Replaced starter, won't turn over once every 10 tries or so.. 06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced starter, won't turn over once every 10 tries or so.. 06 TL

Hi,
My 2006 Acura TL A/T recently wouldn't start. After going through these forums it seemed like it was the starter, so I replaced it and it started right up. This morning, on my first attempt to start it, it didn't turnover (same issue I had before replacing the starter). The second attempt it started right up. I shut it down and tried a few more times with no issue. Later on, tried a few times and one time it didn't turn (seems to be about once in every 10 tries). What can issue be.. bad starter or something else?? I'm pretty confident in my install, especially since there wasn't much to do to replace the starter.

When I was searching for a cause to the initial issue, before I decided to replace the starter, people had talked about a bad ignition switch.. I'm wondering if that's a cause. My wife used to keep about 5 lbs of keys and mace and what have you on her keychain .

Any input would be great, thanks!!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
Battery.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Battery.

I replaced the battery with a brand new one when I changed the starter also..
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
what's the state of the positive battery terminal?
The following users liked this post:
Fusarelli (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for battery terminal/post. I had issues with a previous vehicle (not TL) that would do the same thing yours did. The engine would also randomly turn off, but most the time it would start back up. After 3 months and having to tow it in I finally learned there was a problem with the connection on the positive battery terminal.
Fusarelli (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Fusarelli
I replaced the battery with a brand new one when I changed the starter also..
Check the positive cable clamp for looseness or corrosion as well as the sheathing for a foot or two behind the clamp to make sure corrosion is not the culprit.

Also check the ground connection on the negative cable.

Welcome to AZ.
Fusarelli (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 AM
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for the input..

When I installed the battery everything looked ok, I brushed the terminals and used (I forget what it was called) the lube/jelly stuff autozone sells in a small packet as well. I will check everything out again tonight and let update this weekend if it has or hasn't happened again. Thanks again!!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Racer

Just as an FYI, I ended up replacing the original battery cable clamp with a DIY version (click link below) and I noticed pretty significant corrosion on the starter cable. No signs of any corrosion yet...

My Post in the Big 3+1 Thread
Fusarelli (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input..

When I installed the battery everything looked ok, I brushed the terminals and used (I forget what it was called) the lube/jelly stuff autozone sells in a small packet as well. I will check everything out again tonight and let update this weekend if it has or hasn't happened again. Thanks again!!
that lube or jelly might not be a great conductive for electricity.

and if your terminal post and battery wiring is fine, all evidence points to that lube/jelly giving you inconsistent start ups.
Fusarelli (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
that lube or jelly might not be a great conductive for electricity.

and if your terminal post and battery wiring is fine, all evidence points to that lube/jelly giving you inconsistent start ups.
When I was searching for the initial issue before I changed the starter I did come across a few people saying the same thing about the jelly.. Mostly they were referring to actual petroleum jelly. I was a little hesitant to purchase the packet because of what I read, but I figured if they sell it then it should be doing more good than harm. Do you recommend I disconnect and remove the jelly? I have some oxide inhibitor on hand that I use for my electrical stuff (I'm an electrician by trade), should I try that or leave it alone?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM
6th Gear

Exclamation

Originally Posted by AndrewA
Just as an FYI, I ended up replacing the original battery cable clamp with a DIY version (click link below) and I noticed pretty significant corrosion on the starter cable. No signs of any corrosion yet...

My Post in the Big 3+1 Thread
That looks good, I like what you did. I will inspect it tonight
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
When I was searching for the initial issue before I changed the starter I did come across a few people saying the same thing about the jelly.. Mostly they were referring to actual petroleum jelly. I was a little hesitant to purchase the packet because of what I read, but I figured if they sell it then it should be doing more good than harm. Do you recommend I disconnect and remove the jelly? I have some oxide inhibitor on hand that I use for my electrical stuff (I'm an electrician by trade), should I try that or leave it alone?
if your terminals are clean and the wiring isnt corroded and you keep getting inconsistent starts......
apply some of your knowledge to the automotive world!!!!
Fusarelli (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Racer

Much depends on how you applied that terminal jelly. There's nothing inherently wrong in using that stuff, but you have to apply it to the terminal and connector AFTER it is connected. It's predominantly an insulator (silica particles inside of silicone) so you just don't want it between the contact surfaces of the terminal and connector.

Of course, Autozone probably isn't always clear on how to use that stuff.

Originally Posted by justnspace
if your terminals are clean and the wiring isnt corroded and you keep getting inconsistent starts......
apply some of your knowledge to the automotive world!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by AndrewA:
Fusarelli (02-27-2014), justnspace (02-27-2014), thoiboi (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 AM
6th Gear

Much depends on how you applied that terminal jelly. There's nothing inherently wrong in using that stuff, but you have to apply it to the terminal and connector AFTER it is connected. It's predominantly an insulator (silica particles inside of silicone) so you just don't want it between the contact surfaces of the terminal and connector.

No they typically don't come with directions. And I did exactly the opposite of what you just stated

I will removed the terminals and clean the jelly off and reconnect
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Kind of like the last time I went to Autozone to buy some brakes for my brother in law's car, the cashier gave me some anti-squeal grease and told me to rub it on the face of the pads and on the rotor to keep it from squealing

Yaaaa, let me do it to the brakes on YOUR car....

Genius.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem on my 05 TL. I will try to replace the starter and see if that helps. Thanks for the post OP.