Really strange HID light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really strange HID light issue

Ever since I got my TL back in February, I've been having a weird issue with the passenger side light.
It would turn on and stay on every time as long as I only turned it on once. Say I turned the lights on, pulled up to somebody's house to pick up a friend, shut them off, then turn them back on when friend jumps in the car, the passenger side wouldn't come back on..
Say instead of waiting outside in the car, I stopped inside my friend's house for a few minutes to visit and then went back out, the passenger light would turn on fine.
If I left my lights on overnight (auto off) and then come out in the morning, used my FOB to unlock car (lights flash), then jump in the car and start it, passenger light goes out due to lights turning off while cranking motor.

See where I'm going with this?

NOW RECENTLY it will not come on no matter what trick I do,
it's purely chance. Comes on maybe 1 in 10 times.

And about three days later, passenger's side comes on, but now DRIVER'S side doesn't.

cycle the headlights on and off a few times and the driver's side comes on but passenger is still off. cycle them a few more times and now they won't turn on at all until car is left alone for a while.

Any idea what this could be?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
The lights shouldn't turn off when you start the engine. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I'd start by checking your battery system. When you start, you should only notice only the slightest dimming in the headlights (you'll barely be able to see it).
Old 08-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced

You're right I went and checked my lights don't turn off when cranking the motor, I guess I just always thought they did.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
I assume these are the OEM HIDs?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
How old is your battery? My battery went out last week and I kinda recall the interior lights turning off when I cranked the motor on.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dezymond
How old is your battery? My battery went out last week and I kinda recall the interior lights turning off when I cranked the motor on.
Battery is a brand spankin' new (4 day old) Interstate battery.

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
I assume these are the OEM HIDs?
I would assume as well. I'm not sure since I just got the car in February, they could be new? I don't really know.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Could be bad bulbs or ballasts. Since your driver's side is giving you trouble now swapping the bulbs may not help eliminate the bulbs as the problem. I think it's best if you find a buddy who has D2S bulbs and swap bulbs with them for a day. If the bulbs from your TL work in their car, then you can narrow it down to the ballasts at least.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Advanced

Could it possibly be ignitors?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

My 2000 TL does exactly the same thing. I've been reading all over the internet and I've come to the conclusion that this is a wide spread problem.

Always seems to be the passenger side starts acting up first. I've even read that some guys have paid the dealer upwards of $1000 to have almost everything replaced, only to still deal with the same problem.

I'm working on swapping relays currently. I also noticed that when you pull the headlight relay, the left affects the right side and the right affects the left.

I mean, when pulling the right side relay, the right side light will go out, but the left side will flicker. So they're somehow tied together.

I hate this problem! But I'll keep fighting through it.

It's very dangerous though to be driving and then sometimes have one light go and and then the next they may both go out. I turn then on and off a couple of cycles, and then they both come on again. WTF???

Vinnie
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VinmaxTL
My 2000 TL does exactly the same thing. I've been reading all over the internet and I've come to the conclusion that this is a wide spread problem.

Always seems to be the passenger side starts acting up first. I've even read that some guys have paid the dealer upwards of $1000 to have almost everything replaced, only to still deal with the same problem.

I'm working on swapping relays currently. I also noticed that when you pull the headlight relay, the left affects the right side and the right affects the left.

I mean, when pulling the right side relay, the right side light will go out, but the left side will flicker. So they're somehow tied together.

I hate this problem! But I'll keep fighting through it.

It's very dangerous though to be driving and then sometimes have one light go and and then the next they may both go out. I turn then on and off a couple of cycles, and then they both come on again. WTF???

Vinnie
ever figure out the problem and a fix for it? I'm having this same issue and I've already swapped the bulb, ballast and ignitor but no luck and know I can't find where the damn relay is to check/replace that.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
You guys need something tangible. Swapping parts will only get you so far. Simplest way is to test the circuit/wires. If the circuit is good then the problem has to be the components. Best place is to test the circuit at the relay. Here you can check for power from light switch, by pass relay (eliminate the relay), and power the HID manually. Just make sure the HID has a good ground.
The following users liked this post:
alan_rich (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 09:44 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Originally Posted by 01acls
You guys need something tangible. Swapping parts will only get you so far. Simplest way is to test the circuit/wires. If the circuit is good then the problem has to be the components. Best place is to test the circuit at the relay. Here you can check for power from light switch, by pass relay (eliminate the relay), and power the HID manually. Just make sure the HID has a good ground.
I'm sry I'm not the best when it comes to electrical issues but I can usually get the job done so please bare with me here and please tell me if I've got this correct..... I'll test the circuit at the relay (I do this with a multi meter right? And can you point out exactly where and/or which one in the under the hood fuse box is the correct relay? I've searched all over here and can't find out exactly which one it is) How do I bypass the relay and power it manually?.... I'm guessing by powering it directly from the battery but could you please explain how that would be hooked up and what if any parts or components I may need to complete it? Sorry to be such a pain but I appreciate your help. thanks man.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Drifting

State for the record what year model are we working on?
Old 12-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Mickey (Oops)

So here is the dea rel with your HIDs. No individual relays. Just one relay module (3 relays) that controls all exterior lights. The relay module is built into the under hood fuse box. To replace the HID relays you would replace the under hood fuse box... $300.

