Question about drilling out screw that holds rotors in place...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:10 AM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey OP i just recently purchased rear rotors from "I HATE CARS" and drilled out the screws with a 7/16 bit and then hit the rotor with a hammer and came right off literally 1 minute each side. MY rotors were orginal (6 years old) with 80,000 on it and were rusted to death lol. I replaced the rotor without the screws and no problems so far.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Sorry, but those are not floating rotors. They are firmly located by the hub and rim. You can call this type of rotor whatever you want but it does not mean it's a true floating rotor. Again, I'm not aware of ANY street legal car that use a floating rotor.

It may be the popular term used to describe this type of rotor just like the TL uses a "strut tower brace" when it does not use stuts at all but it still does not make it correct.
Sorry they have been considered floating rotors for years and I posted documented proof to you. Your opinion isn't fact here while my links are.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Sorry they have been considered floating rotors for years and I posted documented proof to you. Your opinion isn't fact here while my links are.

No, it's bad terminology that over the years has been misused enough that some people just accept it or don't know any better. There is nothing floating about those rotors. They are firmly located and can't "float" once the rims are mounted. A true floating rotor will have a rigid caliper and the rotor will self-center iteslf in the caliper when the brakes are applied.

The links are wrong. I'm not stating an opinion, I'm stating a fact.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Safety Car

Links are wrong? LOL so we should believe your opinion (not fact) with nothing backing it? Okay.....I am done here.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a Nissan ROTOR/Caliper. And that bolt does nothing as I have removed these many times.

As an owner of a G35 Coupe, let me point out that the bolt you guys are arguing about on Nissan Rotors.... It's only purpose is to prevent the rear wheels from being mounted on the front. If you take a look at the back side of the OEM wheels on the 350Z and G35 Coupe, you'll see a notch on the back of the front wheels where the screw/bolt will rest. This is to prevent the rear wheels from being mounted up front.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Maybe I can shed some light on this... To the best of my knowledge (admittedly may be wrong, but bear with me)

Floating rotors have nothing to do with how the rotor is attached or not attached to the hub... A floating rotor, simply means the rotor is attached to the hat with float buttons, which allows the rotor lateral movement when the brakes are applied.

If you refer to the top image of these rotors, you'll see the bolts securing the rotor to the hat. These bolts are actually float buttons which allows the rotor to laterally move a very small amount. To prevent rattling, every other float button is replaced with a special spring clip as pictured in the second image.

Last edited by avs007; 05-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced all 4 rotors for the 2nd time on 02 TL nav. 92k. 7 out of 8 screws came off with impact driver. the last one snapped off. Be sure to use anti-seize when reinstalling them. The noise issue may have been caused by the backing plate being bent and rubbing on the rotor. More important be sure the caliper guides move freely for even wear. Also I question the steel quality of some replacement rotors.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Team Owner

Links are wrong? LOL so we should believe your opinion (not fact) with nothing backing it? Okay.....I am done here.
Finally...

Actually, you're right, they are floating rotors....

Until you mount the rims.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by avs007
Maybe I can shed some light on this... To the best of my knowledge (admittedly may be wrong, but bear with me)

Floating rotors have nothing to do with how the rotor is attached or not attached to the hub... A floating rotor, simply means the rotor is attached to the hat with float buttons, which allows the rotor lateral movement when the brakes are applied.

If you refer to the top image of these rotors, you'll see the bolts securing the rotor to the hat. These bolts are actually float buttons which allows the rotor to laterally move a very small amount. To prevent rattling, every other float button is replaced with a special spring clip as pictured in the second image.

Yes sir! Those are true floating rotors. Movement is VERY small though.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

For the few that refuse to listen to the facts...repost

"The term "floating" does not mean two-piece, floating rotor. It is Centric's terminology for a rotor that can be removed without also removing the vehicle's wheel bearings or hubs."

