New Acura HID Bulbs... one is yellow now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Acura HID Bulbs... one is yellow now!

This has been an ongoing 6 month issue. While still under warranty, the dealer agreed to replace both headlight bulbs (have a friend who works there... helped a brother out). Ever since, the passanger side bulb has been yellowish with no problems on the driver side. You can see the yellow by looking at it directly and at its projection when pulling up to the garage door/wall. They have now replaced the bulb 3 times (part # 33116-SLO-003), put in a new ballast, and just put in an entire new headlight assembly... still yellow. They called Acura corporate and they have no solution either. They told me today that I have to live with it. This is my last stop before putting it up for sale. I can't keep a car with a problem "that can't be fixed"... drives me f-ing crazy! Let me know if you have had this same problem and was it ever fixed. THANKS!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
that acura dealership is pretty stupid...

New bulbs are going to be yellow for the first 100 hours of use. During and after this period they will turn whiter and bluer. The bulbs needs 100 hours of use to colorshift or for the color to burn into the bulb. It's completely normal for new bulbs. As well they should have been smart enough to know that HID's need to be replaced in pairs.
The following users liked this post:
just1nsama (12-03-2013)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
wow, has anyone bothered to do a voltage check going into the ballast? if it is past 100 hours of use and it is still yellow, I'd start checking voltages and make sure they are where they are supposed to be.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance

New bulbs are going to be yellow for the first 100 hours of use. During and after this period they will turn whiter and bluer. The bulbs needs 100 hours of use to colorshift or for the color to burn into the bulb. It's completely normal for new bulbs. As well they should have been smart enough to know that HID's need to be replaced in pairs.
I agree with you, as there is a service news about this because we used to get (and still get a few) customers who complained about the yellow. In regards to replacing in pairs, our advisors usually can't convince the customer to do that due to cost So then it becomes really noticeable!

OP - Along with voltage checks, a simple check could potentially swapping bulbs side to side, for either a short, or long period of time. I'm slightly inclined to say voltage may not be the issue because a lack of proper voltage, in my experience, causes either flickering/no operation. Was there any body work done in the past?

That said, I've never actually had this specific problem; the bulbs have always shifted after the expected time frame. The only thing I'm really going on is a loose ground after body repair (2G TL, caused flickering), and a bad alternator (2G TL) that caused loss of proper operating voltage at times (again, caused flickering and at times no operation).

Possible to supply pics for comparision? I still think swapping the bulbs, regardless of time frame, could assist in diag.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Advanced

My friend there did all the work and my receipt indicates that he replaced both bulbs back in May of 2009. The driver side never had a problem. The passenger bulb was yellow from May 2009 until this past Feb 9th so I am sure it has been on way over 100 yours in 9 months. The now third bulb was put in and it is still yellow today. I tried to get the back cover off the driver side to pull the bulb myself and I could not get the cover in a position to clear the ignitor and other shit aroud it to get it out of the way and remove the bulb. Maybe he couldn't get to it either and the original bulb was put back in before he installed the new headlight assembly and just said fuck it... or he truly forgot. Looking for thread to change driver side HID bulb.
The original 2005 bulb Acura part number was 33115-S84-AO1 and the new one is 33116-SOL-003. Acura indicates they changed the bulb when the 2007 model headlight came out with daytime running lights, but still works on the 04-06 models.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced

He did check the voltage after the second ballast was installed... everything checked good.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Since they agreed to cover both lights under warranty, they replaced them both. The car has never been in an accident. I had both headlight assemblies replaced under warranty because they both had tiny cracks on the inside of the covers from something unknown to me or them... so the Acura district rep said to replace them. The light does not flicker at all. When I first turn it on the color matches, but in starts to get more and more yellow for the first 30 seconds and stays at that level. acuratech239... how can I get the driver side cover off and how can I check the ground on the pass side?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Did you swap the bulbs to see if the problem follows the bulb?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Micha - I think the OP is still having a problem with getting the driver's side cover off to access the bulb, hence why he hasn't swapped them yet as I suggested. That said -

