noises from the axles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noises from the axles

hey i just bought a 05 TL last week and my axles are making this clicking noise i know its the axles but i checked the cv boots and they are still new looking. i told the dealership and they told me its cold and thats why. i know they were bullshitting. but i was going to be late for work so i didnt argue. anyways can anyone give me some advice? thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
who exactly at the dealership said this?
Was it in the shop and checked by a tech? you have an invoice?
Call acura care at 1-800-382-2238 x5 and register a complaint of problem not found, ask for a manager to contact you
It has to have been seen by the dealer for acura to do anything for you- there may be a TSB tech advisory out, and if you only spoke with a service writer....

when at a full stop on the side of the road, turn the wheel full left and slowly start forward- listen for a click click click
now try it the opposite direction
anything? thats definite cv axle bearing issue
Cold grease??? how cold is it where you live?
The following users liked this post:
jc351226 (08-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

the boots had no tear anywhere on them? you carefully checked each boot?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ITS THE COLD MINE IS DOIN THE SAMETHING.. mine only do it when the car is cold .after i start drivin for a few it stop...
Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by free598
ITS THE COLD MINE IS DOIN THE SAMETHING.. mine only do it when the car is cold .after i start drivin for a few it stop...

same thing my 05 TL does, and has been at the dealer numerous times for it, finally last week they heard the noise, and are now replacing both driveshafts under warranty
Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Doing a little research it appears that typical packing grease is rated around -5F / -10F to 300F / 400F. So the grease it meant for high temps / high friction applications but not for low temps. I bet once you start driving for a few minutes the clicks should not remain. If they do then you definitely have issues.

If you have this problem.. post up the temperatures in your area when you notice problems.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
I too thought my boot was sealed but I looked a little closer and found a tiny rip in the outer right boot. The complete oem axel is 167 dollars so no worries.....Put this in last week..

Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Racer

Like mmade22 said, axle replacement is no big deal. When the wheels are pointed straight ahead you'll almost never see a tear in the CV joint boot. It's usually on an inner rib (hard to explain, but look at the picture above) not at the outer part of the boot. If you raise the car, turn the wheels to the left or right and then rotate the wheels you can see it. Once there's a tear the grease gets thrown and the joint starts to wear and make the dreaded clicking sound.

The boot can tear from a number of things - normal wear, dry rot of the rubber, abuse, running over debris in the road. Too many hard launches, especially if it's an MT, or accelerating hard whith the wheels turned sharply can cause the boot to tear.

It will usually last quite a while making the clicking sound but you should fix it as soon as possible. By the way, what you're looking at in the picture is the splined end that goes into the tranny. The tear is usually at the outboard joint closer to the wheel.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Like mmade22 said, axle replacement is no big deal. When the wheels are pointed straight ahead you'll almost never see a tear in the CV joint boot. It's usually on an inner rib (hard to explain, but look at the picture above) not at the outer part of the boot. If you raise the car, turn the wheels to the left or right and then rotate the wheels you can see it. Once there's a tear the grease gets thrown and the joint starts to wear and make the dreaded clicking sound.

The boot can tear from a number of things - normal wear, dry rot of the rubber, abuse, running over debris in the road. Too many hard launches, especially if it's an MT, or accelerating hard whith the wheels turned sharply can cause the boot to tear.

It will usually last quite a while making the clicking sound but you should fix it as soon as possible. By the way, what you're looking at in the picture is the splined end that goes into the tranny. The tear is usually at the outboard joint closer to the wheel.
You were right about everything except what is in bold. That is the outer side that goes into the wheel hub not the tranny side. Good write!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Racer

Oops, good catch. At 4:33 AM I was lucky to get any of it out. I hate working mids!!

By the way, mmade22, I really appreciated your write-up on your first 111k miles. Nice job. From the pictures one would think your car was almost new with very low mileage.

