smooth as they're before.
    5. I also feel less vibration in 1st/2nd gears.

Edited at 0608 0030

I assume it’s failed on my case. The vibration seems different now, maybe I should say it’s less pronounced and it’s the “soft” droning sound instead of the “low” droning sound. However, this dynamic damper apparently eliminate other “slight vibration” and “droning sound” I had in about 5th gear/below 1500RPM and above 1550RPM. Also, I feel less vibration when the car is moving forward in 1st gear.

But, I thought this TSB should totally get rid of any kind of vibration in 5th gear/1500RPM, and make my 5th gear driving experience just be like 4th gear. Perhaps, my expectation is too high.

It’s supposed to be done with the half hour work, but the inexperienced Repair Technician may take up to 1 hour to prepare and read the guideline.

If you’re interested in doing this TSB, you should make sure your dealership has the right part prior to making an appointment with them.

Acura TSB 05-017: 5th Gear Vibration or Drone https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=28

Symptom: A vibration is felt or a drone is heard when driving in 5th gear between 50 and 60 mph at about 1500 rpm. The vibration may be more pronounced while accelerating up a slight incline.

Probable Cause: Engine vibration transfer to the rest of the vehicle.

Corrective Action: Install a dynamic damper onto the bottom of the front subframe near the rear engine mount.

Diagnosis: Test-drive the vehicle on a smooth road, preferably one with a slight incline. With the A/T in the SS mode and in 5th gear, maintain a steady speed with an engine speed of about 1500 rpm. Then lightly press on the accelerator pedal. This causes the transmission to obtain a more complete lock-up, which causes the engine to lug more.

Note:
  • This problem is not related to the transmission or the torque converter.

• Do not confuse this problem with wheelor tire imbalance or flat-spotting.

If you do notfeel or hear a vibration or a drone, or you cannot duplicate the vibration by repeating this procedure, disregard this service bulletin, and continue with normal troubleshooting procedures.

If you feel a vibration or hear a drone, and you can easily reproduce this by repeating the procedure, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE

did it this last week , minimal change though. my car was at dealer for several days they replaced several parts including exhaust heat shield because Acura thought that the cause for the humming engine noise , I guess they are just clueless or looking for a workaround.

I am very disappointed. I believe Honda/Acura can fix the vibration problems if they really want to but it costs dollars, big dollars so they just put bandages on and hope that would suppress the compaints.

Waiting for new IS350, and this TL baby is gone. I believe it is a design flaw but Honda was desperate to release new cars so unless the problems cause safety issue, they don't care. I compare it to s/w you buy, it probaly has severla bugs but as long as the s/w package does not cause data-loss, it is a go.

The fact that Honda did not fix the TL tranny issue for 6 years, that tell alot about them. I was dumb enough to get sucked into buying the 2004 TL.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Instructor

I'm gone.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
10th Gear

I had the TSB done on my 04TL last week. I have noticed an improvement but I would not say that it has completely solved the problem. I don't know if what I am feeling is from the crappy EL42's that I still have on the car.

It did help.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Instructor

I did it as well...similar results as the other folks. You can defintely tell that something was improved but it is not all gone...I can still feel it in the steering wheel which is really irriating.

The tech explained to be that not all the vibration could be removed because the car naturally has some vibration...this statement i find to be completely BS. The 05 loaner I had while my car was in the shop did not have this vibration...is this a characteristic of 04? or just of manual cars? (the loaner was auto, mine is manual) or was i just plain unlucky?

The loaner I drove also had EL42 so I dont' think that would be the factor.

Is there a chance that if I brought it to another dealer the results would be better?