OP - The driver's side is tougher to get the bulb out of, especially if you don't have a cold air intake. That said, it can be done with an OEM intake, without taking the bumper off and the headlight out. Sadly, there aren't really any tips I can give you other then as you realized, it's very tight fitting in there. If my memory serves me correctly, you don't actually remove the cover on that side, rather just move it as far out of the way as possible (which isn't much), to access and remove the bulb. You'll probably cut up your hands/wrists/arms a little bit in the process. Even someone like me with skinny arms has a little trouble with this. If I remember correctly, there should be a DIY for bulb change without bumper/headlight removal somewhere in the 3G forum. Worst case scenario, remove the bumper and headlights as needed Hope this helps, and keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to go in behind the driver side fender liner but it just lead to fustration and scratched up arms and hands. It would take me an hour to remove one bulb but I found it easier and less time consuming to remove the front bumper. Now I can have the both headlights replaced and bumper back on in less 30 minutes. There is a youtube video on how to do it.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuratech239
Micha - I think the OP is still having a problem with getting the driver's side cover off to access the bulb, hence why he hasn't swapped them yet as I suggested. That said -

OP - The driver's side is tougher to get the bulb out of, especially if you don't have a cold air intake. That said, it can be done with an OEM intake, without taking the bumper off and the headlight out. Sadly, there aren't really any tips I can give you other then as you realized, it's very tight fitting in there. If my memory serves me correctly, you don't actually remove the cover on that side, rather just move it as far out of the way as possible (which isn't much), to access and remove the bulb. You'll probably cut up your hands/wrists/arms a little bit in the process. Even someone like me with skinny arms has a little trouble with this. If I remember correctly, there should be a DIY for bulb change without bumper/headlight removal somewhere in the 3G forum. Worst case scenario, remove the bumper and headlights as needed Hope this helps, and keep us posted.
I may try to tackle it this weekend when I have more time... I will post an update when I get them swapped. Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by SPORTNTL
I may try to tackle it this weekend when I have more time... I will post an update when I get them swapped. Thanks for all your help!
No prob, let me know how it turns out!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by SPORTNTL
Take your time! Don't rush it or get mad at if, If you do things won't go your way and they can quickly become worse!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Take your time! Don't rush it or get mad at if, If you do things won't go your way and they can quickly become worse!
Well... I took my time and got the bulbs swapped without removing the bumper or anything. It was a bitch and my hands and arms show it. Guess what... they are BOTH the same color yellow now!!! I wonder if the ballast or ignitor is destroying the bulb. This would explain why when the dealer swapped the ballast and put in the OLD light to test it, it was still yellow. Whatever it is, when the bulb turns yellow... it stays yellow. I can't find anything on the internet to back this up so the dealer will think I am crazy even though my friend works there. I am going to give it a week and see what happens. This sucks! :thumbsdow I would post a picture from my computer but I'm a dumb ass and don't know how.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced

I put 2 pics in my album under YELLOW HID's... doesn't show the yellow very well in the pics though.

Last edited by SPORTNTL; 02-19-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
maybe the surface of the bulbs were touched?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced

^ I know for a fact I did not touch the good bulb I took from the driver side and moved to the passanger side.

Any comments or suggestions now??? I put 5 pics in my album now that show the yellow light(s).
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this is a interesting thread! I have a 08 TL and have had no problems with the OEM Xenon's up till about 2 weeks ago; I too have begun to notice when pulling into the garage or looking at the Xenon's when on that the passenger side has turned a yellowish color while the driver side has remained normal!

I might have to take it in and have the voltage checked! This is really ridiculous considering the car is only 1.5 years old.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Advanced

I gave up last month. They are both a tint of yellow and I will have to live with it until I get rig of it at the end of the summer. I am sick of driving a FWD car anyway... AWD is next. Post what the dealer does for you though.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
4th Gear

Same problem now

Hello I have the same problem the first driver's side bulb appeared pink i ask myself, 'll change bulbs. I went to the dealer I bought 2 bulbs later, i change removing the bumper myself everything was fine until the 2 bulbs look yellow was the truth I wonder how I could fix this problem. HATE seeing my car like this
Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
oem bulbs are supposed to be a little yellow

and if you really hate yellow, just buy an aftermarket 5000k bulb. such a simple and cheap solution

Last edited by paperboy42190; 12-03-2013 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
killer8rican (12-04-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 AM
4th Gear

??

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
oem bulbs are supposed to be a little yellow

and if you really hate yellow, just buy an aftermarket 5000k bulb. such a simple and cheap solution
basically the old bulbs were white 5000k, the rason that i replace one was the bulb turn pink but the other was perfect. the dealer recommended replacement 2 bulbs. after the change are now yellow. when I see another Acura tl there not the same look
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
didnt you read the above posts? new bulbs will be yellower the first 100 hours of use. if you dont drive at night much, 100 hrs may take couple months to rack up