New (acutually used) TL owner - pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (acutually used) TL owner - pics

**Long Post Alert**

Hi Everyone,

I just bought an 04 DGP w/ the 6-speed, Navi and factory lip kit. It's got 70K on it, but I got it for $17K, which I thought was a good deal. I had a 5th gen Prelude that started to give me too many problems(many from modifications) and the wife and I are expecting our first child(boy) in December. Therefore, went to CarMax and bought the TL. I already had 35%(NC maximum by law) Formula one tint and moleskin liners installed this weekend.

Background
I'm of German decent, so I guess I'm now actually a "TLfahrer". I'm a native of Preludeonline.com, so I definitely know what the search button is and how to use it. However, there are just some things that a member here might know off the top of their head and might save me hours of searching. Here are a few questions / observations:

Issues
1) Brakes - a.Needs new front brake pads (I can replace myself). Normally I would go with Acura pads, but I'm not too happy with how much dust they give off so I might go aftermarket. Any suggestions/comments? - looking for quiet operation w/ low dust
b. Not to sound like a noob, but do all 04 TL's have the same front calipers? There are 2 different part #'s for the front pads (only differ by one digit).

2) Lighting - Yes, my passenger site seat heater switch backlight is out(heater works fine). I'll spend the $17 and replace the whole switch myself. The backlight is also out on the driver's side climate control switch (Auto/temp up/temp down) Anyone know what the bulb might be? I can't seem to find it on Honda Parts Unlimited. Carmax said they would fix them under warranty, but I don't know if I want their mechanic's taking apart the console and dash.

3) Driver's side aluminum trim - scratched to hell from the original owner trying to fasten the seat belt. He must have been overweight because I don't have an issue. I'm trying to get my wife to let me spend the $50 to replace it.

4) Wood grain on dash and doors - HATE IT. I wish I could justify the money to get all the carbon parts. Maybe with one of my bonuses.

5) Stereo - not all that impressed. My wife's '08 Jeep Patriot limited with the Boston Acoustic stereo and subwoofer cranks louder and sounds clearer - plus it's got the Aux jack.

6) Old Nav DVD - Need to purchase a new one. They are building new roads in Raleigh by the second so my disk is very out of date. I really think that Acura could sell them for less than $200 and still make a profit, though.

That's it for the issues. I'm probably looking at close to $500 - $700 to fix everything I want. Well, here are the pics:

The wife and I (pre-pregos)

The Prelude (I only miss her a little bit)

The TL

That's about it. Thanks for reading and any help I receive.

-Dennis
Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
congrats and welcome to the forum
Your car has the a-spec body kit so add that to your sig, that's a steal for a car like that, plus its rare since the 04 was the only year with DGP, and 6sp at that too

For brake pads, people here like hawk brake pads for the 6-speeds. You can do them yourself, the instructions are in the 3G garage. When you change the pads, consider changing the rotors too.

Lighting - look at acuraoemparts.com for the light bulbs or call up tim at hondaauraworld.com and he can get em to you

the silver strips cost more around 90 dollars so you might want to consider that.

Wood Grain, look for a totaled TL in your area, you can swap them out pretty easily. Also you can get those silver-strips from there too.

Stero, have you messed with the settings yet? If not try to and see if it helps. If not, check out the audio forum for some upgrade suggestions and ideas. Also you can add the IPOD/Aux in too, look at the 3G Audio FAQ

unforutantley you can't copy these disks so you are stuck spending the 200 dollars, but it is well worth it.

If you need help doing any of this stuff, PM me and I can help you and talk you through it

Also if you want the car to feel better while shifting, go to acura and have them fix the 3rd gear with the updated set, there is a TSB for it (look in the 3G garage), your dealer might good-will it for you, and I suggest that you take advantage of it being apart and switch out the clutch too. IF they don't warranty it, then switch out the fluid to GM synchromesh Modified MTF, that will make it so much better.

At 70K I must say your front driver seat looks like it has very little wear, thats good! Also you might want to check out a few things since you have 70K:
Spark Plugs
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Also a seafoam treatment to clean it all up

All of this stuff you can do and save a lot of $$$ from the dealer doing it. The DIY's are in the 3G Garage and you can buy parts from your local dealer or tim at hondaacuraworld. IF you want the odor elminating air filter, rockauto sells one, the part is HA5 cabin air filter
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
Your car has the a-spec body kit so add that to your sig, that's a steal for a car like that, plus its rare since the 04 was the only year with DGP, and 6sp at that too

For brake pads, people here like hawk brake pads for the 6-speeds. You can do them yourself, the instructions are in the 3G garage. When you change the pads, consider changing the rotors too.

