Power steering pump rebuild problem, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015 | 07:11 PM
Racer

Power steering pump rebuild problem, need help

So I took my PS pump off and replaced all of the orings and seals. I cleaned up everything very well and made sure I put everything back exactly the way it supposed to. Before I took the PS off, I drained the reservoir and system following the service manual.

my problem is after going lock to lock about 20 times, driving it around, air is still getting in the system or its not all out still. How long does it take typically for all of it to get out?
I inspected everything and there is no signs of it leaking anywhere.

what's going on!
Old 10-05-2015 | 09:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thegipper
So I took my PS pump off and replaced all of the orings and seals. I cleaned up everything very well and made sure I put everything back exactly the way it supposed to. Before I took the PS off, I drained the reservoir and system following the service manual.

my problem is after going lock to lock about 20 times, driving it around, air is still getting in the system or its not all out still. How long does it take typically for all of it to get out?
I inspected everything and there is no signs of it leaking anywhere.

what's going on!
OK so I took it all back apart and realized I didn't put the vanes in correctly. The round edge of the vane must go to the outside. So I fixed that and put everything back together and it's still doing it!

wtf is going on, for Petes sake
Old 10-06-2015 | 07:15 AM
Racer

Ok I figured it out 7 hours later, third time is a charm I guess.

After I took it apart the second time and realized that I didn't put the vanes back in with the rounded edge towards the outside, I figured that was the problem and put it all back together. MISTAKE, always go back over your work and make sure everything is correct.

Part of the problem I had was conflicting information. The Manual shows the orientation of "dot marked" components different than the video that I watched. Here is the difference.
A
And here is the video that I was referencing also which was for an earlier 2G TL. That I now know was a mistake. In the video he shows the pump cam ring and pump rotor with both of their "dot marked" sides facing towards the cover (starts at 5:00). If you look at the instructions above (for a 3G TL), the pump cam ring faces down towards the cover and the pump rotor faces towards the pump itself. On the third try I realized this video references a pump that is nearly identical but actually different (there is also washer on the pump in the video that is also not present in our 3G pumps).

ANYONE planning on rebuilding their PS pump, for the love of god, make sure you get the orientation correct and ALWAYS reference the repair manual. Sometimes guys put out videos that say cover "Honda/Acura" but sometimes there are very subtle differences between each model. You would think Honda/Acura would be consistent in how they mark components and their orientation but they don't. It took me nearly 7 hours to figure that out.

Hopefully this helps someone from wasting a bunch of time.

Last edited by thegipper; 10-06-2015 at 07:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firebolt (07-03-2020)
Old 10-06-2015 | 07:32 AM
Racer

The pump was coated with PS fluid so I couldn't really tell where my leak was coming from (the main purpose I was rebuilding it, I was getting a small amount on the ground after the car sat for a couple days).

It was also starting to make some noise and I noticed air in the reservoir. The fluid was also getting pretty nasty so I completed flushed it out and replaced it was all new fluid.

It's all back together and working great again. And one last thing, it took me almost an hour to get the G..D..N belt back on. I swear, I have never had so much trouble getting a belt back on in my life. I needed a 7 year old sized hand to be able to reach any of the bottom pulleys, what a PITA!!!
firebolt (07-03-2020)
Old 10-06-2015 | 08:41 AM
Advanced

I just took mine in for service. Dealers says the seals are weeping. Wants $360 to rebuild. I can get a new pump for $325 and replace myself. Probably the route I will go.
Old 10-06-2015 | 09:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tlorencz
I just took mine in for service. Dealers says the seals are weeping. Wants $360 to rebuild. I can get a new pump for $325 and replace myself. Probably the route I will go.
Taking the pump off and dis-assembly was a piece of cake. For all of the seals and o rings it was maybe $25 shipped so if your looking to save some money, just rebuild it yourself. Just make sure you use the manual and follow the directions to a T and you'll be fine.

Or you can buy a rebuilt one from Rock Auto for like $120.

Last edited by thegipper; 10-06-2015 at 09:45 AM.
tlorencz (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015 | 09:27 AM
Advanced

$25 for new seals and o-rings is pretty good. Sounds like a good summer job when I'm driving my summer car.

Its not leaking yet and I think the dealer was just trying to upsell on maintenance. Thanks for the post.
Old 10-08-2015 | 07:17 PM
Life Connoisseur

You can print this out and have it done in 1.5-2hrs:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15473697

Reference this thread too.
Old 10-12-2015 | 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
You can print this out and have it done in 1.5-2hrs:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15473697

Reference this thread too.
Dang. Wish I would have searched a little more and found that before I dug in. Of course I did have the manual which was sufficient too if I would have just used that and not tried to reference a video that was obviously different. Oh well..