Last edited by SpecialFX; 01-16-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
who exactly at the dealership said this?
Was it in the shop and checked by a tech? you have an invoice?
Call acura care at 1-800-382-2238 x5 and register a complaint of problem not found, ask for a manager to contact you
It has to have been seen by the dealer for acura to do anything for you- there may be a TSB tech advisory out, and if you only spoke with a service writer....

when at a full stop on the side of the road, turn the wheel full left and slowly start forward- listen for a click click click
now try it the opposite direction
anything? thats definite cv axle bearing issue
Cold grease??? how cold is it where you live?
yes it was a tech who checked it out looked like a young guy who was trying to kiss up to his boss. i was told that acuras have this problem after some years into it. this is my first acura and im not sure. i had a 350z before this one. no axle problem at all. handles like a charm. but thanks i will call that number. well lately here its been like around -3 to -7. in wisconsin. it is a click click noise.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 AM
10th Gear

just so i know im grasping this ill just have to turn the wheel and really search for the tare n the cv boot? what im wondering is that is this a common thing that happens to acuras and i just need to change the axles or is it just the cold weather? because right now its freaken -1 on a average i dont want to be under any car. some is saying its okay its just cold and some are saying its a tear.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mmade22
I too thought my boot was sealed but I looked a little closer and found a tiny rip in the outer right boot. The complete oem axel is 167 dollars so no worries.....Put this in last week..

hey is that price for two or one axle? and what kind of grease should i be looking for? did you order from dealer or a site. if so what site?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
200,000 mile club

The CV boot ripping is a common problem on many front wheel drive cars that have a lot of power and torque. Look at the inner part of the rim for any grease that may have slinged onto it from the boot tear. It could also just be your crazy temps outside.

The CV boot price is for one. Replace them as needed. No need to do both at the same time unless the other one is worn. There is also no grease needed as this is a packed sealed cv axel from the factory. Can't get any better than that.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by misterlv
yes it was a tech who checked it out looked like a young guy who was trying to kiss up to his boss. i was told that acuras have this problem after some years into it. this is my first acura and im not sure. i had a 350z before this one. no axle problem at all. handles like a charm. but thanks i will call that number. well lately here its been like around -3 to -7. in wisconsin. it is a click click noise.

Sounds like they could be right and the grease could be the culprit. Do some research if you're interested. The thermal properties of the packing greases many use for CV joints have been from -5 to -10F. The packing grease is designed for high temps because of the friction (+300F) in the CV joint not low temps.

I've noticed most techs are pretty young. I figure the old guys get so fed up with the B.S. and upsell tactics that they move on.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM
9th Gear

Hi guys, I def notice the clicking sound when its really cold out but when the car warms up or if the temperature is not too cold there is no sound from the Axle. Does that mean everything is okay or should i be worried? Sorry guys newbie here with an 04 6 speed TL love my baby but am always scared something will go wrong...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
200,000 mile club

What tempeture are we talking about here?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
9th Gear

From Jersey, so the coldest i think was 10 degrees on a day with hard knocks but below 20 past few days
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
200,000 mile club

Do the noises happpen only on turns or on straight driving? If they are on turns, check the boot to make sure there are no rips in the boot. It could be a bad boot and outer cv joint but you can drive it for a while before it needs to be changes. If the click is there on turns, it probably is a worn cv axel.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I bought my Certified 06 TL manual with 28.5k miles on Dec 15th 08, I heard a strange noise when I turned right on Dec 16th 08. It was not that cold out. Now its worse, I can hear it turning left also. I did a test last week going around corners slowly in gear and out of gear in neutral, it only made the noise when I was on the throttle in gear. When it was very cold last week, the sound was VERY LOUD. I took it in 2 times and they could not duplicate the noise. WTF. I am dropping it off thursday morning so it can sit outside and get cold. NOW for the last 4-5 days I have a whining noise with a slight rattle on the top right side of the engine, today when I left work it was louder when I turned the steering wheel,,, shit,,, I know what that noise is, now do I need a new power steering pump??? WTF. DID I BUT A FRIKEN LEMON???
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 AM
10th Gear

man if i didnt have to trade in my z i wouldnt have to deal with weak axles. but this is what was next in line that i would settle for. hondas and acuras ive always heard of axle issues.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Team Owner

cv axle bearings wear out from hot rodding the car, hitting berms/curbs at the track (or street) potholes...
doing burnouts, lowering the car!!! and many more things than the `torn boot, grease leaks out syndrome` that plagues all fwd cars.
small axles -big torque, sprited driving,,,what do you think is going to happen?

