Passenger Side Mirror Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:23 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Passenger Side Mirror Noise

Has anyone experienced a creaking sound from the passenger side mirror when it adjusts up/down when the transmission is placed in reverse? The passenger side mirror on my '04 TL has been making this sound for about 4 months and it seems to be getting worse.

Thanks,
TL-Rocket
Old 05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you resolved this issue? I seem to be having the same problem with my passenger mirror when tilting in reverse.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I took it to the dealer (Acura of Auburn, MA) and the problem mysteriously disappeared. I think they lubricated it (or did something). In any case, they said that they didn't detect a problem. Sure enough, when I picked up the car the problem was gone.....

Anyway, that's what happened.

TL-Rocket
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My motor inside was change to correct this issue. Lubrification is just a short term repair.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
My motor inside was change to correct this issue. Lubrification is just a short term repair.
Replying to an old thread, found this and a few other threads on the problem which has been happening to my 05 for a couple of months now. Next regular service I will ask them to look at it.

If it takes a motor replacement, so be it, but just in case anyone else is having the problem, I think lubrication (if done properly, and I can't say I'd know how that would work) could be the answer, not necessarily a motor replacement.

My side view mirror on the passenger side kinda "skips" down and makes clicking noises when tilting down for reverse, but only on warmer days (like most of summer), and the driver's side doesn't do that.

I've got the passenger side mirror selected all the time for reverse tilt-down, I rarely use the driver's side reverse tilt unless I'm parallel parking on the left side of a (one-way) street, or in really unfamiliar territory. Given only the passenger side does this and gets used all the time, I'm thinking it's a lube issue (also on cooler days, when lubricant should be less viscous, the problem isn't there).

I'm all for a complete motor fix/replacement if it needs it, but if not, I'm paranoid that "fixing" it will lead to further probs, potential scratches, yadah yadah. I think this is also the issue for the sun roof (moon roof?) tilt up function. On warmer days when tilting the roof up, it'll make a kinda groan (started after about a year), but not on the cooler days, on that one I'm almost sure it just needs lubrication... just need to find out where to lube and with what.

Any thoughts from members with similar issues wud be appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does it as well
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Mine's the same, but even though it's under warranty, I just don't feel like letting the dealer do the fix. I guess I'm just paranoid, but if it gets worse, I might as well bite the bullet!!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Intermediate

Finally a follow up to this, just took my TL in for sched. service, asked them to take a look at the passenger mirror... when I picked it up, the response was "you need a new mirror, covered under warranty". Great, I think...

I clarified that it's a whole new mirror and not the motor. According to dealership, it needs a whole new mirror, motor replacement is not an option... They're confident the new mirror will match color just fine ("Factory color..."), but I'm concerned -- not to mention the current mirror works, it just skips/clunks on warmer days.

Looking for feedback here, they ordered the new part and called me back to have it replaced this Friday (3 days from now). I know I'll definitely ask them to keep the old mirror after they replace it (just in case), I'm paranoid the new one won't match color, given most body shops beyatched like crazy about "the hundreds of Honda silvers" out there when I had my back bumper done (btw it's close, but not an exact match). The dealer says it's factory paint, won't be any probs, at all.

That all said, do I live with the old mirror, or hope for the best with a new one and ask them to swap it back (at my cost) if the new one is 2 shades different than the rest of the car? Didn't think this would involve anything more than at most a new motor, if not just someone who could figure out how to lubricate the current one...???

05 TL Navi SSM

Cheers, Sean
Old 10-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Instructor

I noticed this on my brand new '07 TL, 4,500 miles only. Noise, shudder, jerky movement when passenger mirror lowers when going into reverse.

Look forward to hearding the final outcome.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

The end result was that they replaced the whole mirror (under warranty) -- so it works fine now but of course my TL is silver and therefore the new mirror is a slightly different shade of silver than the driver's side mirror...

What I suspect happens here is that the mirror was fixable, but would take a lot of labor, replacing the whole mirror is the faster (and cheaper) way to go for the warranty claim. Of course if I was outside of the warranty period I'm sure the only solution would have been to repair the motor itself and charge me 7 hours labor to fix a $250 part.

That said I and my detailer are the only two people who can see the difference, I'm picky that way... about 95% of people won't see it, especially because it's a part that hangs away from the rest of the car. I wanted them to keep the old mirror and give it back to me but they said they need to send it back to Acura for warranty purposes.

Yeah so I realize it doesn't help much... I'd think that you're ok with black, white, navy cars, but then again, I could be wrong.

Sean
Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 AM
3rd Gear

for people who are having this issue...its becasue some how or another you pushed it back...nlike say it was snowing and you cleaned ur car, or some passenger decided to push on it...it happens. just push the mirror on the top until it clicks a couple of times. and the noise is going away. whats happenign is when it got pushed, its jumped a few teeth, the motor is desinged for all the teeth, so when it goes looking for the 3 you jumped, it grounds out and makes that clicking. its not a lubrication issue...its a quick fix.
The following users liked this post:
shakyaj (04-09-2015)
Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 AM
5th Gear

thanks i had this problem too
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nicky767
for people who are having this issue...its becasue some how or another you pushed it back...nlike say it was snowing and you cleaned ur car, or some passenger decided to push on it...it happens. just push the mirror on the top until it clicks a couple of times. and the noise is going away. whats happenign is when it got pushed, its jumped a few teeth, the motor is desinged for all the teeth, so when it goes looking for the 3 you jumped, it grounds out and makes that clicking. its not a lubrication issue...its a quick fix.
quick thread revival, iam having this issue, I just want to see if any one can confirm on this resolution??? I want to try it out, but I am not sure if it will make it worse. thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Bump

I broke my passenger mirror and had it replaced (not the whole mirror unit, just the glass piece). When I put it into reverse it tilts down and then it goes all the way up and starts clicking when I get out of reverse. I think my motor is jacked.

I'll probably just keep the swtich off the center so it doesnt tilt rather than replace the motor/ mirror.

Anyone with advice on this?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nicky767
i tried this too, didnt seem to work. it always ends up tilting all the way up and then starts clicking.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
I say it's the actuator:
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/a-78704/
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry to revive this thread.. but im currently dealing with this issue and its very frustrating. even while in motion my mirrors seem to act retarded on both sides with the clunking issue... now my mirrors wont move up or down only on the sides when pressing the switch

but i will follow this thread here https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/3g-mirror-repair-pictures-3g-garage-e-045-a-832020/

see if it helps
Old 05-13-2018, 04:11 PM
2nd Gear

Works perfect!

@nicky767 Thanks for the post! I pushed my mirror back in place and now it works perfectly!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin904
@nicky767 Thanks for the post! I pushed my mirror back in place and now it works perfectly!!!
Do you push the mirror straight into the housing? Mine is making loud popping noise as it tilts down and jerks while doing so.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by donkiboy
Do you push the mirror straight into the housing? Mine is making loud popping noise as it tilts down and jerks while doing so.
Yes, I just pushed on the top of the mirror straight towards the back of the housing and after a couple clicks it was back in place.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Tried the push mirror back in track approach and it worked!

Love the person who gave the simple fix of pushing the top of the mirror so it would get back in the track! Tried it and it worked perfectly. No Lube! No motor replacement! No new mirror! No visit to dealership! No money spent! Thanks for the tip! Go simple first and work out from there!