Noise from front of vehicle, hard to diagnose. Sound from tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Noise from front of vehicle, hard to diagnose. Sound from tranny?

I have a 2006 AT TL with 3000 miles. Every morning i leave my house, i drive up the street and a few seconds after it goes into 2nd gear i hear a noticable knock coming from the front..... Now i'm not sure where it's coming from. When i come to a stop sign and drive off, it doesn't happen.... Its like only happening after the car has sat over night... The only reason i'm not bringing it in yet is i can't duplicate it on command, and they are going to need the car for awhile to even hear it so they can figure it out..... Anyone else have an issue like this?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check if this is your problem:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/new-bf-2-ordering-now-85426/

(from the 3G TL Garage)
Old 08-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Pro

wow thanks, i did search and found stuff about the heatsheild, but not this.... Thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Pro

any supported written information that this is normal? the guy at acura service hasn't heard of that before...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced

This is funny. I just bought my 04 TL 6spd last week and have a "clicking" type of noise when I accelerate. I had it in Acura yesterday and they kept it over night, they just called me an hour ago and said they can not diagnose the problem, but called Acura tech and they are saying that this is completely normal for ALL 6spds, and they claim they have other 6spds at the dealership that do it too, but I didn't hear it. I think its a crock of crap that they are feeding me just because they can't figure out what it was. I too thought it was my heatshield. Acura tech is saying its a design trait in the car.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BoostedAWD
This is funny. I just bought my 04 TL 6spd last week and have a "clicking" type of noise when I accelerate. I had it in Acura yesterday and they kept it over night, they just called me an hour ago and said they can not diagnose the problem, but called Acura tech and they are saying that this is completely normal for ALL 6spds, and they claim they have other 6spds at the dealership that do it too, but I didn't hear it. I think its a crock of crap that they are feeding me just because they can't figure out what it was. I too thought it was my heatshield. Acura tech is saying its a design trait in the car.
take a drive in one of the other 6spd's
Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Advanced

I did...couldn't hear it. They claimed it was a lot quieter than what my noise is. Unfortunatley, there are no other Acura dealerships close by to me....so its not like I can get a second opinion.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedAWD
I have the same problem and I notice it when i press on the gas. It doesnt matter what speed I am at. It annoys me because it doesnt sound normal. I havent taken it in, but a wild guess.. fuel injectors or something related to it?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by invincible569
I have the same problem and I notice it when i press on the gas. It doesnt matter what speed I am at. It annoys me because it doesnt sound normal. I havent taken it in, but a wild guess.. fuel injectors or something related to it?
Take it in...they told me it's all under warranty. If they happen to fix yours, let me know what it was so I can take mine back to them. It's getting rather annoying, and the ONLY thing I dislike about the car after owning it a week.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
I have a 2006 AT TL with 3000 miles. Every morning i leave my house, i drive up the street and a few seconds after it goes into 2nd gear i hear a noticable knock coming from the front..... Now i'm not sure where it's coming from. When i come to a stop sign and drive off, it doesn't happen.... Its like only happening after the car has sat over night... The only reason i'm not bringing it in yet is i can't duplicate it on command, and they are going to need the car for awhile to even hear it so they can figure it out..... Anyone else have an issue like this?
There is an article called "Groan, Boink, or Twang When Accelerating" in the June 2005 Acura Service New Bulletins .
Old 08-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Clicking Noise in Acuras

I used to have a similar problem in the MT 92 NSX. Located behind the drivers seat was a relay under the mid back panel that "made" when the RPMs got around 3500. It made a clicking noise that once noticed was very annoying...I had the techs look into it...although they had never noticed it, they did trace it and determine that it was a normal noise for the NSX.

I also had a relay in my AT 92 Vigor that was located around the right side footwell of the passengers seat. That bastard clicked until I thought I was going to go beserk...it was related to the AC or something. Never had a tech look into it but has resigned myself to the fact that Acura sometimes likes to place noisy relays a little to close to earshot of the passsenger's compartment.

Have someone small move around in the car when driving it to determine more closely where the offending noise is coming from and maybe give the service dept a head start in resolving the issue.

Good luck!