Power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering issue

I have an 06 6MT and at idle or low speeds its like I have no power steering at all. Its fine when driving along. Anyone else with this issue?

Ive searched and cant seem to find any other post with this issue.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I would also like to see a reply on this, my car seems to be hard to turn while stopped but moving is fine. Also (just bought my TL on the 14th) my fluid was low and while cold it makes a lot of noise from the PS pump. (Already looked this up and going to get that o-ring, if not, the dealer can replace it :p)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

I had the same issue with mine, 06 AT with Nav. The power steering was nowhere at low speeds such as reversing or parallel parking. The recall was done on the car so the hose was replaced; HOWEVER... the actual pump was not.

So took my car to the official Acura dealership near me and was quoted around ~$450 to have the power steering pump replaced. I didn't know how to fix it and I would rather have it professionally done by them than some off beat mechanic so I paid it. This was done less than a week ago.

Ever since then, its great. The car's steering wheel moves effortlessly in low speeds and idle. No resistance.

If you guys want to do it yourself, there is a DIY in the Garage for a power steering pump overhaul.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mine was definitely the O-ring. When the car was cold, the steering was noisy and not very responsive. This was due to air getting into the power steering line via the leak in the O-ring.
I paid 8 bucks (probably too much) on eBay for the 'kit' which included the Honda O-ring and a very detailed sheet on replacing it. Because I'm meticulous with details, my labor time was less than a half hour. To the average guy who is not as OCD as me, it would probably take half the time.
You'll need a starter wrench because of the angle, but this is one of the simplest and effective fixes I've done on a car. The difficulty level I would rate as simple - along the lines of battery replacement.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Mine was the o-ring too. And yes, $8 was WAY too much. I paid 71 cents for mine FROM Acura lol. It took me and my dad like 10 mins. So OP, I would look into this o-ring first and then if the problem persists I would replace the pump itself.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_Acura_TL
Mine was definitely the O-ring. When the car was cold, the steering was noisy and not very responsive. This was due to air getting into the power steering line via the leak in the O-ring.
I paid 8 bucks (probably too much) on eBay for the 'kit' which included the Honda O-ring and a very detailed sheet on replacing it. Because I'm meticulous with details, my labor time was less than a half hour. To the average guy who is not as OCD as me, it would probably take half the time.
You'll need a starter wrench because of the angle, but this is one of the simplest and effective fixes I've done on a car. The difficulty level I would rate as simple - along the lines of battery replacement.
Yeah $8 is too much but who cares? It beats the heck out of getting needlessly soaked by the dealer for a new power steering pump...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Which part is this notorious O-ring?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Its good time to do the Power Steering Pump Overhaul

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-pump-overhaul-pics-sm-scans-841134/

Im going to do the diy with a friend this weekend. Hopefully this will fix my problem.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Bumping this old thread...but what are the consequences of not replacing the p/s pump, aside from it just being harder to turn near idle engine speeds? I might be developing this issue but it isn't quite so bad yet and usually I can blip the throttle (6mt) and it loosens up. Can I continue to drive the car with a bad p/s pump until I can get it fixed? Aside from the minor inconvenience of having hard steering at idle speeds, I don't mind it...
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I am at the same point you are...I looked up the VIN and the recall has been done, but the power steering is no where to be found on low speed/reverse.

Not sure, if there something that could go wrong if the issue is not fixed so an answer would be good
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey Gonzalez
I am at the same point you are...I looked up the VIN and the recall has been done, but the power steering is no where to be found on low speed/reverse.

Not sure, if there something that could go wrong if the issue is not fixed so an answer would be good
The power steering pump isn't creating enough pressure. Well, flow actually but pressure is easier to understand.

If you pressure test it, which requires a special tool. It should be around 1,200psi. I've seen some at 1,000psi cause hard steering. So either a PS Pump reseal should fix it or a new pump altogether. I think there is a bulletin out for the newer MDXs with this issue.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey Gonzalez

how do you look up the VIn to see if it has been done? i would cll acura but i do not trust them they did not help me at all when my tranny failed. I am experiencing alot of noise when i turn at low speeds and it feels just a little stiffer
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 3 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 TL (AT), and the car is overall is very good condition, but I have the same problem of difficulty with the power assist during slow/stop conditions. No grinding or weird noises however..
So the consensus is that the PS pump needs to e replaced?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem, replaced the o ring on the inlet side of the pump and corrected my issues, also i work for the local honda dealer as a tech and it is a common problem on the 2003 to 2007 accords, the o ring drys out causing air to seep by on cold start ups. another thing that you guys might want to look into is replacing the pumps. there is a sb on (In) which is the honda tech website for 2005 throtugh 08 odysseys for stiff or knotchy steering at low speeds. the correction is to replace power steering pumps. seeing that tl accord and odyssey all use the same engine setups
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
lupo if it were me i would replace the 3.00 O-ring first before buying a new pump.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Racer

Went to my trusted mechanic today, and was suggested to "reseal power steering pump" on my 2006 TL w/ 60K miles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this just replacing the o-ring on the P/S pump? I did this about 10K miles ago bc of the chirping noise in the morning. They quoted me for $220 to do this, which I think is too expensive. I changed the o-ring at another mechanic for $40.

Also, I never have any issue with the power steering (or may not have noticed it), and the P/S fluid level seems to be okay too.