Need some advise/help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise/help

So long story short, my mom drove my car about 20 miles on FIRST GEAR on sports shift mode. She pretty much drove 20 miles on red line. The next morning, i turned on my engine and i hear a loud ticking noise from the engine. The noise grew louder as i pressed on the gas pedal. After about 5 mins of driving that day, the noise completely stopped. Its been 2 days now and i havent heard any strange noise. Is this something i could be fine with or could there be a big problem in my engine without much signs of problems? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If it's not making the noise (lifter) at the present time, don't worry about it, nothing you can do. I'd replace the oil and filter just for peace of mind.
Be nice to Mom!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with both pieces of Turbonut's advice, but I'm not as confident of his diagnosis--our cars don't have "lifters." That's pushrod technology. We have an overhead cam that more or less directly opens and closes the valves. Most American engines from the late 50's on had hydraulic valve lifters that could clog or stick, and then would make the noise you describe. It was mostly an annoyance. That noise in our engines could be something considerably more serious, but if the noise has gone away the techs probably couldn't figure out what caused it without opening up the valve train, along with your wallet, and maybe not even then. I'd just keep driving it. If there's a real problem it'll get worse, and if there's not, why look for trouble?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Burning Brakes

ouch I feel sorry for u...

keep an eye out on the engine mounts
Old 07-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by shftl
I agree with both pieces of Turbonut's advice, but I'm not as confident of his diagnosis--our cars don't have "lifters." That's pushrod technology. We have an overhead cam that more or less directly opens and closes the valves. Most American engines from the late 50's on had hydraulic valve lifters that could clog or stick, and then would make the noise you describe. It was mostly an annoyance. That noise in our engines could be something considerably more serious, but if the noise has gone away the techs probably couldn't figure out what caused it without opening up the valve train, along with your wallet, and maybe not even then. I'd just keep driving it. If there's a real problem it'll get worse, and if there's not, why look for trouble?
Duh! 110% correct, my oversight, guess I'm dating myself with that terminology.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
wtf.. why would your mom do that? why would you let your mom drive your car if she doesn't understand how to drive it?

turbonut is 100% right... be nice to your mom. This is completely fubar'd.. get your oil & filter changed stat after running some seafoam through oil / intake / fuel tank.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH. Man I was hurting just reading your original post. Be nice to mom but do show her what she did so she can learn. Perhaps take her for a spin letting her drive but you supervise. Hope no real damage is done. You may have just dodged a bullet.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Wow...I just....ugh...

I mean...it's not rocket science..she should've noticed the engine screaming at redline going 25mph and realized she was doing something wrong.

I feel so horrible for you, anyone else and you would have complete reason to go balls to the wall and just ream them a new one for doing that to your car (even dad..) but...since it's mom...sigh..
Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the replies everyone. yeah what can i do, its my mom that drove it who i dearly love haha. the car seems to run fine for now. no noise or anything. the car is still under warranty and im thinking if i should let the dealership check it out. but im very skeptical of the dealership since i hear so many bad stories about them.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
OUCH, sorry to hear that
Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I remember when (1984) my sister drove my Dad's 1976 Eldorado at highway speeds (55 mph) in second gear until it overheated and shut down. She called my Dad who drove about 30 minutes to meet her on the side of the highway.

When he got there the engine had cooled down and it started fine. He drove it the rest of the way home. The next few days he kept waiting for it to blow up or something. Days became weeks, weeks became months and months became years and nothing ever went bad.

Hopefully your experience will be the same. Good luck. Oh, and gently explain to Mom that "D" is for Drive.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 07-14-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Instructor

The Joys Of Cast Iron!

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I remember when (1984) my sister drove my Dad's 1976 Eldorado at highway speeds (55 mph) in second gear until it overheated and shut down. She called my Dad who drove about 30 minutes to meet her on the side of the highway.

When he got there the engine had cooled down and it started fine. He drove it the rest of the way home. The next few days he kept waiting for it to blow up or something. Days became weeks, weeks became months and months became years and nothing ever went bad.

Hopefully your experience will be the same. Good luck. Oh, and gently explain to Mom that "D" is for Drive.
Those were the days! Overheated cast iron blocks and heads return more or less to their original shape and dimension when they cool back down. Aluminum blocks and heads return to the scrap pile from which they came.