Lighting - look at acuraoemparts.com for the light bulbs or call up tim at hondaauraworld.com and he can get em to you

the silver strips cost more around 90 dollars so you might want to consider that.

Wood Grain, look for a totaled TL in your area, you can swap them out pretty easily. Also you can get those silver-strips from there too.

Stero, have you messed with the settings yet? If not try to and see if it helps. If not, check out the audio forum for some upgrade suggestions and ideas. Also you can add the IPOD/Aux in too, look at the 3G Audio FAQ

unforutantley you can't copy these disks so you are stuck spending the 200 dollars, but it is well worth it.

If you need help doing any of this stuff, PM me and I can help you and talk you through it

Also if you want the car to feel better while shifting, go to acura and have them fix the 3rd gear with the updated set, there is a TSB for it (look in the 3G garage), your dealer might good-will it for you, and I suggest that you take advantage of it being apart and switch out the clutch too. IF they don't warranty it, then switch out the fluid to GM synchromesh Modified MTF, that will make it so much better.

At 70K I must say your front driver seat looks like it has very little wear, thats good! Also you might want to check out a few things since you have 70K:
Spark Plugs
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Also a seafoam treatment to clean it all up

All of this stuff you can do and save a lot of $$$ from the dealer doing it. The DIY's are in the 3G Garage and you can buy parts from your local dealer or tim at hondaacuraworld. IF you want the odor elminating air filter, rockauto sells one, the part is HA5 cabin air filter
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice! I'm definitely going to change out the plugs - might take me a little longer than on the Prelude, but it's a small price to pay for a v-6 instead of the i-4. I'm probably going to buy a K&N air filter for the TL. I had a CAI on the Prelude, but I'm not really interested in having more engine noise at higher RPMs.

I'll look into the 3rd gear issue. It seems to shift pretty well, but I'll still at least add the Syncromesh - I had it in the Prelude as well.

I'll contact Tim in a few weeks about the interior lights - thanks for the referral.

As for Seafoam - I'd have to alert the neighbors and the fire department before I do it.

About the silver strips - Honda Parts Unlimited has them for $55 each:
$55 Aluminum Strips

I'm looking forward to making a presence and contributing to the forum whenever I can!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludefahrer97
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice! I'm definitely going to change out the plugs - might take me a little longer than on the Prelude, but it's a small price to pay for a v-6 instead of the i-4. I'm probably going to buy a K&N air filter for the TL. I had a CAI on the Prelude, but I'm not really interested in having more engine noise at higher RPMs.

I'll look into the 3rd gear issue. It seems to shift pretty well, but I'll still at least add the Syncromesh - I had it in the Prelude as well.

I'll contact Tim in a few weeks about the interior lights - thanks for the referral.

As for Seafoam - I'd have to alert the neighbors and the fire department before I do it.

About the silver strips - Honda Parts Unlimited has them for $55 each:
$55 Aluminum Strips

I'm looking forward to making a presence and contributing to the forum whenever I can!
Here's a tip when changing the plugs, take of the strut bar and use a 6 and 9 inch extension, first drop in the 9, then add in the 3/6 can't remember, then the ratchet, it will help you out a lot. Also use the NGK's, don't go with the cheap stuff. My mistake on the pricing, acura must have changed it, before it was 90 dollars for those stupid things.
Also remember to search

csmeance
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
DAFRANCHISE69

Your girlfriend is a hottie, and thats a great deal. And a much better car then your Prelude, my friend has a Lude type R in white, and boy is he ghay in it. LOL
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Ludefahrer97, congrats and welcome to the forum. DGP/6MT/Navi combos are very rare indeed. How much wood is on your dash? Pics? Click on my WoodDash Pics link below to see how I did it. It's possible whomever had your car before over did it.

csmeance, Deep Green Pearl was made in 2004 and 2005. I don't know how many of these in 6MT with Navi were made, but I was told by an Acura exec that during those 2 model years, my exact same car with the Camel interior saw between 10-15 units a month from the factory. So my guess there were about 20-25 DGP/6MT/Navis produced a month with both the Camel and Parchment interiors.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
10th Gear

FR4NCH1SE - She is a hottie. That's why we've been married for 2 years and will be having our first child in December.

I was getting a little old for the Prelude, but it was a blast to drive. I had it lowered on H&R Sport Springs and KYB AGX shocks. My wife said that she was getting tired of feeling like a knocked-up 16 year old when she got out of it though.

