Question about LSD in 06 MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question about LSD in 06 MT

Hi i have an 06 MT and from everything i have read it should have a limited slip diff. Today when i was putting on my aspec lip i tried to test it by jacking one side of the car up and having the other side on the ground. I put it in gear and released the clutch and just the jacked up wheel was spinning.

Has anyone with a 6spd tried this ? I am not sure how the lsd works, maybe this is normal. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Silva95teg
Hi i have an 06 MT and from everything i have read it should have a limited slip diff. Today when i was putting on my aspec lip i tried to test it by jacking one side of the car up and having the other side on the ground. I put it in gear and released the clutch and just the jacked up wheel was spinning.

Has anyone with a 6spd tried this ? I am not sure how the lsd works, maybe this is normal. Let me know what you guys think.
The LSD needs some load to work. Try it again in a turn, slam on the gas and the LSD will straighten out the cars path.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 PM

Thanks that sounds like exactly what i needed to know.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Silva95teg
That's a good way to ruin your LSD. Do not try that again...

The best way to check the function of the LSD is to follow the process outlined in the OEM shop manual:

Operational Check:
- Block the rear tires and place front end on jack stand (engine off)
- With car in first gear, rotate either front wheel and check that the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction
- If the opposite wheel does not rotate or you cannot spin the wheel, the LSD is faulty and should be replaced

Rotating Torque Check:
- Measure rotating torque with a flex-type torque wrench w/ transmission in neutral, turning the wheel towards the back of the car (measure max torque w/ two full turns).
- Do the same w/ transmission in 1st.
- Calculate rotating torque:

1st gear torque divided by Neutral torque should be greater than or equal to 2.5

- Repeat for other side
- Replace LSD if rotating torque is lower than service limit (2.5).
Old 11-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 94eg!

The best way to check the function of the LSD is to follow the process outlined in the OEM shop manual:

Operational Check:
- With car in first gear, rotate either front wheel and check that the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction
- If the opposite wheel does not rotate or you cannot spin the wheel, the LSD is faulty and should be replaced

Rotating Torque Check:
- Measure rotating torque with a flex-type torque wrench w/ transmission in neutral, turning the wheel towards the back of the car (measure max torque w/ two full turns).

1st gear torque divided by Neutral torque should be greater than or equal to 2.5

- Repeat for other side
Well i have no need to try it again now that i know it needs load to work. I did do the rotate tire thing and the other does rotate in the opposite direction. How does having one tire not moving and the other moving off the ground ruin the lsd ? Thanks for the info !
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 247 Posts

Operational Check:

Rotating Torque Check:

- Repeat for other side
i thought LSD would make the wheels rotate in the same direction, but open diff goes in opposite directions.. Atleast that's what I remember comparing my maxima to the integra TypeR
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Like a regular gear diff, there is still a direct gear connection to the wheels for the Honda LSD. BTW: The Type-R uses the same style diff.

As for ruining the LSD, if you apply to much engine torque with one wheel off the ground, you can break the inner workings. Type-R's are known to kill their OEM LSD's when hopping curbs or jumping rumble strips at full throttle. I don't think you did any damage with your test, I just wouldn't do it again...

Last edited by 94eg!; 11-02-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Try the first link here for a description of the Honda LSD:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 247 Posts
Try the first link here for a description of the Honda LSD:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
the typeR has a quaife limited slip right?
About ruining the TypeR, nah it's in perfect health, this year my cousin won the Solo2 Nationals woot, as well as proSolo in it.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by PhilB81
the typeR has a quaife limited slip right?
The Honda LSD is similar to the Quaife, but not the same. It is not made by Quaife either...