No heat at idle....in Minnesota!!!!

Old 01-26-2019, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No heat at idle....in Minnesota!!!!

Hi, everyone. This is my first post after years of lurking and researching many, many Acura related threads. Let me start off by saying thank you for all of the input and responses across the board that have helped me do small fixes/repairs on my TL. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize in advance if I post in the wrong location or topic! Here’s my story...

My 2005 Acura TL base (152,xxx miles), 3.2 w/Nav has zero heat at idle or upon startup/warmup. Once I get the RPMs up a little or I’m driving down the road, I have plenty of heat. This is what I’ve done so far:

1. Burped the system with car up on ramps and using a no spill funnel kit. I’m confident there is no air in the system.
2. Checked the HCV (heater control valve) and cable for proper operation.
3. Replaced the radiator cap.
4. Done a pressure test. Held pressure fine.
5. PURCHASED and new OEM thermostat but have not installed yet due to the price tag on it. $111.00 from the stealer (dealer).

I am in Minnesota, so it’s brutaly cold out and I feel like my car never reaches operating temp at idle. Reason being, after all this, I cracked my garage door, turned on my TWO 100,000btu heaters pointed directly at the radiator and let the car idle for damn near an hour with a couple raps of the accelerator hear and there...the fans never kicked on once, lower radiator hose still cold, exit hose from heater core was luke warm. Before I replace the stat, am I missing anything? I’m supper hesitant on replacing it due to the cost and the PIA it is to get to the lower bolt. I want to make sure there’s nothing else before I move forward but would love some freaking heat!!!

I am going to buy a “disposable” thermostat from the parts store and try that before I install my solid 10k gold one purchased at the dealer. Help me out Acura gods!! Thanks!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Everything you've written says "thermostat" to me. Change it and carry on.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a stuck open thermostat. If it gets bad enough, it should throw a CEL with a thermostat performance code.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
It could be any of the following...

Air in the system
Low on coolant
Stuck thermostat
Defective radiator

I would check the first two and given the age of the car replace the radiator and the thermostat.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input!

So today, I decided to go to the parts store and buy a throw away thermostat. Installed it and Instant regret ensued as soon as I started filling the system up. Continuous drip from the housing, which I had a feeling would happen. Tore it all back apart, bought another gallon of blue juice, bit the bullet and installed the OEM thermostat with a MUCH thicker seal. Buttoned it all back up...no leaks! **Pats myself on the back** Went through the burping process yet again and this time, the fans kicked in by themselves. It seemed to be heating nicely but the true test will be once I start it up for a dead cold sitting in my driveway. I will post an update once I eat some lunch and get that done before we get this 8”-12” of snow and record lows their calling for this week.

Thanks again! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by kaisermichaelj
Thanks for the input!

So today, I decided to go to the parts store and buy a throw away thermostat. Installed it and Instant regret ensued as soon as I started filling the system up. Continuous drip from the housing, which I had a feeling would happen. Tore it all back apart, bought another gallon of blue juice, bit the bullet and installed the OEM thermostat with a MUCH thicker seal. Buttoned it all back up...no leaks! **Pats myself on the back** Went through the burping process yet again and this time, the fans kicked in by themselves. It seemed to be heating nicely but the true test will be once I start it up for a dead cold sitting in my driveway. I will post an update once I eat some lunch and get that done before we get this 8”-12” of snow and record lows their calling for this week.

Thanks again! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Reminder, be sure to open the heater valve during the burping process.