Need new caliper - am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new caliper - am I getting ripped off?

06 - 6MT w/ 75k miles

So I'm driving and suddenly I hear this somewhat loud, constant and intermittent screeching sound coming from my wheels. I find out it's my rear wheels that are screeching and so I take it to the dealer and they tell me I need a new rear brake caliper and pad. The pad had worn all the way down and made slight damage to the rotor, but it looks as thought the rotor isn't that bad and can be saved. They want to charge me $340 for the pad and caliper and labor. Is this a good price or can I get this done at a lower cost?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
It can always be done at a lower cost than most any dealer, especially if you're going to do it yourself. If you see the rotor is grooved throw it away and a new one is in order along with the rear pads.
The caliper list is $165, pad set $62, total $227 so I guess labor is $113. Add a rotor $100 and the price is $440.
Using Rock Auto as an example, rebuilt loaded caliper $85, rotor $50 for $135 total or $305 savings.

Good idea to bleed the system after 3 years if you haven't and also be wary about the other calipers if one is contaminated.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by ohreallywhat
06 - 6MT w/ 75k miles

So I'm driving and suddenly I hear this somewhat loud, constant and intermittent screeching sound coming from my wheels. I find out it's my rear wheels that are screeching and so I take it to the dealer and they tell me I need a new rear brake caliper and pad. The pad had worn all the way down and made slight damage to the rotor, but it looks as thought the rotor isn't that bad and can be saved. They want to charge me $340 for the pad and caliper and labor. Is this a good price or can I get this done at a lower cost?
It's happened before with rear calipers sticking on TLs. Somewhat rare, but not unheard of.

The caliper probably could be rebuilt. Ask them.

The list price for a new caliper is $162. Pad set is $62. So, no, they are not overcharging for a dealer.

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/P...gPicture=False
Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the rears seem prone to contamination failure and corrossion pitting of the inner wall so it cant be rebuilt

cars on the east coast really seem to get moisture in the brake fluid,,
wiki hygroscopic to understand why

I have done gen3s with 2 years on them and crud was nasty grey!!
acura is liberal with that 3 years till first change,,I say 1 year then every year
prevents costly repairs

when a caliper is replaced the entire system does get flushed/burped so that is part of the labor time
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when the caliper hangs partially on and you drive a few hours, smoke comes from the brake pad as its worn down to nothing- actual fire can result-
while the pad on other side of rotor is getting little or no pressure applied to it

they should be replacing the brake pads across both wheels,
you dont replace 1 pad or 1 side alone
always keep braking even
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Turbonut and nfnsquared:
Thanks for the pricing information. It seems like the quote they gave me is within reason. I did not ask if it can be rebuilt but it seems like from what 01tl4tl stated, it's probably best to get a new one.

01tl4tl:
Thanks for the advice. I think I will call and have them replace the other pad. So you are suggesting as well to replace the brake fluid in the rear as well?
Also, thanks so much for the link to the parts. That will help me possibly negotiate the price of the service a bit .
Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Skillionare

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just buy the caliper, and the pads and put them on yourself. Takes about 30 minutes. When I did the legend caliper swap on my CL-S I just clamped the brake lines shut before removing the calipers then replaced them with new pads re-attached the lines then remove the pinch. Just be sure to pump your brakes rigorously before driving so they tighten up again. Or you can always bleed the brakes and do new fluid and still come out ahead of stealership pricing.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by ohreallywhat
Turbonut and nfnsquared:
Thanks for the pricing information. It seems like the quote they gave me is within reason. I did not ask if it can be rebuilt but it seems like from what 01tl4tl stated, it's probably best to get a new one.

01tl4tl:
Thanks for the advice. I think I will call and have them replace the other pad. So you are suggesting as well to replace the brake fluid in the rear as well?
Also, thanks so much for the link to the parts. That will help me possibly negotiate the price of the service a bit .
They can be rebuilt rather inexpensiverly ($13 parts) and crocus cloth can be used on the bore with no problem, unless the bore is heavily pittted, which I doubt. Having said that, the dealership will not rebuild the caliper as it's too time consuming and the price of the rebuilding will probably cost as much as a new caliper.

Check to see if the labor price includes the bleeding of all 4 wheels to remove the old fluid. The new caliper can be replaced and only that caliper needs to be bleed to complete the job.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
They can be rebuilt rather inexpensiverly ($13 parts) and crocus cloth can be used on the bore with no problem, unless the bore is heavily pittted, which I doubt. Having said that, the dealership will not rebuild the caliper as it's too time consuming and the price of the rebuilding will probably cost as much as a new caliper.

Check to see if the labor price includes the bleeding of all 4 wheels to remove the old fluid. The new caliper can be replaced and only that caliper needs to be bleed to complete the job.
You're probably right, I could rebuild it for that price and maybe learn something. Maybe if I was in college still, I would be up for the challenge. But I really do not have the time and need the car soon. I'll pay the dealer for now and try my best to negotiate a price. I will check the invoice of the service to see if they itemized whether they bled all 4 wheels. Thanks very much for the advice.

On a side note, they gave me a 2011 TL as a loaner for the week. Very nice car, but still dislike the body styling and the fact there's no touch screen navigation any more . That stupid knob reminds me of my wife's BMW, which I hate. But still a nice ride .