New 3G Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 3G Owner Questions

So, I just purchased a used 2005 TL - love the car, even with 108K on it! I have a couple questions I hope can be answered. I have searched the forum but come up empty handed.

1. Should the lights on the front fenders above the tires be lit at any time? I have tried everything and they do not light up. If they are supposed to light up, anyone run across a tutorial on replacing the bulbs?
  2. The volume and channel up/down does not light up on the steering wheel (cruise and handsfree does). I assume it should. Any suggestions what could be the culprit? I checked owners manual but did not see anything indicating a fuse for that.
  3. The dealer said they did not know if the 105K service was done (the one that includes timing belt). I have read that there is no way to really know if the belt was changed, but if the service indicator came on, is it possible for the previous owner to have reset it without doing the service?

Thanks so much!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
5th Gear

Okay - so I did find a how to for replacing the LED in the steering wheel for the controls. Would you all agree it would be the LED's that are causing the volume and channel controls to not light up, while all the others are?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kilo323
So, I just purchased a used 2005 TL - love the car, even with 108K on it! I have a couple questions I hope can be answered. I have searched the forum but come up empty handed.

1. Should the lights on the front fenders above the tires be lit at any time? I have tried everything and they do not light up. If they are supposed to light up, anyone run across a tutorial on replacing the bulbs?
  2. The volume and channel up/down does not light up on the steering wheel (cruise and handsfree does). I assume it should. Any suggestions what could be the culprit? I checked owners manual but did not see anything indicating a fuse for that.
  3. The dealer said they did not know if the 105K service was done (the one that includes timing belt). I have read that there is no way to really know if the belt was changed, but if the service indicator came on, is it possible for the previous owner to have reset it without doing the service?

Thanks so much!
Having purchased my TL just last September, I feel you on all these questions.

On your questions:

1. No, they only light up when you either have running lights or full headlights on. They are not meant to stay on all the time, so there's nothing wrong.

2. Mine don't light up either, it's not part of the design. You can do some aftermarket stuff to put a light into there, but it's not on the car originally (maybe later years have it, but I know our years don't).

3. Yes, that is a possibility. I wasn't sure if it was done on mine either, so I just replaced it to be sure. There's a deal on the main page with a dealer in Santa Rosa that's selling the parts for the 105k service for just $295 which is a steal of a deal. The thread is titled something like "give your TL some valentine's day love" or something like that. I ordered it from him just a few weeks ago (so I could get it done before my road trip) and it arrived in two days. The dealer couldn't come close to that price, they wanted to charge me $500 for parts, but unless you do the job yourself expect to pay around $400-500 for labor at the dealer. Since your car is out of warranty, I recommend taking it to a Honda dealer- they are qualified to do the same job and they will charge less than the Acura dealer. Finding an independent shop you trust is even better, they will do it for even cheaper.

I'm baffled as to why they didn't make all the stuff light up (just like in my 04 they don't have the defroster/recirculate controls on the console light up either) but that's just how it is. I'll see if I can find the DIY for you when I get out of class (I'm pretending to study in the library right now).
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply. That is so odd that not everything lights up. Weird. As for the side lights (are they called marker lights?), I have tried everything and they do not light up. I think the bulbs must be out. Hopefully that is a pretty easy DIY.

Definitely am going to do the 105K service. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Racer

FIY the mirror (left right) switch, VSA and some other things dont light up either.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is so odd that not everything lights up. Weird. As for the side lights (are they called marker lights?), I have tried everything and they do not light up. I think the bulbs must be out. Hopefully that is a pretty easy DIY.

Definitely am going to do the 105K service. Thanks for the tips.
if it the side marker you have to change whole piece where you live i have one side marker extra so we can check if that is the problem
Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by EL PESADO
if it the side marker you have to change whole piece where you live i have one side marker extra so we can check if that is the problem
I see you are NY - I am in Dallas, TX. Is it pretty easy to swap out the front side marker lights? That is the side lights above the tires, right? I could not find any how-to on this site or others that I have searched.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Pro

I see you are NY - I am in Dallas, TX. Is it pretty easy to swap out the front side marker lights? That is the side lights above the tires, right? I could not find any how-to on this site or others that I have searched.
oh man you live too far but if you gonna change the side marker buy the type s i think gonna look better but i dont if you like search you can see many cars with that and you can have a idea
Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Pro

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/diy-modifying-front-side-marker-lights-3g-garage-ref-g-064-a-572135/this can help you how take out the side marker
Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Instructor

An FYI... duoDSG is wrong on the steering wheels lights!! They should all light up when your headlights are on. Also, if your side markers don't light up when your lights are on then they need replaced or you need to check your fuses!!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by fireman252525
An FYI... duoDSG is wrong on the steering wheels lights!! They should all light up when your headlights are on. Also, if your side markers don't light up when your lights are on then they need replaced or you need to check your fuses!!
I checked the owners manual. I do not see anything for front side markers - would it be called something else?