Rattle fixes for several items

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle fixes for several items

I fixed 3 rattles which were anyoying to me on my 2007 TL (none of which could be fixed by the dealer):

1) Glove Box rattle
2) center armrest rattle (mainly when armrest was extended without your arm on it)
3) Driver's side window rattle

The glove box rattle was rectified via several actions: 1) The glove box was opened all the way, sides pushed in to release the door so that is fully opened, 2) next a black "arm" on the right was unhooked and adhesive felt (purchases at any craft/arts store was placed on both side of the first 1 inch of the arm immediately after the hook on the arm - no too much because the arm is retractible and only that 1 inch or less does not retract inside the pump further in the dash which pivots from side to side (this seemed to correct the majority of the rattle knocking sound) and rehook the arm on the door latch and close the door (you'll have to re-pinch the side again to close the door itself. 3) I noticed that the hooking latch on top where the glove box closes (black bar) can move up and down a little which also caused a knocking side on the right side of the glove box door (go figure) then took adhesive felt and place it on the bottom and top of the plastic around the opening of the where that black bar sticks out (this stop that latch bar from moving up or down and bumping the sides of that opening) and 4) lastly, I place adhesive felt bumpers (little black heavy duty 3/8" size - smaller and a thinner that what you see under chairs on hardwood floors) on the two bump outs - one on each side of the dash on each side of the black bar latch which created a little more tension when closing the door. So far, no rattles no matter how hard the bumps are on the road.

Center Armrest rattle fix
: take those little 3/8" felt bumpers cut one in half and place each half (which the armrest up) on the very edges of the two tracks - one on each side - and then place one of the those litter felt bumpers inside the armrest (with the top tray down and the arm rest slide all the way forward) where the inside track glides on the two rails - one on eash side. Then close the armrest. There should be little "wiggle" movement now. This solved the problem quickly and inexpesively. No more rattle.

Finally, driver window rattle: I cut a 2 inch x 2 inch square from the adhesive felt sheet (black felt of course) and then, with the window open, I placed the unstuck felt (don't peel the paper off the back yet) in the back top corner of the window on top of that rubber contoured strip and traced the contour needed so that the felt would only cover ABOVE the high part of the black rubber usually around the middle of it - make sure the felt is pushed all the way up and over into the corner crevice before you trace it. Cut to the desired shape, peel the backing and stick the felt right on that rubber piece make sure the felt is all the way up and over (about half of it should be into the window channel. This has completely eliminated window rattles which emminated from the top and back corner of the window when it was all the way up before. Becuase the felt is black, it cannot be seen from outside the car - you might see it a little under the glass but it would not be noticeable to anyone else. Do not line the felt all the way across the top of the rubber strip along the window - this make it rattle more initially until I removed it and placed just a small piece in the corner. I guess the felt fills a tiny space which allow the window to move slightly before creating the rattle.

P.S. Lubricating window tracks and everything else the dealer tried never worked. I noticed this was a common problem.

The only squeak I have now is in the roof liner where it appears part of the liner is becoming unstuck from the ceiling board. If I push up on the ceiling above the driver (no where else) I here this sticking and unsticking sound. This one may be for the dealer. Has any one experiences this problem?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
good post... but
Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by JRTech
The only squeak I have now is in the roof liner where it appears part of the liner is becoming unstuck from the ceiling board. If I push up on the ceiling above the driver (no where else) I here this sticking and unsticking sound. This one may be for the dealer. Has any one experiences this problem?
yes... there is a piece of velcro in there that gets loose. You can DIY but you might break a bunch of very filmsy plastic clips and visor parts.

I've been in there and I strongly recommend you to take it to the dealership for that one... it's a major PITA to get there without breaking stuff.

btw, excellent first post. Welcome!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Center Armrest rattle fix: take those little 3/8" felt bumpers cut one in half and place each half (which the armrest up) on the very edges of the two tracks - one on each side - and then place one of the those litter felt bumpers inside the armrest (with the top tray down and the arm rest slide all the way forward) where the inside track glides on the two rails - one on eash side. Then close the armrest. There should be little "wiggle" movement now. This solved the problem quickly and inexpesively. No more rattle.

I can't really visually picture this
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took mines today to the dealership for a rattle i had on the drivers side pillar. They claimed they fixed it but when i drove off that sh!t was still there. Im gonna call them and tell them they did nothing first thing in the morning.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Cruisin'

I'll see if I can post some pictures regarding my fixes within the next few days.

Regarding the squeaky B-pillar, a friend of mine had that problem on their 2006 TL and it ended up being the two pieces of panel that joint each other. The dealer removed one of the panels, lined it with felt and place the panel on the back on the B-pillar and that solved the problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Cruisin'

I did notice a "rattle" intermittently in the B-pillar (not a squeak) which seems to be coming from the seat belt retractor. It only happens occassionaly and sounds more like clunky hard drive right next to my left ear - like there's a spring in there with little or no tension on it and just rattles at certain times - almost temperature related if that makes sense. The dealer also could not duplicate it at the time and it hasn't annoyed me yet. I'll mention that one again to dealer when I bring it in for the headliner problem. Maybe they can just order another seat belt retractor (I think that's what its called anyway).
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

there is a metal ball in the seatbelt retractor that sits in a platic cage. This ball stops the seatbelt if it's moved out of it's resting position by g-force.

unfortunately that's where the rattle comes from and there is probably nothing we can do to stop this one.

another question, where did you find black felt. I know it sounds stupid but I can't find any.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kennyc
there is a metal ball in the seatbelt retractor that sits in a platic cage. This ball stops the seatbelt if it's moved out of it's resting position by g-force.

unfortunately that's where the rattle comes from and there is probably nothing we can do to stop this one.

another question, where did you find black felt. I know it sounds stupid but I can't find any.

