Removing middle console

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing middle console

I just purchased an after market navi system. I want to hide the cord and have it plug in to the outlet in the console. I see that there is a hatch at the bottom of the console. Can anyone inform me how to lift he console up to get the cord under there?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

The TL service manual has the precise instructions on how to remove everything, but just warning you- it's royal pain in the butt since you essentially take apart the entire front cabin just to mess with the center console.

Also, before I continue, are you referring to the center console (with the radio/CD unit) or the armrest between the driver and passenger? They are two different things, and the armrest is a heck of a lot easier to deal with than everything else. I would hate to give you more instructions than you need and have you tear apart your car for nothing.

Keep in mind that regardless of which outlet you are referring to, you will have part of the wire sticking out (unless you plan to drill holes in the plastic to run the wires through).

Let me know what you are referring to and in the meantime I'll dig up the pages of the service manual for you to work with, along with some threads that I know will help you (since I have done this twice in the last three weeks) with pictures.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
10th Gear

I'm trying to replace the center console (arm rest to ash tray's) on a 2004 TL any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Advanced

i was referring to the armrest between the driver and passanger seats.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Perfect, I was hoping it was only the armrest. To remove the center console you have to remove the armrest and everything else, that would've sucked to have to go all the way like that.

It' fairly simple to do. Here are the pictures from the service manual itself:

Just go until you get to the shifter assembly, you don't need to do that to remove the armrest.

Most people use a dull butter knife and a soft cloth towel to pry the plastic metal-looking trim pieces so you don't break the clips or scratch anything. That's what I did and it worked perfectly both times I have done it.

Here is a thread with videos that I found EXTREMELY useful since seeing really is believing.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ter+console+TL

It should only take three or four minutes to remove the whole thing, tops. Just make sure you keep track of the screws, they can fall between the seat and console and it is annoying to have to dig for them.

If you need any help or want pictures, let me know and I'll take mine apart and take pictures for your references.

And if try not to lose or break any of the clips that hold the trim pieces together- you can actually go without one or two of them in case they do break, but just be careful. If they do break, don't freak out too bad, though- you can get them at the dealer for about .50-.75 cents each so they're relatively easy to replace.

Good luck! I hope this info helps you as much as it helped me!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

I am trying to replace a bulb on the seat heater switch and believe I need to remove the rear portion of the console. I hate to sound like an idiot But are there nuts on the screws referenced in step 3 (C)? The screws just seem to turn but do not back out. Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will hopefully get underway with the project soon. Seems clear enough. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How and what did you remove to get to the seat heater bulbs? Many thanks in advance.

azdoran@cox.net 2007 TLS
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

No problem, I'm glad I could help

As for the seat heater bulbs, the screws references in step 3 (C) should just come right out.

Personally, when I have taken my console apart the last few weeks I actually unscrewed the cupholder assembly from its place as well because it made it a lot easier to work with. There should be 3-4 screws for the cupholder, and of course the two that you see (C).

I don't remember C having nuts to retain them in place, so they should just come right out. Once you take out the cupholders, though, you should be able to have an easier time taking them out.

As for the heater bulbs, once you've pulled the console back you will see the seat heater electrical connections (you can see them faintly in step 4 of the center console panel removal/installation, the steps I told you to ignore, at the very bottom). I never removed the bulbs for the seat heaters since mine still work, but I will dig up the info since I'm sure it's hot hard at all.

I'll also step outside and take mine apart so I can take some pictures for you since I find it easier to follow a real-life picture instead of just the service manual.

Hang tight, I got ya back.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

The screws did not have nuts. I was able to pry up under one of them to get it out, the other I could not. I was able to pull one side of the console back far enough to remove the cupholder. I replaced all of the lights since I had so much trouble. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced

It was very easy, thank you for the instructions