No click, no sound, nothing when turning key! Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No click, no sound, nothing when turning key! Suggestions?

05 tl 3.2 few weeks ago warmed up my car shut it off, came back out roughly 20mins after went to start up. there was nothing on the key, no click, no sound, nothing. next day got a boost and gave the starter a few whacks, it started up. purchased a new battery, went to fuel up, shut it off and went to start it back up and the same deal, nothing when i turned the key. so i took off the cables from the posts. it started up. had to continue to do that all day. took off the starter and went to get it rebuilt and put it back on today. went to start it up and same deal, NOTHING! talked to a few mechanics and all had different opinions, but they all thought it could be the imobolizer. i didnt know it had one? thinking of getting the alternator rebuilt although if anyone could suggest something cheaper it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Can someone help this member?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If the car's cabin accessories and other components work fine with no apparent symptoms of a weak battery but nothing happens on key turn then it might be the immobilizer as they said. Most, if not all, late model (2000+) Honda/Acuras have immobilizer chips. Easiest thing you can try is to use your other key or valet key to see if it starts the car to eliminate the possibility that your main key's chip is damaged. If that doesn't work could be on the ecu end or...

Gear position switch issues could also cause intermittent ignition problems. If your car is AT, try putting the car in neutral instead of park and starting the car.

Can't think of anything else ATM. Good luck.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 03-17-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM
~*~

I actually had and still have a similar issue. Not sure if it's directly related; but it's been a constant pain. Happened the first day I brought the car home and parked it in the driveway; thought I bought a lemon!

The issue I had was that the car was and still is not recognizing it's in park, despite clearly being in that position. I "jiggle" my shifter knob and then attempt to start and it normally works after a few jiggles. The dealership did "something" under warranty a year ago and it happens far less, but every now and then it comes up. Not sure if this is your problem, but try it. The car wouldn't make a single sound, not hesitating to start, nothing.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

I have had similar problem, Check engine light came on couple days ago and planning to take car to dealer this weekend before I could I pulled into the driveway to drop off wife off and left the car in accesory and went in side to grab something. When came back out radio was still on. Went to crank up the car and heard a pop from the the battery side of the car and it was dead. Messed around with turning key off and on, tried to lock and unlock driver door nothing would respond. Went inside to tell the wife the car is dead came back out to look at it and tried my clicker to unlock and it did! So cranked it up thought it was wierd ran my errand and hoped it would never happen again. Next day did same thing. So I thought it must be the battery. Open up battery compartment and found that the postive post of the battery was samller than the clamp for it and the previous owner had put a small screw in there to make up for the gap. Took it off, cleaned it all off, put it back together and it works fine for now. so taking to the dealer tomorrow and will post the results next week.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SDSilverM3
If the car's cabin accessories and other components work fine with no apparent symptoms of a weak battery but nothing happens on key turn then it might be the immobilizer as they said. Most, if not all, late model (2000+) Honda/Acuras have immobilizer chips. Easiest thing you can try is to use your other key or valet key to see if it starts the car to eliminate the possibility that your main key's chip is damaged. If that doesn't work could be on the ecu end or...

Gear position switch issues could also cause intermittent ignition problems. If your car is AT, try putting the car in neutral instead of park and starting the car.

Can't think of anything else ATM. Good luck.

I agree with SDSilverM3 I would assume its a shifter problem or immobilizer. Shifter problems are more common since the car has is gained some years. I would try try shifting to neutral and see if it happens again. Immobilizer usually has a light on the dash that comes on which indicates its not recognized on crank. Try a different key like sdsilverm3 said.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
is this problem resolved yet
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
6th Gear

I have this same problem and I cant figure it out either. My car is manual and it happens more when it rains. I think it is a short with the battery cable. But I cant figure it out. If anyone can email me.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

I am also having this problem. And have noticed that it happens more when it is wet outside. Im not sure of the issue but every time it happens, I have to either put my navi code or radio code back in. Never both for some reason. I just find that odd. This chip that everyone is talking about, is it in the key/remote or in the car itself?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
6th Gear

still cant get my vehicle started. tried buying a new fuse for the battery. i guess i have to take it into the shop cause i cant figure it out
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by DwhiteReApEr
I am also having this problem. And have noticed that it happens more when it is wet outside. Im not sure of the issue but every time it happens, I have to either put my navi code or radio code back in. Never both for some reason. I just find that odd. This chip that everyone is talking about, is it in the key/remote or in the car itself?
Your issue is the car is loosing power completely. Have the battery checked and also make sure the clamps on the battery are nice and tight.

