Quantum Physics Is Probably Easier

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quantum Physics Is Probably Easier

Really, it's another car won't start thread. But no dice with the search function.

I have(had) the HFL problem which has been draining my battery. I finally disconnected it and installed a new one yesterday. After I installed a new battery the car wouldn't start, only clicking. So, this morning I decided to put the almost dead batter back in and jump it. got it started and drove it to the dealer. They installed yet another new batter, even though I told them that probably isn't the problem. They installed it, and it started. Better yet, it started for me when I picked it up. Drove it home, same problem, just clicking when the key is turned. Mind blowing isn't it? lol

Sounds like a simple connection problem but honestly I have no idea. Wouldn't the accessories not work if it were connection?(they all work fine btw) I'm hoping someone will have some other ideas so I can start it tomorrow and bring it back to the dealer to get my 180 dollars back and have them run through it.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Could be the starter. It's a little early for an 07 starter to go out, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Racer

It picked an interesting time to go if that's the case.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
You can do a few simple things to see if the problem is the starter or not.

1. Does the car make a rapid clicking noise or is just 1 click?
- If rapid clicking the starter is trying to turn but isn't getting power -> Dead battery
-If it's 1 click, it's something with the starting system

Checking the starting system:
2. Get a multi-meter and place it on the battery terminals, red to positive, black to ground. Try starting the car with ALL accessories (A/C, radio, lights, etc) off.

If you get a voltage drop of around 0.1-0.4 Volts that means that the ignition switch is fine and is sending a signal to the starter to start. If you don't get this then there is something wrong with the ignition or with the starter solenoid wiring/solenoid.

If you get a voltage drop of 2-3Volts that means that the starter is drawing on the battery to start but isn't able to turn over. This could mean that the starter has worn parts that won't allow it to move or it's seized. Tapping on the starter will sometimes get it to work.

I HIGHLY suggest registering on Autozone's website! They have a free guide to troubleshooting various things with the car including the starting system.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Racer

CS, thanks good info. I had a feeling it was the starter but didn't have time to deal with it. One click. It's a starter, at least that's what i knew. Car in my driveway, the tow truck driver banged it a few time while i turned the key. Started up, drove it to the dealer. Now it's still at the dealer and...guess what, it turns over every time. It's almost as good as my PCM issue was.

Do I replace it? I feel bad, (but not really) but I'm picking it up wednesday and I think I'm going to bring it to my guy to do the starter along with the rear brakes which need to be replaced.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Rebuild it or exchange it. Less than $100. Fairly easy DIY to replace. Hardest part is the bolts for the battery tray.

Very surprised that rear brake pads need replacing on an 07. I have 130K miles and mine are still good.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Racer

Unfortunately I live in a hilly area so a lot of hill descent. Plus a lot of braking from high speed and traffic negates the benefits of the stick i would guess.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Racer

I picked it up and it's starting. I'm waiting for it to fail me again. I might look into doing it myself. I looked at the options, I see mitsuba as the OEM and denso and bosch as optional aftermarkets, all reman. The bosch is the most expensive. I would have guess without looking at the price that the bosch is the best way to go.