Rear Speaker Deck fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Speaker Deck fix

Well I've had these gripes and had them addressed each time my car has been in for service or other things. 1-Rear speaker deck is uneven side to side and 2-Sound vibration that I suspected was subwoofer(treble) related. [IMG]2004 TL 009.jpg[/IMG]

3 times it went in, each time they said the level of the speaker deck was normal to all other TL's and it was due to "electronics underneath" WHATEVER! The sound vibration was fixed by a TSB that called for replacing the 3rd brake light housing which they did(and they turned down my sub/treble/bass in sound control without mention) Nothing was ever fixed.

I spent 30 minutes finding the real causes.

1-Uneven deck was due to a mushroom post from the deck itself that was never lined up with the attachment hole in the frame which I lined up and inserted down thru, deck nice and level now. [IMG]TL fix 522 009.jpg[/IMG]

2-Sound vibe was coming from the rear window vent right where the rear deck meets the back window, bounding up and down on the frame causing the vibration. Inserted some foam padding in between the vent and the frame all along the back deck. Real easy, just pull the 4 retainers from the underside of the deck in the rear trunk, drop the carpeted covering down and you have access to the entire underside of the deck where the speakers are mounted.[IMG]TL fix 522 001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]TL fix 522 005.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]TL fix 522 010.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]TL fix 522 011.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
your pics don't work. You have to link them from a host (can't upload pics on the server here).
Old 05-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

test
Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Well I've had these gripes and had them addressed each time my car has been in for service or other things. 1-Rear speaker deck is uneven side to side and 2-Sound vibration that I suspected was subwoofer(treble) related. [IMG][/IMG]

3 times it went in, each time they said the level of the speaker deck was normal to all other TL's and it was due to "electronics underneath" WHATEVER! The sound vibration was fixed by a TSB that called for replacing the 3rd brake light housing which they did(and they turned down my sub/treble/bass in sound control without mention) Nothing was ever fixed.

I spent 30 minutes finding the real causes.

1-Uneven deck was due to a mushroom post from the deck itself that was never lined up with the attachment hole in the frame which I lined up and inserted down thru, deck nice and level now. [IMG][/IMG]
2-Sound vibe was coming from the rear window vent right where the rear deck meets the back window, bounding up and down on the frame causing the vibration. Inserted some foam padding in between the vent and the frame all along the back deck. Real easy, just pull the 4 retainers from the underside of the deck in the rear trunk, drop the carpeted covering down and you have access to the entire underside of the deck where the speakers are mounted.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

Can you further explain where you inserted the foam, it is not clear to me with these pics. I have the same problem I believe, anytime I listen to music with bass it makes this rattle, and it sounds like crap.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

open the rear trunk, underneath the speaker deck(inside the trunk is a carpet lining which has 4 retainers. Remove the retainers and the lining comes down. Then you have to get in the trunk basically and look up. You'll see the trunk light in the middle as you look up, all around that from the left side of the car to the right will be "cutouts" in the frame. Up in these cutouts is where the speaker deck mounts down into the frame. Between the speaker deck padding/lining and the frame of the car is where I installed foam....

C