Power window goes down but not up

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power window goes down but not up

Hi, my 04 TL has a window issue. Three windows work as designed. However, the front passenger side is not working. That one will go down normally, but when I try to roll it up, from either the driver side switch or the passenger side switch it goes up an inch or so and then back down. Up then down. Sometimes it will go up a little ways and stay there. Usually I can get it closed by doing it a little way at a time until I get it all the way up. Anyone else experience this?

I have an 04 with about 90K on it.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya I've had the same happen to me. From what I understand it's somewhat of a common problem. Mine's been resolved for some time now though so I can't remember what the problem was. It may have been the tint that made the window less slippery and the auto-up feature had problems with it
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts
Happened to me too when installing my window visors. But after 10 mins of pressing the button it worked and i rarely use it now coz of the fear of not rolling up again. Never gave me any problems so far its been 3 months now and is working fine
Note:its the passenger front window
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have noticed with a lot of cars made by Honda have a lot of issues with the switches, if you change the switch it will start working fine and it only costs like 35 bucks
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I copied this from one of the TL manuals a while back, can't recall which one. Maybe this will help you:

Window Reset
Page 22-224

1. Turn Ign switch on

2. Move the driver's(passenger's) window all the way down by using the driver's(passenger's)window DOWN switch.

3. Open the driver's(passenger's) door.

NOTE: Steps 4-7 MUST be done within 5 seconds of each other.

4. Turn the ingnition switch OFF.

5. Push and hold the driver's(passenger's) window DOWN switch.

6. Turn the ignition switch ON.

7. Release the driver's(passenger's) window DOWN switch.

8. Repeat steps 4-7 three more times

9. Wait one second.

10. Confirm that AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN do NOT work. If AUTO UP and DOWN work, go back to step 1.

11. Move the driver's(passenger's) window all the way down by using the driver's(passenger's) window DOWN switch.

12. Pull up and hold the driver's(passenger's) window UP switch until the window reaches the fully closed position, then continue to hold the switch for 1 second.

13. Confirm that the power window control unit is reset by using the driver's(passenger's) window AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN function.

If the window still does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure several times, paying close attention to the 5 second time limit between steps. If it still does not work, go to B-Can System Diagnosis Test Mode A(see page 22-108)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your windows also have a safety feature built into them where if they see to much resistance while going up they will automaticly roll down. This is a safety feature that keeps people from getting there hands caught between the window and frame. So if there's something hanging the window up like a bad window track seal, thick tint, visor, this could happen. I would spray some soap and water inside the track to see it stops until it dries. If so, it could be the seal.