Plan B

To test your HID circuit simply test for a hot and ground at the HID. If the hot and ground is good at the HID then the circuit is also good. Therefore, the fault is in the igniter or ballast.

HID Power Wires

RT side - red/green wire.

Left side - red/yellow wire.

Black is ground RT/LF. Check for continuity between the wire and the neg battery post.

If the hot at the HID is less than 12 volts then the relay module is bad.

If the hot at the HID is intermittent (12v) then it could be the relay module or light switch. To isolate the faulty component you need to test the light switch. If the light switch tests OK then replace the relay module and visa a versa.

To test the HID assemblies themselfves simply run a hot and ground straight from the battery to the HID plugs. It will either turn on or not. If not replace the igniter or ballast or both.

Last edited by 01acls; 12-21-2016 at 07:34 AM.
alan_rich (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
05 TL A-Spec

state for the record what year model are we working on?
05 a/t
01acls (12-23-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:21 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Mickey (Oops)

So here is the dea rel with your HIDs. No individual relays. Just one relay module (3 relays) that controls all exterior lights. The relay module is built into the under hood fuse box. To replace the HID relays you would replace the under hood fuse box... $300.

Plan B

To test your HID circuit simply test for a hot and ground at the HID. If the hot and ground is good at the HID then the circuit is also good. Therefore, the fault is in the igniter or ballast.

HID Power Wires

RT side - red/green wire.

Left side - red/yellow wire.

Black is ground RT/LF. Check for continuity between the wire and the neg battery post.

If the hot at the HID is less than 12 volts then the relay module is bad.

If the hot at the HID is intermittent (12v) then it could be the relay module or light switch. To isolate the faulty component you need to test the light switch. If the light switch tests OK then replace the relay module and visa a versa.

To test the HID assemblies themselfves simply run a hot and ground straight from the battery to the HID plugs. It will either turn on or not. If not replace the igniter or ballast or both.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Ok LAST question I promise, what exactly do you mean by "light switch"? The little knob off the steering wheel you flick to turn the lights on? Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Drifting

Yes test the light switch on the steering column because if that's defective there may not be a signal from the light switch to trigger the HID relay module to power the HIDs.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:28 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Yes test the light switch on the steering column because if that's defective there may not be a signal from the light switch to trigger the HID relay module to power the HIDs.

Ok. The issue I'm having is ONLY with the drivers side headlight. The passenger side is and has been working with no issue ever. If the problem was the switch...... wouldn't both the left & right sides be affected by it together? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by alan_rich
Ok. The issue I'm having is ONLY with the drivers side headlight. The passenger side is and has been working with no issue ever. If the problem was the switch...... wouldn't both the left & right sides be affected by it together? Thanks.
Yes that's correct. So you need to determine whether it's the circuit or HID component(s) as noted in Post #14. I'm assuming you've already swapped the bulbs.

Originally Posted by alan_rich
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Ok LAST question I promise, what exactly do you mean by "light switch"? The little knob off the steering wheel you flick to turn the lights on? Thanks again I really appreciate it.
I was simply answering your question in Post #17.

Last edited by 01acls; 12-23-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Recap

​​​​​Light switch is good, right side circuit is good, right HID components are all good.

Components that's unknown.

1. Left headlamp relay?

2. Left HID Bulb?

3. Ignitor?

4. Ballast?
Old 12-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
you need to verify consistent power to the ballast/igniters

Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear

No power to fuse for HID headlights

I am having a similar problem with my 2008 Acura MDX. My HID headlights are not getting power from the fuse. I have checked all fuses, all relays, replaced the switch on the steering column, headlight bulbs are fine, ballasts are fine, no moisture. It is just not getting power to the fuse box for just the HID headlights in the fuse box. Everything else works with the car. Any suggestions? I am guessing it is a possible clean cut on a wire somewhere since no fuses or relays have blown.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F9fly
I am having a similar problem with my 2008 Acura MDX. My HID headlights are not getting power from the fuse. I have checked all fuses, all relays, replaced the switch on the steering column, headlight bulbs are fine, ballasts are fine, no moisture. It is just not getting power to the fuse box for just the HID headlights in the fuse box. Everything else works with the car. Any suggestions? I am guessing it is a possible clean cut on a wire somewhere since no fuses or relays have blown.
No power at which one of the two fuse boxes, or both fuse boxes?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

The secondary fuse box, 30 amp.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F9fly
The secondary fuse box, 30 amp.
Do the high beams work?