Random power loss issues (electric)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random power loss issues (electric)

I've got a 2007 TL Type S where I will randomly lose power. It happens while I'm driving, idling or if the car is off. Symptoms while the car is on are the radio / nav cutting out and rebooting, loss of 12V in sockets and a very slight (1 sec) hesitation. Headlights do not flicker and the MID does not reset, occasionally the NAV will ask for the security password again, but the radio will not. It will also lose power right on shutoff of while the car has been off, symptoms include the inability to remote / power lock the car, MID resetting to 0, security code required for both nav and radio.

Has anyone seen this before or have any guesses to what's wrong?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Check the + battery cable. At this age, it might be corroded on the inside where you can't see the corrosion.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Agree with DMZ. Several of us had either a failed/corroded clamp or cable leading off of the battery. The clamp is easy to see, but the cable is not.
The following users liked this post:
DMZ (09-27-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Terminal clamp

The clamp on one of the battery terminals is probably loose.
Vibrations during operation shake the circuit open and closed.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

I've checked the clamp and it's tight, I've replaced it fairly recently. I'll have to check the cable, is resistance is the best sign of it?
Old 09-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am experiencing the same issue as well!!. I contacted the Acura dealership, and they said it could be a blown fuse, a bad battery, or a broken wire? Its tough for them to determine, w/o any inspection. My GPS screen randomly powers off for a brief moment, and then comes back on. The same thing happens with my odometer and other gauges. My AC or heating controls power on by themselves as well when I experience this random power loss... I'm going to look at the battery. Any other suggestions? Tx
Old 09-23-2017, 12:03 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by teg_101
I am experiencing the same issue as well!!. I contacted the Acura dealership, and they said it could be a blown fuse, a bad battery, or a broken wire? Its tough for them to determine, w/o any inspection. My GPS screen randomly powers off for a brief moment, and then comes back on. The same thing happens with my odometer and other gauges. My AC or heating controls power on by themselves as well when I experience this random power loss... I'm going to look at the battery. Any other suggestions? Tx
Your car is losing its electrical power connection.
See posts 2, 3 and 4 first.
Then check the negative battery cable at the ground end -- several members discovered them loose on their TLs.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck figuring it out. It's getting cooler now and I haven't had any issues the past week, I've checked 2/3/4 and it all looks good. A friend mentioned it might be a relay, I'll have to look into getting a replacement to try with.