To test your cv bearings- do the fully stopped, full lock steering, now slowllllllly begin to move forward,, and test in reverse too. Now try it the other direction of steering
Listen for very slight click click click that may disappear by 15mph,
but you will hear the noise in the first few revolutions of the wheel- 2mph

A good tech can use a stethascope to check the bearings while the car is on the rack
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
cv axle bearings wear out from hot rodding the car, hitting berms/curbs at the track (or street) potholes...
doing burnouts, lowering the car!!! and many more things than the `torn boot, grease leaks out syndrome` that plagues all fwd cars.
small axles -big torque, sprited driving,,,what do you think is going to happen?

To test your cv bearings- do the fully stopped, full lock steering, now slowllllllly begin to move forward,, and test in reverse too. Now try it the other direction of steering
Listen for very slight click click click that may disappear by 15mph,
but you will hear the noise in the first few revolutions of the wheel- 2mph

A good tech can use a stethascope to check the bearings while the car is on the rack
I beat the shit out of my new (tradded-in on 06 TL) 2007 Civic Si for 15,000 miles and had 0 problems, solid as a rock. Now I buy a 2006 CERTIFIED TL that just came off a 3 year lease, owned by a female, it only had 28.5k miles on it when I bought it last Dec. Now this axel issue and power steering problem makes me quite upset. Its a manual, what I have always wanted in a TL. Did this women beat this 06 TL with only 28k miles. The car was purchased and owned in Miami FL. I have NOT beat the car since I purchased it on Dec 15th after hearing the strange noise the next day. I also understand about taking corners on heavy throttle with a posi axel. NOT HAPPY WITH THESE ISSUES.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I beat the shit out of my new (tradded-in on 06 TL) 2007 Civic Si for 15,000 miles and had 0 problems, solid as a rock. Now I buy a 2006 CERTIFIED TL that just came off a 3 year lease, owned by a female, it only had 28.5k miles on it when I bought it last Dec. Now this axel issue and power steering problem makes me quite upset. Its a manual, what I have always wanted in a TL. Did this women beat this 06 TL with only 28k miles. The car was purchased and owned in Miami FL. I have NOT beat the car since I purchased it on Dec 15th after hearing the strange noise the next day. I also understand about taking corners on heavy throttle with a posi axel. NOT HAPPY WITH THESE ISSUES.

JD, Do you expect us to believe that you don't hit the gas hard now and then with your new TL when you beat the shit out of your last car? You have a 6 speed so you bought it for more of a fun performance four door than a DD. It sucks that you have some issues with the car. Go to the dealer and have them fix it. You can't say you have a lemon when there are a couple of noise issues. Cold weather will make a lot of noise issues in all makes and models.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

my boots r fine and its making the same noise as every1 else
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 AM

if you car is still under warranty bring it to the dealership, and have them replace both axles. i did this last week, and now the noise is gone.

best bet is to do what i did, drop the car off early in the morning, then go back the next day, and take the car for a drive with a tech.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

my boots my were fine too and when they took the axles out to inspect them after i bitched them out at the dealer about issues with my power steerring they did the inspection and found that both axles were seized.... blown axles result from broken mounts or bad suspension components or even a bad alignment.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Leather so soft.

change both your axles, same thing happen to me...it occurs mostly when its really cold but it shouldnt occur at all.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mmade22
JD, Do you expect us to believe that you don't hit the gas hard now and then with your new TL when you beat the shit out of your last car? You have a 6 speed so you bought it for more of a fun performance four door than a DD. It sucks that you have some issues with the car. Go to the dealer and have them fix it. You can't say you have a lemon when there are a couple of noise issues. Cold weather will make a lot of noise issues in all makes and models.

Actually yes. I have owned 9 new trucks and cars since 1993. This Acura TL I bought was what I was looking for. WDP manual, Nav, and Certified with low miles, OH and I like the 06 TL because the base 07 TL is softer and NOT available with a stick. I did have an auto 07 TL-S that had many upgrades and I didn't like the look of the bulging front A-Spec kit.

