Need help asap- Check engine light/VSA on...reduced power

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Need help asap- Check engine light/VSA on...reduced power

Hi guys I figured I would start a new post on this as my other thread titel didnt apply any longer.
As I was driving home last night my check engine light and vsa light were on the whole time. I drove about 35 miles like this. It seems my car will not rev above 2000 RPM's and fortunatley I was able to coast in neutral most of the way ( I have a 6 speed). Based upon my search it seems my APP sensor may be bad. I have a few questions--

1)Is it safe to drive my car in this condition ? I mean it accelerates REALLY slow and all but I would like to drive it to the local autozone to get the code.

2) The acura dealer told me its possible autozone may erase the error code if they go to check it...is there some way to avoid that ?

3) Ultimately the acura dealer is going to fix my car---should I just take it directly to them ? Also is a part like the APP sensor usually available same day ?

4) My acura dealer is far away...can someone else--like a honda dealer fix this problem ?

I know I can order this online and maybe fix myself but this is my daily commuter and only car so I cant wait days and days for a part to arrive, I need the car now.

Thank you in advance guys...this messageboard is a great resource
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Your car went into a "limp home mode". The codes can be read with a hand held tool (I have one) without erasing them unless you want them erased. Get this fixed ASAP. If you are out of warranty, there's no reason a quality shop can't do the repair for you. As for an Acura of Honda dealer's shop, they should have this part in their inventory.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
thanks southern boy. My dealer has already said they dont have the part in stock. *sigh
I will have to tow it to them anyway.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue this week, thought my car wouldn't make it home on my 50 mile commute. Don't get an APP, it's not the problem.

Solution: Go to the gas station, fill 'er up, tighten your gas cap (twist 3 times/'til you think you're gonna break it).

The next day, the VSA didn't come on, and the day after that, the CEL went off. No issues since. It explains why this issue has come and gone over the past year..it's a user error.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by defecticon001
I had the same issue this week, thought my car wouldn't make it home on my 50 mile commute. Don't get an APP, it's not the problem.

Solution: Go to the gas station, fill 'er up, tighten your gas cap (twist 3 times/'til you think you're gonna break it).

The next day, the VSA didn't come on, and the day after that, the CEL went off. No issues since. It explains why this issue has come and gone over the past year..it's a user error.
Don't assume that that is necessarily the issue. My car has been acting the exact same and I tightened and then re-tightened the gas cap. Had it scanned by a local mechanic and he says that it is my O2 sensor ...
Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by illfrozn
Don't assume that that is necessarily the issue. My car has been acting the exact same and I tightened and then re-tightened the gas cap. Had it scanned by a local mechanic and he says that it is my O2 sensor ...
Basically what he means is:

Have the codes pulled and double-check them to verify the error. There's only a handful of bad lights that can come on in your car but 100 ways in which the ECU can be triggered to turn them on.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you ever get your problem fixed?

My 2007 TL is doing the exact same thing. VSA and Engine lights pop on and car goes into VSA mode, where pushing the gas pedal is almost useless until I can pull over and restart the engine. Pulled code (P0848) at AutoZone, they say "failed APP sensor". This happened to me 4 times this morning.

Gillman Acura in Houston told me the sensor that tells the car the position of the gas pedal is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Price quoted to fix is just under $400.00.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by anacreon
Did you ever get your problem fixed?

My 2007 TL is doing the exact same thing. VSA and Engine lights pop on and car goes into VSA mode, where pushing the gas pedal is almost useless until I can pull over and restart the engine. Pulled code (P0848) at AutoZone, they say "failed APP sensor". This happened to me 4 times this morning.

Gillman Acura in Houston told me the sensor that tells the car the position of the gas pedal is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Price quoted to fix is just under $400.00.
BINGO fixed mine for $360 at a good shop @ around 75,000... part is only like $150 though... " they replaced the sensor right in front of the block on the manifold behind radiator.... but I had the identical symptoms

Good luck