P1298 electrical load detector High output

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P1298 electrical load detector High output

Anyone ever changed an electrical load detector ? I believe it's part of the whole fuse box under the hood?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Have you looked into a new alternator or battery.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Check the voltage on the battery and alternator while the car is running. Optimal voltage should be close to 13.7-14.1V. At least, that is what I see while driving around.

The ELD, from what I read in the past, basically controls whether to turn the alternator on or off based on the battery voltage. Honda uses it as a fuel saving measure.

I installed a headunit that has a built-in volt meter and was noticing my voltage would drop to 12V while driving, seemingly randomly. Basically, if certain conditions aren't met, the ELD will stop the alternator from running. If your headlights are on or AC is on, the alternator will always run.

Not exactly sure what your code may be pointing to. Maybe it's failure of the ELD itself or maybe it's an issue with the battery or alternator. High output is interesting. I am far from knowledgeable or car's electrical systems though. I can wire car audio, but don't understand much outside of that.

Are you also having the misfire code issue still? Something in your electrical system is most likely fucked, for lack of better words.

Last edited by NoTLoud; 06-15-2017 at 11:49 AM.