Quest to buy my first TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quest to buy my first TL

Hey all I am new and seeking advice please. I recently found a 2008 TL with 76k on it. Seller is asking 9300. I MO a good deal. However here's where things get messed up. Took it for pre-purchase inspection and they found that the bushings need to be replaced and because of that the front tires need to be replaced as well due to irregular wear ($550) Also found a small oil leak the problem is the mechanic told me that he couldn't see exactly where it is coming from. I want the car but I am scared that leak may end up costing me. What do you guys think!? Hope I can be an Acura owner soon and contribute to the group. Any and all feedback appreciated. THANKS
Old 04-23-2017, 11:14 PM
5th Gear

He is fIrma on the 9300 btw
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
maybe dont post multiple threads for the same thing.....and youll get a response.
find out where the oil is leaking from....that will probably make your decision for you
Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 PM
5th Gear

Yah sorry I didn't know where the appropriate thread was
Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Bushing aren't unexpected...it is one of the handful of somewhat common issues on these cars.

The oil leak...well...that really depends on where it is coming from. These engines aren't exactly known for oil leak. The most common seem to be the rear main seal and/or the oil pump, both of which can be dealt with more easily during the Timing Belt replacement.

Unless of course it isn't even oil, but possibly power steering fluid which quite often just requires the replacement of the o-rings on the pump.
The following users liked this post:
DeedsTL (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
If the car is clean and without issues elsewhere, $9300 isn't too unreasonable. Make sure to run the VIN to make sure the title comes back clean. You definitely don't want to get burned there. You do have to consider the cost of repairs in the overall price of the car.

If the issue with the oil leak is the rear main seal as Jackass mentioned, then it's not a cheap repair. In order to get to the seal you have to remove the timing belt and drop the oil pan. So if that is the cause, then you might as well get the TB service done while a shop is doing it. Do you know where the oil is leaking from? Oil on the passenger side sub-frame near the oil filter is where I would expect it to be. For TB and rear main seal replacement/repair, you are probably looking at around $1k from a reputable shop.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
many TL cars have a similar oil leak and in my mind it's common. I probably know about 12 owners right now that have this leak or some version of it. sounds cheap but you can keep topping it off until you do the timing belt job and really look into it. it will add anywhere from 600-800 on top of a regular timing belt change cost when you do it. i've had my leak for about 15k miles and will continue topping it off for the next 80k miles haha. it's only about 1 qt an oil change

bushings are common

pics of car?
good luck!
The following users liked this post:
DeedsTL (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:46 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NoTLoud
If the car is clean and without issues elsewhere, $9300 isn't too unreasonable. Make sure to run the VIN to make sure the title comes back clean. You definitely don't want to get burned there. You do have to consider the cost of repairs in the overall price of the car.

If the issue with the oil leak is the rear main seal as Jackass mentioned, then it's not a cheap repair. In order to get to the seal you have to remove the timing belt and drop the oil pan. So if that is the cause, then you might as well get the TB service done while a shop is doing it. Do you know where the oil is leaking from? Oil on the passenger side sub-frame near the oil filter is where I would expect it to be. For TB and rear main seal replacement/repair, you are probably looking at around $1k from a reputable shop.
Thank you! The leak is just where you expected under the passenger side. The mechanic said probably around the oil filter housing area but needs to check further to determine the extent