Originally Posted by brentscott
still cant get my vehicle started. tried buying a new fuse for the battery. i guess i have to take it into the shop cause i cant figure it out
Your issue may be the starter relay. If you aren't hearing a rapid clicking noise that means that the starter isn't getting getting power to start. That means the battery, starter or starter relay. You eliminated the battery by telling us that the interior accessories work. As well you got the starter redone so that's not it.

If your immoblizer is the problem, the car will still crank but it will not turn over.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I had this exact problem on my car. Did the exact same steps as you...bought a new battery, changed the cables, checked the fuse/relays, etc. Turned out it was the starter. I replaced it, put everything back, and it started right up. Not sure if this is your problem, but good luck!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
6th Gear

well ah where can i find the starter relay
Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 AM
6th Gear

no click no sound STILL!!!

i checked all the fuses in the fuse box located under the hood. changed the terminals cleaned the posts up real good. still no noise or sound or clicking etc.. when turning the key, talked to the mechanic who rebuilt my starter he told me to hold one side of a wire to a piece on the starter and the other piece to a bolt. the starter turned over when i did that and it was cranking. still nothing on the key. monday am going to the dealership to get my key reprogrammed if anyone has any other suggestions am all ears here people. thanks alot i appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

I had a similar problem with my 05 TL AT NAVI. Dead battery, swaped out for a brand new one. A week or so later....dead battery again. Had the entire electrical system checked out...no problems there. Finanlly found out that my HFL system was the issue. HFL display says "booting up" or something similar and has not been working for some time. After doing some research I found that the malfunctioning HFL can completely drain the battery. I took apart the overhead lamp housing and disconnected the power to the HFL system. No more dead batteries.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Paul Wall
I had a similar problem with my 05 TL AT NAVI. Dead battery, swaped out for a brand new one. A week or so later....dead battery again. Had the entire electrical system checked out...no problems there. Finanlly found out that my HFL system was the issue. HFL display says "booting up" or something similar and has not been working for some time. After doing some research I found that the malfunctioning HFL can completely drain the battery. I took apart the overhead lamp housing and disconnected the power to the HFL system. No more dead batteries.

i have the exact same problem as you... how do i check my hfl display? and how do you stop it from "booting up" other then disconnecting it
Old 04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by brentscott
i checked all the fuses in the fuse box located under the hood. changed the terminals cleaned the posts up real good. still no noise or sound or clicking etc.. when turning the key, talked to the mechanic who rebuilt my starter he told me to hold one side of a wire to a piece on the starter and the other piece to a bolt. the starter turned over when i did that and it was cranking. still nothing on the key. monday am going to the dealership to get my key reprogrammed if anyone has any other suggestions am all ears here people. thanks alot i appreciate it.
Like I said I believe it's the starter relay or the ignition switch. If it was the immobilizer the car would try to crank but not get fuel to start up. (cuts off fuel supply).

Here's a diagram of the inner fuse box, check the relays (all 3 of them).
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

also here's the one under the hood, check the relays here:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
~*~

Originally Posted by Paul Wall
It's funny that you post this now; quite convenient timing. I was just at the dealer for a multitude of issues before the expiration of my extended warranty.

One of them being the HFL "Booting Up" constantly. They claimed it was a faulty unit and are replacing it under warranty. What's best is that I was there in September 2010 because the HFL wasn't responding when trying to pair my phone. They "replaced" it under warranty then as well.

The technician told me that these units are crap and they get issues of faulty ones all the time that actually drain your battery because they're constantly trying to boot up.

The way I noticed it was booting up is while under the HFL setting on the display, press the Select button underneath. It would read HFL and underneath, Booting Up.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Ok just had similar problem, going to wait and see if i can get enough of a charge to start up and get to the mechanic tomorrow. Atleast it happened near my apt, too bad that's nowhere near a dealer or mechanic.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 AM
6th Gear

woah its been a long time. the probelm with my car well you read what it was already. i took it into the shop and they found out that the previous owner had a car starter installed on the car and the dealership that sold me the car did not tell me of this. so long story short. the car starter was causing a problem with the computer and they just removed it and that was that it didnt have any problems after that
Old 03-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice update, glad to hear it wasn't anything serious.