DMZ - There's only the factory wood on the dash/doors. - pics are in my original post. You're application is done very well. I'm surprised that the grain matches so perfectly! I'm just not a fan of wood grain, which makes me want the carbon pieces, but I don't want to take away from the factory color scheme either. Either way, it's staying put until I take care of some routine maintenance.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
jeez...cs said it all! lol
so i guess the only left for me to say is WELCOME and CONGRATS on a BEAUTIFUL car. lol
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the DGP club! For brakes. Try AKEBONO!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
2008 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludefahrer97
The Prelude (I only miss her a little bit)
I love your prelude. I missed the boat on the last of the 2001 models. My friend had one, and I was jealous. Now that I am 30, married with kids, I too find the TL a much better pick. However, it still has the performance and looks that I enjoyed with the prelude. Congrats on your car.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Congrats on your TL and welcome to AZ........
Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Hey guys how do you get the stuff to come up on the bottom of your comments every time ? You know where it tells the mods and other particulars of your car . Fairly new to this whole forum thing and computer neighboorhood stuff . lol
Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by win63dow
Hey guys how do you get the stuff to come up on the bottom of your comments every time ? You know where it tells the mods and other particulars of your car . Fairly new to this whole forum thing and computer neighboorhood stuff . lol
In the upper left corner of the page, there is the "Your Account" link.

1. Click on that
2. On the left side, you will see "Your Control Panel"
3. Under "Settings & Options", there is a link entitled "Edit Signature". Click on it.
4. Once you click, there will be a text box where you can write whatever you signature want for your signature.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats Dennis!- I really like the color combo u got- and be on the lookout for area meets-(im in Gboro and the last one in Charlotte was a really good time)
Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 PM
acura master tech

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
good , find , and welcome to the forumes. watch out in the next couple of weeks i will post up heater botton removal and radio. also your tl has not had the power steering hose recall done. s/b 08-016 and most likly the wiper motor recall 08-013,i would take it to the dealer ASAP

Last edited by 240sx acura tech; 09-10-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Congrats on your purchase and welcome, you mentioned you purchased your car from Carmax? Did you get the extended warranty thru them as well? If so, you have the option of taking it to an Acura dealership to have the interior light bulbs replaced. I would go with that option if available.
I also wanted to say that your Prelude looked really good! I have an 05 NBP TL which I bought new in 05. I considered the DGP color but unfortunately it was not available with Ebony interior, and I don't like the Camel or Parchment colors. I also considered a WDP but again it was only available in Parchment or Quartz, I could have gone with Quartz but none were available with the Nav (sigh) so if it wasn't one thing it was the other...lol. I really wanted the NBP/Ebony combo so I jumped on it as soon as I found one.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the welcome wishes everyone!

Carlos: I did purchase the extended warranty. Unfortunately, it would cost me a $75 copay to take it to Acura to change the dash lights. I ordered them a few days ago and they should be in soon (along with the new aluminum strip). I think I might try to change them myself. I'd like to get familiar with how the dash comes apart. I've installed quite a few stereo's in my day, so it shouldn't be too difficult if I take my time and be careful.

My Prelude was actually Flamenco Black Pearl - which has the blue flakes in it. I believe NBP has red flakes?

Jeowen: I'd love to make it to a meet sometime!

---------------------

I also received the Hawk ceramic pads that I ordered. I'll be putting them on this weekend, along with getting the rotors turned.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
2011 BMW 335i

NBP - Nighthawk Black Pearl has blue flakes also. I get compliments on it all the time but it is a pain to keep clean tho - last black car for me.

As far as the Carmax co-pay, you are correct, I think if you have Carmax fix it then its a $50 deductible or if you take it to Acura its $75. Its good that you ordered the parts already, although really this was something that should have been functioning correctly on the car when you bought it from Carmax. Maybe you can seek reimbursment from them?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Your first two pictures looks similar to my color, Anthracite Metallic. Anyway, congrats on your beautiful TL.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 PM
2007 Cabon Bronze Pearl

Great pics. Nice car for the price! Welcome to AZ. This site is great!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
just incase this question didnt get answered, the reason for the 2 different part numbers for the front brake pads is the 6mt's came with brembo's up front and the autos didnt, until 07 when the type s auto/mt both came with them...thats the cause for the major dusting....

looks like you also got the full aspec body kit as you have the rear as well as the front lip...

becareful with update nav discs, sometimes if there had been numerous updates you cant skip all the way to the newest due to the firmware upgrades along the way, i dont know about these, but check ebay for a newer version of what you need....its been my experience with updates that they are never worth the full price for the newest one and most of the time they dont have the roads you were looking for anyway...lots of discs on ebay as people will buy updates and sell the older versions on the bay....

cool car!!