Please advise! Comptech RSB and noises from the back of the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please advise! Comptech RSB and noises from the back of the car

Hey everyone,
I would really appreciate knowing what you all think of this situation and what advice you might have:

Okay, so, I've had my 2005 TL 6MT for about 4 years now. The car has been relatively problem free save for one major issue I've been having for about a year now. At first, it was very faint and I thought it was the Comptech RSB I had put in 2-3 years earlier. The noise has over time gotten a lot worse. A month or two ago I brought the car to a mechanic to have the RSB regreased thinking it was that but the noise was still there.

Since the warranty is almost up, though, I decided to take it to the dealer earlier this week. After two days of supposedly not being able to reproduce the noise, they finally called me yesterday and said that the noise was due to the aftermarket RSB, and that they would stand behind their work fixing said noise if I have the old bar installed. Since I brought the bar, I had to purchase new control link arm things and some other brackets and bushings.

The total cost was $260-something which I was fine with as long as the noise was gone. But it's not.

Here's my question:
Does anyone know what this might be?
What the dealer might say?

I'm worried they're going to argue that the Comptech RSB is to blame but I just don't see how that could be since, looking at the car just now, it seems like if the bar were to blame, replacing the piece that they did would have solved the problem.

I appreciate any ideas or advice you all might have! I'm heading back in tomorrow in the morning to see what they say.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I had my for over 4 years trouble-free.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Racer

Yea, I agreed that it was the sway bar at first since I had heard people mention the possibility of squeaking after installing the Comptech bar but the fact that they reinstalled the stock sway bar, control arm link things, bushing, brackets, etc, and the noise is still there makes me think something else is to blame.

Either way, they spent 4 days with the car only to get nothing done when they could have done all that they did (which amounted to nothing since the noise is still there) in under 5 hours.

I haaaaaaaaaate dealing with service department people.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
I had a squeak with my RSB (Progress) using Energy Susp greasable urethane bushings. Only in certain situations. I changed the bushings back to the standard black bushings and the squeak went away, never to return.

Not sure if that helps you or not.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Since it's so easy, I would remove it and drive around without it for a day or two to see if the noise is still there.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Racer

So, I went to the dealer this morning, and they started working on it again. The service adviser offered me a loander, but I decided to wait so they'd feel pressed to work on it.

After 4 hours, he came to me saying that their head technician (oh lord...) had worked on the FRONT BREAKS! To fix a clicking noise I had mentioned and which they had ignored for the past 4 days! He told me this and I explained that while that was nice, it's not what I needed done and that I did have a life to get back to in Boston so they'd better hurry up (plus the warranty is almost up!).

After I mentioned that, he told me that they were also going to order new shocks and struts for the rear. I'm going to drop the car off tomorrow to get those installed.

What this experience tells me is that they have NO clue what the noise is or what to do so they've just resigned themselves to replacing anything that might help. On a brighter (but not entirely unexpected) note, they'll be refunding the cost of the RSB part I part + I got my Comptech RSB removed which I wanted. (It'll be Up for sale in Boston very soon! )
Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Racer

Just wondering,

if a car is more than 2 years old (and thus ineligible for a lemon law claim) but still under warranty, and a dealer can't fix a problem, what recourses would a person have?

They just replaced the struts and springs in the rear and the noise is still there.