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Dodge/Viper_SRT-10.htm

http://www.topbrakes.com/brakeInstall.php

Most newer vehicles utilize 'floating rotors'. This means that the rotor is separate from the hub. Floating rotors have the advantage of being able to be installed easier and do not require replacing the hub at the same time. However, one of the disadvantages of floating rotors is that are actually held on by the wheel. It is critical that whenever wheels are mounted and dismounted that the lug nuts are torqued to the proper setting
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Team Owner

"The term "floating" does not mean two-piece, floating rotor. It is Centric's terminology for a rotor that can be removed without also removing the vehicle's wheel bearings or hubs."

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Dodge/Viper_SRT-10.htm

http://www.topbrakes.com/brakeInstall.php

Most newer vehicles utilize 'floating rotors'. This means that the rotor is separate from the hub. Floating rotors have the advantage of being able to be installed easier and do not require replacing the hub at the same time. However, one of the disadvantages of floating rotors is that are actually held on by the wheel. It is critical that whenever wheels are mounted and dismounted that the lug nuts are torqued to the proper setting
You really don't know when to give up. I read your two links and yes, they are wrong. If I provided you some links saying the sky is green, would you believe it or your own eyes? That's the problem today. The internet is incredibly full of mis-information. You have to wade through the BS and try and figure out fact from fiction. I'm not blaming you but you have to keep an open mind here. You are wrong, nothing wrong with that but you are not even open to people who have done this forever. I'm sorry you choose to believe some random internet site, that's your bad, but you are dead wrong and so are they. I see so much of this even on reputable sites.

Stoptech with one exception seems to have some really good info.

The most important thing to remember: Just because it's printed on a website does not make it a true fact.

It would be pure comedy to tell a road racing crew you have floating brakes stock on your TL. I can only imagine what they would say.

Think of what the word "floating" means. Now think about your brake assembly as it sits with the tires mounted.

The rotors cease to be floating as soon as you install the rims period. They are rigidly mounted.

I'm tired of arguing such a basic well known point. Since you like links so much, here's one for you. It puts to rest all of this nonsense. Take note that nowhere does it refer to the way the rotor is fastened to the hub, only to how the friction surface is fastened to the hat.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/fa...rsystems.shtml
Old 05-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Don't know about this argument, but according to IHC, he knows more than the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NHTSA). For your reading pleasure, start at post #26:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/psi-issue-776614/
Old 05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Drifting

The definition of a floating rotor, is that the rotor is able to move (or float) laterally as the brakes are applied, to compensate for imperfections in the rotor surface...

Rotors that do not utilize float buttons to attach to the hat CANNOT MOVE LATERALLY, and thus are NOT floating.

As far as web sites are concerned.... I can point you to websites that state that an airplane on a conveyer belt cannot take off, but that doesn't make it so.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Drifting

If you go to wikipedia, and look up disc brakes, then scroll down to "warping", there is a paragraph describing "floating rotors".

It says it's a two piece rotor where the friction surface is decoupled from the inner hat to allow lateral movement to compensate for warping of the rotors.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Don't know about this argument, but according to IHC, he knows more than the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NHTSA). For your reading pleasure, start at post #26:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776614
Lets keep it on topic and keep your hatred to yourself. Yes, I can think for myself and I realize when a paper is reviewed by a lawyer vs an engineer. Saying you should never switch tire size or rims is an incorrect statement to cover their own asses. If you wish to continue this conversation, do it in that thread, K bye
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by avs007
The definition of a floating rotor, is that the rotor is able to move (or float) laterally as the brakes are applied, to compensate for imperfections in the rotor surface...

Rotors that do not utilize float buttons to attach to the hat CANNOT MOVE LATERALLY, and thus are NOT floating.

As far as web sites are concerned.... I can point you to websites that state that an airplane on a conveyer belt cannot take off, but that doesn't make it so.
That's exactly my point on both the rotors and the internet.... except yours is written better.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/B]
As the link says: " IT IS CENTRIC'S TERMINOLOGY..."

It is not correct terminology. Motorcycles have floating rotors. Very few cars do. Sit back and try to learn something. I HATE CARS is very knowledgeable in these areas.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using easy-outs. Works for me every time over the past 27 years of doing Honda brakes.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

I have been working on cars for 20 years, nothing to learn. It is common sense. EOD.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been working on cars for 20 years, nothing to learn. It is common sense. EOD.
"Nothing to learn."

Volumes spoken in a few words. Out