Anyways i'm a bit annoyed going back to a vibrating car after driving the loaner for a few days. I love the TL...but i'm beginning to be very dissapointed in Acura.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aGenKa
...is this a characteristic of 04? or just of manual cars? (the loaner was auto, mine is manual) or was i just plain unlucky?
I have a 2004 6MT (late build) and have no vibration issues. I have driven for the last month on the EL42s (my rims had to be re-powder coated so they took the rims with Pzeros I have driven since Day 1) and have seen no issues.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
another vibration and drone theory

Just the other night when i was listen to my exhaust at night when it is dead silence around i can hear a vibration/drone or something shake in the exhaust. It can only be heard if it is quiet around. This is at idle , imagine what kind of vibration it would do at higher RPM. I need to lift up the car to see if any part of the exhaust is not aligned correctly
Old 07-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

My '04 TL is currently at the dealer for this TSB service. I feel the vibrations through the accelerator pedal and the steering column. Based on your comments, I'm not expecting much improvement after the service.

They gave me an '05 TL loaner car and not only are there no vibrations, but the acceleration feels much smoother and livelier. On my car, I feel that I have to depress the accelerator harder to get the same amount of acceleration as the '05. My car feels heavy and sluggish in comparison.

I don't know if the sluggish acceleration is related to the vibration issue, but the service manager for the dealer test drove my car and did feel a difference (he says he drives an '05 TL on a daily basis). The problem is that he says there's probably little that can be done for the issue. He mentioned that Acura makes a lot of subtle changes to the car (suspension and parts) between model years. I asked why these changes were not documented in the brochure, but he didn't really answer the question. Most likely, Acura doesn't want to admit that the '04s have any issues that are nor documented in a TSB.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with the driveline issue. I almost wish they hadn't given me an '05 loaner because even though I believed there was a problem, it became more pronounced once I drove the loaner.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Instructor

melny...my thoughts exactly. it's just so dissapointing after driving a car that is free of problems....i guess we were just unlucky.

an explanation for the quicker loaner car could be the adapted ECU of the loaner car, which is prolly driven much more aggresively then your car.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Well, I picked up my car last night and the TSB fix partially improved the vibration issue. I suppose it won't get any better unless another TSB is issued.

Overall, I feel better than before. If anyone happens to have other repair work done for this issue, please post so that we can all benefit from it. This forum has been very useful to me, whether it be diy rattle fixes or finding TSB bulletins.

The only other thing I may try is to unhook the battery cables and reattach them to reset the computer. I guess if I drive aggressively right afterwords it may help with acceleration.

Anyway, good luck to others with their cars.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:21 PM
BocVos

I have a 2005 TL and while I can not speak to the severity of what our 2004 brothers are experiencing, the 2005 still has a noticeable vibration.

Find a straight piece of road and as soon as the car hits 45 - 50 mph AND the rpms are at around 1500 you can feel the vibration and hear a slight change too.

If the rpms are at 2000 or if you are driving 55pmg it goes away completely.

It is mild enough that I would not bring it to the dealer so perhaps the dampener has already been installed?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy no change

I had my first scheduled service since the vibration fix was released by Acura, and was really excited about getting rid of the annoying problem. Unfortunately I didn't find any significant change in the vibration. Perhaps my problem wasn't as severe as others, but I was really disappointed in the results. If anyone gets any good ideas about additional things to try in the future, please let me know.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, my old TL brethren, I am glad to see that Acura is trying to fix this issue on the 04 TLs (still somewhat there on the 05s too).

However, I am saddened that they did not fix it completely.

I was told that they may never have a fix for it, and it seems that they still do not have a complete fix 2 years later.

All I can say is thank heaven I went with their offer to buy it back and did not foolishly keep it.

I still wish you much luck on this issue, I know it drove me nuts when I had it for 3 short (but very long) months
Old 08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Cruisin'

Lucky so far!

I got lucky. I had the TSB work done about a week after it was published and the 1500 RPM-50 MPH vibration is gone.

Maybe I just can't hear/feel it over the window/dash/sunroof/etc. squeaks and rattles!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

Vibration gone finally!!!!!

Acura tried and tried but nothing. They tried the TSB and nothing. Today I put on a set of 18 inch enkeis with 245/40/18 pirelli pzero neros and gone!!!!!!!
No vibration at any speed. finally the car I expected!