Thanks!
I found it at an arts and craft store (in RI its called Micheals) but I think its some national chain. The adhesive felt is the same type of felt found in stores that sell it as a mat for inside cabinet pull-out draws. I found some at another store but it was green - that wouldn't look pretty for the window fix though. you might find it in stores that sell glitter and glue and all that kind of stuff.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

Help! How do I post the pictures for my rattle fixes? If I click on the insert image icon it get some weird text box.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I can post the pictures for you. Email the pictures to me at
Z6@ZNTD.COM
Old 04-06-2007, 06:13 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I found it at an arts and craft store (in RI its called Micheals) but I think its some national chain. The adhesive felt is the same type of felt found in stores that sell it as a mat for inside cabinet pull-out draws. I found some at another store but it was green - that wouldn't look pretty for the window fix though. you might find it in stores that sell glitter and glue and all that kind of stuff.
I have a Michael's here. Thanks!

I can host pictures for you as well. PM me if you need it.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Here are the pictures:

First is the glove box where the felt bumpers are placed (four in total - make sure the two bumpers on the door line up with the two next that hook you see - and also adhesive felt tape on the top and botton of that hook you see):

Next is the glove box arm and additional felt bumper on the side of the glove box. You'll see the black adhesive felt covering only about 1 inch of the arm on other sides after the hook itself, this stop the side to side knocking:

That should stop the glove box rattling.

Next, the center arm console where you see two half pieces of felt stuck the center console where the center arm closes (these are brownish in color but the felt is heavy duty):

The above stops the armrest from knocking against the base of the center console. This next picture shows the placement of two felt bumpers inside the armrest where the gliding track is, this will stop the up and down rattle movement of the armrest itselt against is sliding track:

Finally, the infamous window rattle. I tried several things and so the did the dealer that didn't work, this however did. You see with the window down, that I place and little piece of adhesive felt all the way up and over (into the door frame area) which you can see from this photo:

The above photo shows how little adhesive felt is needed for this. I slightly pushes the corner of the window away from the door frame which caused all that constant rattling. Next is a photo with the window up which (because the felt is black is can barely be seen - although I don't thing anyone would ever really notice as I have the light shining directly on):

Let me know if this helps anyone.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Great camera work. Pics look great. For someone that did not now how to post pics yesterday, you learned quick. Excellent photos
Old 04-07-2007, 08:52 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Thanks JRTech!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:03 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
excellent, that center console rattle, only when extended bugged the heck outta me

Ty for pics.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for the instructions and the pics I will try. I have a constant window rattle that dealer can't fix. Thanks......dap200
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the help JRTech. Pictures are great. I'm in CT and there are plenty of Michael's around here. Looking forward to giving the window rattle fix a try.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

No problem. I haven't had any window rattle issues to date since the felt trick. Has anybody tried this and rid themselves of the rattling window syndrome?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
OCD over my TL

Any way to see these pictures again? Not visible anymore. Just bought '06 TL and the glove box is rattling.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

The pictures are only seen as little blue boxes with a question mark in it. I have a mac, anyone know why the pictures wont load on my screen?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Just life on the internet. The pics are gone. This happens often on all forums. Folks post pics using a hosting service, then months or years later (over one year ago in this case) and that hosting account gets closed (membership not maintain). Bye bye link to pics.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Advanced

can not see the pics for some reason.
would love to get the rattle noise away
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are the pictures:

First is the glove box where the felt bumpers are placed (four in total - make sure the two bumpers on the door line up with the two next that hook you see - and also adhesive felt tape on the top and botton of that hook you see):

Next is the glove box arm and additional felt bumper on the side of the glove box. You'll see the black adhesive felt covering only about 1 inch of the arm on other sides after the hook itself, this stop the side to side knocking:

That should stop the glove box rattling.

Next, the center arm console where you see two half pieces of felt stuck the center console where the center arm closes (these are brownish in color but the felt is heavy duty):

The above stops the armrest from knocking against the base of the center console. This next picture shows the placement of two felt bumpers inside the armrest where the gliding track is, this will stop the up and down rattle movement of the armrest itselt against is sliding track:

Finally, the infamous window rattle. I tried several things and so the did the dealer that didn't work, this however did. You see with the window down, that I place and little piece of adhesive felt all the way up and over (into the door frame area) which you can see from this photo:

The above photo shows how little adhesive felt is needed for this. I slightly pushes the corner of the window away from the door frame which caused all that constant rattling. Next is a photo with the window up which (because the felt is black is can barely be seen - although I don't thing anyone would ever really notice as I have the light shining directly on):

Let me know if this helps anyone.
wish i could go back in time and see these pics....