Reliable rebuilt steering racks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020 | 10:23 AM
Advanced

Reliable rebuilt steering racks

Hello all, hope everyone is safe.

I have a 2008 Acura TL 5AT 3.2 and it has a dead spot in the steering wheel (loose steering) from 11 to 1 o clock where nothing happens. I have had the inner and outer tie rods replaced. It was recently diagnosed as an internally worn steering rack.

The thing is I was gonna go with rebuilt jorgen auto rack but just found out they are permanently closed. The only other company I've heard of is Turn one but it cost 445 w/ return shipping but I have to ship mine and there is a 2-3 week turnaround time which I can't afford.
Also, the OEM costs 821.

I have read really bad things about Cardone, AC Delco, BBB Vision OE, etc.

Does anyone know of any company that rebuild racks that has proved to be reliable?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 05-06-2020 | 05:12 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Try rockauto. That's where I got mine 2 years ago, though I can't remember which brand. No problems.
Old 05-06-2020 | 09:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMZ
Try rockauto. That's where I got mine 2 years ago, though I can't remember which brand. No problems.
Rockauto has New Cardone, BBB and SKP and remanufactured ACDelco.
I have read horror stories about cardone and ac delco. Don't know anything about SKP.
I am really not sure if I should buy a brand without any reviews.
Old 05-08-2020 | 02:14 PM
Racer

Choose 1:
a. High cost of Acura original part,
b. Horror stories.

Keep in mind that for every 1 horror story you read about on a non-Acura part there's anywhere from 5 to 5000 "works great" stories that you'll never read about for that part. The failure rate is never absolute zero, even for Acura (though theirs is like 1 part per jizzbillion), but some are higher than others and prices usually correlate that trend.

Notice that Rock Auto categorizes their offerings by quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by Catzilla:
Midnight Mystery (11-09-2021), ThatBlackTL (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020 | 11:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catzilla
Choose 1:
a. High cost of Acura original part,
b. Horror stories.

Keep in mind that for every 1 horror story you read about on a non-Acura part there's anywhere from 5 to 5000 "works great" stories that you'll never read about for that part. The failure rate is never absolute zero, even for Acura (though theirs is like 1 part per jizzbillion), but some are higher than others and prices usually correlate that trend.

Notice that Rock Auto categorizes their offerings by quality.
Very well written and it is a good point that I haven't thought. For every failure post on the internet, there are probably many success stories that people never mention as the part is working as expected. Since, rockauto is the only one in my budget as of now, I will wait some more until this virus situation clears and decide if I want to save some more for the OEM unit as my car is still perfectly driveable. It is just annoying on the interstate which I can adjust to. I guess, the same can be said about the replica wheels as there are many success stories with those too. If in any case, I buy the rockauto one, I will update this thread with my experience.
Old 06-12-2021 | 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ThatBlackTL
Very well written and it is a good point that I haven't thought. For every failure post on the internet, there are probably many success stories that people never mention as the part is working as expected. Since, rockauto is the only one in my budget as of now, I will wait some more until this virus situation clears and decide if I want to save some more for the OEM unit as my car is still perfectly driveable. It is just annoying on the interstate which I can adjust to. I guess, the same can be said about the replica wheels as there are many success stories with those too. If in any case, I buy the rockauto one, I will update this thread with my experience.
What way did you go? My car suddenly started making a puddle today after alignment. I am faced with the same agonizing decision. I just put $750 in tires and TPMS
yesterday.