Rattling windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling windows

My car started having these problems where the windows seem to make a rattling sorta, window against metal (?) noise, in both front doors. The problem is very hard to replicate, and it seems that windows rattle more when the interior is either too hot or too cold. This is so annoying, and the dealer has no idea what it is. Dealer tech suggested tinting to try to tighten it up, but the damn thing didn't go away. This problem did not occur for the first year of ownership. I remember detailing my car, and applying Armor All protectant to door seals, not sure if thats related.

I've read the other post about cleaning and lubricating the channels, but think this is a bit more severe. Any suggestions? as to what is the cause?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
there is a post on this. but clean the wndow seals with a rag and apply a slight coat of shnitsu grease in side the seal. keep the seals clean.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Racer

I posted here because thought rattling windows have nothing to do with dirty seals, or at least I cant find an explanation to that.

When a seal is dirty that it would prevent the window movement, actually tightening around the window. What I am having is a loose window... please correct me if wrong.

I def. want to try cleaning the seal but would like the dealer to do it for me, especially that my ride is still under full warranty. What should I say to make them do it?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Kostyan
I posted here because thought rattling windows have nothing to do with dirty seals, or at least I cant find an explanation to that.
I def. want to try cleaning the seal but would like the dealer to do it for me, especially that my ride is still under full warranty. What should I say to make them do it?
I just responded to your post in the other window thread as follows: "Some of the posters here had a similar problem which was caused by the door mirror housing..."

Have the dealer look at the mirror housings & trim.
G/L.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kostyan

When a seal is dirty that it would prevent the window movement, actually tightening around the window. What I am having is a loose window... please correct me if wrong.

you would be suprised on what the dirt can do.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Racer

talked to my service advisor over the phone. Turns out they did fix the door seals per Febr 08 bulletin (inserted noise cancelling tape) and cleaned out the door channels, but that fix does not work. They are ordering all new door seals, going to replace that next week and see if solves anything.

When rolling driver's door window all the way down and slamming the door, instead of a "thud", I hear a rattle. All other doors close with a thud. I showed this to an Acura tech right in front of a service advisor, and they were clueless. next time i am dropping it off they better fix it or i'll be calling Acura corporate on them.