Oil pump leak and thicker oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pump leak and thicker oil?

I recently was told by my dealer that I have a oil pump leak. I was quoted around $1000 to fix, which I cant really afford to fix for a few years. At my next oil change, I was thinking of running a slightly thicker oil to maybe slow the leak? I'm currently running the manual recommended 5W-20 in Mobil 1 extended performance, was thinking of switching to a 10W-30 in the same brand. Good idea or no? I know I'd probably sacrifice a some gas mileage. But would I theoretically suffer some other negative effects from running the thicker oil? I'd hate to cause some premature damage to the oil pump or something else because the car wasn't designed to run the slightly thicker oil. Or would the safer bet to be just to run the manual recommended weight and keep an eye on my oil level?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to run thicker oil but I don't think it will help TOO much either . A leak will leak..
Old 09-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
you can try running a 5W-30 first and see how it does. How many miles are on your TL? You can save a ton on labor if you get the oil pump leak fixed at the same time you do the timing belt service!
Old 09-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Is the leak leaving any drops on the pavement after sitting overnight? If not, don't worry about it.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
you can try running a 5W-30 first and see how it does. How many miles are on your TL? You can save a ton on labor if you get the oil pump leak fixed at the same time you do the timing belt service!
I've got 104K on my recently purchased TL type S, about two weeks ago I had the timing belt job done at the Honda dealership and they didn't say anything about the oil pump leak. Then two days ago I got the valves adjusted and spark plugs replaced at the Acura dealership because I had a service coupon, and that's when they let me know about the oil pump leak and how much cheaper it would have been to fix if the Honda dealer let me know about it at the time of the timing belt job Needless to say the Honda dealership lost my business.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Sounds like a typical Acura stealership scam job. Those types of leaks are not uncommon in our cars, but It probably isn't a real issue. Most likely, if it does even exist, it can wait until your next TB job. Like I said, if it's not leaving oil on the floor after sitting overnight, it's nothing to worry about.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by joker11
I've got 104K on my recently purchased TL type S, about two weeks ago I had the timing belt job done at the Honda dealership and they didn't say anything about the oil pump leak. Then two days ago I got the valves adjusted and spark plugs replaced at the Acura dealership because I had a service coupon, and that's when they let me know about the oil pump leak and how much cheaper it would have been to fix if the Honda dealer let me know about it at the time of the timing belt job Needless to say the Honda dealership lost my business.
Call the honda dealership that did the work and complain to the service manager. That's negligence on the technicians part as they did not notice the leak.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
My "oil" leak was discovered by my Acura dealer less than a year after I had my timing belt done at my local Honda dealer. However.....Acura made it quite clear that there was a leak, but it isn't bad yet and it isn't worth the investment to repair at this time. Until it is actually dripping off the engine making a mess...I don't care about it. There are some honest dealers out there guys. My Acura dealer has only once tried to push things and that was the first time I sent my wife in. I had a nice chat with the service advisor and they have been absolutely respectful since then....yes I know, I shouldn't have even had to do that...but I write that off as one advisor there sucked, while the rest have been a pleasure to deal with mostly.

In your case, I would for sure have a talk with your Honda dealership. That is something they for sure should have noticed and at least mentioned to you. If mine had been 2 weeks vs 10 months, I would have for sure called the dealer back.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jackass
My "oil" leak was discovered by my Acura dealer less than a year after I had my timing belt done at my local Honda dealer. However.....Acura made it quite clear that there was a leak, but it isn't bad yet and it isn't worth the investment to repair at this time. Until it is actually dripping off the engine making a mess...I don't care about it. There are some honest dealers out there guys. My Acura dealer has only once tried to push things and that was the first time I sent my wife in. I had a nice chat with the service advisor and they have been absolutely respectful since then....yes I know, I shouldn't have even had to do that...but I write that off as one advisor there sucked, while the rest have been a pleasure to deal with mostly.

In your case, I would for sure have a talk with your Honda dealership. That is something they for sure should have noticed and at least mentioned to you. If mine had been 2 weeks vs 10 months, I would have for sure called the dealer back.
I put some cardboard under the car and over the past 4 days it only leaked one drop of oil, but the under side of the oil pan and that area around there was covered in oil, I know it a minor gripe but I still don't want my car leaking oil. I talked to the Acura service adviser and he quoted me $400 to re-seal the oil pump if I did it at the time of a timing belt service, and $979 if I were to do it right now. I've got an appointment with the Honda dealer to get it looked at tomorrow. I was going to try and see if he can re-seal it for the $400 price. It's been a three weeks now since Honda did the timing belt job....do you think the leak started after I got the timing belt done a three weeks ago, and before I had the valves adjusted last week? Because I'm sure that's what there response is going to be....saying "that leak wan't there when we did your timing belt".
Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
My dealer wanted to charge me $1200 for the re-seal and $1350 to replace the oil pump. I didn't really notice an oil spot where I parked but I had it replaced anyway. Still waiting for my loyalty points to show up from that job.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
This may not be a popular opinion but I'd clean the underside of the motor of all the oil and just stick a disposable foil oven liner under it (assuming it's garaged so no wind to blow it away) and watch it for a week or two. A drop here or there simply isn't worth getting all upset about. I wouldn't bother changing oil viscosity either. Or maybe just find an indy mech to do the work much cheaper than a dealer if it really bothers you so much. (if we knew what area you are from someone could probably suggest one) If me and an older car with >100K I know I'd use the oven liner and call it a day. Been there, done that, with an old Saab.

I'm gonna go duck know before someone throws garbage at me