After really thinking about buying a car off a 3 year lease, and hearing weird noises the day after I bought it, I got worried. Sure I have punched it really good in a straight line, but 10% as often as my Si. That car begged to be reved to 8k. I have been taking it quite easy. The dealer wont have a loaner for me until 1-27-09. So I am being nice to it. I am wondering if I made a mistake buying a used car. Everybody ALWAYS says,,, BUY A USED CAR, WHY WASTE MONEY ON A NEW CAR. Well, maybe this is why I bought SO MANY NEW cars.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 AM
10th Gear

wow so many legitimate reasons here. they all sound good. im just gonna have to figure this out on my own when spring comes around. im gonna have to get a little dirty i guess. thanks everyone for the info though. one quick question... how many different models of tl are there? and how do i know which one i have? because my z i used to own there were base, enthusiast, track and etc...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM

wow so many legitimate reasons here. they all sound good. im just gonna have to figure this out on my own when spring comes around. im gonna have to get a little dirty i guess. thanks everyone for the info though. one quick question... how many different models of tl are there? and how do i know which one i have? because my z i used to own there were base, enthusiast, track and etc...
05 only comes in two flavors - Base or A-Spec
  • A/T or M/T
  • Nav or Non-Nav
Most will prefer A-Spec M/T Navi, but both base and a-spec have the same engine w/ no performance mods other than suspension.

A-Spec consist of a more aggressive suspension package with different front / rear lips, side skirt, spoiler, steering wheel, badge and 18" I think..

There is a TL Type-S edition but it stopped on the 2G in '03 and didn't start again on the 3G until '07. The Type-S has a 3.5L engine and a few other mods. Performance wise for the '05 there is no difference. You'll notice members go by three letter monikers and that indicates the factory color.

ABP - Abyss Blue Pearl
DGP - Deep Green Pearl
NBP - Nighthawk Black Pearl
SSM - Satin Silver Metallic
DMM - Desert Mist Metallic
RRP - Redondo Red Pearl
WDP - White Diamond Pearl
AM - Anthracite Metallic
Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Advanced

when i had 100000 miles in my 04 6mt, both axles were bad, one was clicking, and the other was seized up at the joint. Both had good cv boots
Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Instructor

I'm getting the clicking when turning while applying the gas. But it was -3F this morning and 11F on the way home. I'm not going to repair anything until it starts warming up. If the sound is still there then I think I have a problem.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
10th Gear

So anyhow, anyone able to say how much it costs to have the stealership replace one or both axles?

If you are replacing it yourself on a scale from 1 to 10 whats the difficulty? Special tools? weird suggestions/techniques?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Without Delay
So anyhow, anyone able to say how much it costs to have the stealership replace one or both axles?

If you are replacing it yourself on a scale from 1 to 10 whats the difficulty? Special tools? weird suggestions/techniques?

Its not really that hard. You need a 36mm socket for the axle Nut, a breaker bar if you dont have an impact gun, a hammer and a regular tool box with metric sockets. axle broke on the trip to cali once. Went to store and got some tools, and changed it on the parking lot of Food 4 Less. man it was such an experience.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Smile

hello all! im new here to acurazine as a member but i have been following this great site since i bought my 05 tl auto back in April of last year. anyway for my 2 cents on the thread i too have the same clicking sound. its freezing here in jersey and it only makes the sound when cold first thing in the morning. after its warmed up it disappears completely. i took the car to my mechanic and my axles and cv joint boots were fine. he took it to an empty parking lot and turned the wheels lock to lock in both directions and drove under load and no noise. he told me all was fine cause if the cv joints were bad or going bad they would make the noise each and every time. not just when cold. he determined that it is a product of the cold weather and nothing more. i personally wont worry about it for now but he added that swapping out the axles would not be a big deal nor expensive so i may go down that road later on. the car currently has 65,000 miles on it. hope this was helpfull insight to the thread.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 AM

It's just the packing grease in the cv joint hardening when temps typically go below 10F.. Packing grease is typically rated for very high temps because of the stress the cv joint goes through but is not rated very well in the low temps so it tends to harden.. nothing to worry about like your mechanic advised since the cv joints heat up relatively quickly.. Welcome btw!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 AM
4th Gear

Yea mine too!!!!

Yea it happens when i go over speed bumps !!!
hey i just bought a 05 tl last week and my axles are making this clicking noise i know its the axles but i checked the cv boots and they are still new looking. I told the dealership and they told me its cold and thats why. I know they were bullshitting. But i was going to be late for work so i didnt argue. Anyways can anyone give me some advice? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 AM
4th Gear

Damn where can i get them cheap!! The shocks!!!! For an 05 acura tl!!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:23 AM
4th Gear

I need 5 post to show off my ride !!! I mean post pics!!! Heres number 3!!! Sooo back to my question where can i get them cheap >??? I need to front shocks !!