AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Is my power steering done? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/my-power-steering-done-629520/)

eclipse641 12-24-2007 08:44 PM

Power Steering Whining Fix!!!

I also have a 04 tl with 57k on it. My car started to make the noise and I was extremely pissed especially with being out of warranty. I have replaced both o-rings on inlet and out hoses and problem was cured. Something about air getting into the system. Acura has also released a TSB for this issue. I would attach it but i cannot seem to figure out how.

pbcmedia 12-25-2007 04:54 AM

ps pump whinning noise

im glad i found this thread cause i was about to start it to see if any1 else had this problem... im getting that whinning noise when i start my car as well, just started this winter. since i gotta go in to my dealer on thurs to get my hfl replaced i guess ill have them look at the ps pump as well.... thanks guys :thumbsup:

levon1830 12-26-2007 11:48 AM

Well, I replaced the o-ring on the PS pump inlet joint a little while ago--which took all of 10 minutes--but unfortunately, the whining noise is still there when the engine is cold. :sad: I am now going to try replacing o-ring on the outlet joint. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the hoses. If that doesn't work, I will have to take my car into the dealer for diagnosis.

eclipse641 12-27-2007 02:17 AM

I had replaced the one o-ring as well but after changing both the car made a wierd noise and the whining stopped. Basically the noise is from air getting into the system. Change both o-rings and you should be good to go. I think that this problem occurs when people make the mistake of putting power steering fluid what is not honda brand which is what I did and that warps the o-rings causing the squeaking. Hope this helps.

jaggedaz 12-28-2007 06:04 PM

I just ran into this problem as well after a 1400 mile trip to Texas where it's a bit colder than where I'm from (AZ). If you still have some spares I'd like two please. Please contact me at jaggedaz@cox.net.

I've fixed so many problems with my TL using the help I've found on this site. Big thanks to everyone who contributes!

Originally Posted by Royce Han
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h_IMG_9488.jpg
what am i going to do with all these o-rings? only one person asked me so far.
-by the way, this is a special order part and chances are they will not have them in stock. i thought since so many people should be complaining right about now that all dealers everywhere wouldve caught onto that TSB or atleast the service and parts team , you know- some basic teamwork skills, but thats not the case.

Precision Crafted 01-04-2008 10:39 AM

Nice to know I am not alone but sad in that we have to deal with this. I just dropped my '04 TL off at my local dealer and the service manager is calling to see what can be done. He also reminded me I am out of warrenty to which I replied that some '04 owners are. He is hoping that it is an O-ring issue.

This kinda annoys me to no end but I agree with everyone inregards to the value this message board has been. If it wasn't for Acurazine I'd have been in the dark about most of the issues regarding Acura.

levon1830 01-04-2008 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by levon1830
Well, I replaced the o-ring on the PS pump inlet joint a little while ago--which took all of 10 minutes--but unfortunately, the whining noise is still there when the engine is cold. :sad: I am now going to try replacing o-ring on the outlet joint. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the hoses. If that doesn't work, I will have to take my car into the dealer for diagnosis.

Update: I ordered the other o-ring for my car, and it just recently came in and I picked it up from the dealer a couple of days ago. A couple of weeks ago, my PS pump would whine like there's no tomorrow in 50-degree weather. This morning, as Floridians know, was a cold one (high 30's/low 40's in my area I believe). I got in my car, started it up, and no whining at all from the PS pump! I think there was still air in the system that was eventually worked from normal driving. I will still install the other o-ring since I have it, but I just wanted to inform others of my findings. :thumbsup:

silverbulleTL 01-14-2008 01:18 PM

hi all, new to forum. not honda's.
anyways, just joined today, and its helpful for tips. but in regards to the p/s symptom, the 05 tl makes the same buzzing noise only in morning starts...its been 50+/- some degree reccently.

i went to the dealer and asked about the common problems heard of the tl's with p/s and asked for the seals, but service advisor said there was no tsb out for it and they know its a common problem. they also don't repair the system, just replace...due to not only seals, but also internal seals goin bad perhaps. it may be a reman unit...but no complaints.
so far, i have no leaks of any kind...just that it sounds like fluid starvation in cold morning starts for ~4-5 mins.

even with no leaks...this can still potentially fail due to internal vane type driven pump gears being worn if this type of system is still in common use for honda/acura vehicles.
the common fluid starvation/system noise should be addressed by honda soon hopefully.

silverbulleTL 01-14-2008 01:25 PM

fluid flushed and bottle cleaned and used all honda p/s fluids to no cure as of now. even used some thick(goin against recommendations, i know) lucas additives with no luck.

hope anyone else has updates...or inputs regarding what experiences they have with the reman/rebuilt units.

levon1830 01-14-2008 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by silverbulleTL
fluid flushed and bottle cleaned and used all honda p/s fluids to no cure as of now. even used some thick(goin against recommendations, i know) lucas additives with no luck.

hope anyone else has updates...or inputs regarding what experiences they have with the reman/rebuilt units.

When did you do this? I had to give the system in my car some time to work all of the air out. It took approximately one week of regular driving for this to happen.

silverbulleTL 01-14-2008 04:53 PM

When did you do this? I had to give the system in my car some time to work all of the air out. It took approximately one week of regular driving for this to happen.

the way we flush the p/s at honda dealerships(don't work at a dealership anymore) are exactly the same as taking a syphon to it and sucking the fluid out. turning the wheel left and right, while adding new fluids in...except its done mechanically. with a machine hooked up to the battery.

the tool is nothing fancy...so i just got a suction tool( like a large turkey baster) at autozone, and removed the bottle, washed out with simple green intil it was completely clear. re-install, and add new fluid.

but like i said...it wasn't like the fluid was the problem here. obviously it was the seals as 07-060tsb states.to be more clear, it seems like the photo was pointing out the vacuum(inlet) tube. but no point to fix it now as i've already made an appointment. but i will go 2morrow morning and emphasize that. and its really just a stupid seal, so why switch out with a re-man unit and have the tech rip things up just for a seal?

anyway, i'll see what will happen. i really don't mind anything at this point if they'll cover under warranty.

i may just use a lil teflon tape around the seal tonight and see if it remedy the problem... but have to wait til wifey comes home. it is her car anyway.

silverbulleTL 01-14-2008 05:00 PM

^^to add to that, it makes some sense that it can be just a pick-up tube(inlet) seal.
why? because the system works fine, and i have absolutely no leaks. and the noise stops when the car is warmed up.

i'll try the teflon trick tonight. circulate the system. let it sit overnight. and restart in the morning...see if i properly diagnosed the symptom. if i did, i'll repost back here and verify the repair procedure...or a quick fix/cure for the problem.

wait for the fix guys...

jkjones2 01-15-2008 07:34 AM

No More Noise!

The O-Ring fixed it!
Just as a precaution...I had the dealer repalce it and I opened a case log with Acura in case the PS pump started acting up.
Thanks to all who helped run down this issue.....

eclipse641 01-15-2008 09:56 AM

Power Steering Fix!!!

Replace both o-rings on inlet and outlet hoses. This will fix the problem unless you have been driving the car with the squeaking for a while. Then the pump is destined for failure. Hope this helps. It worked for me.

silverbulleTL 01-16-2008 12:22 AM

^^brought in car to dealer... will good will p/s pump.

however, the night prior i used some teflon tape around the inlet o-ring and the noise stopped this morning. there was still some slight ringing noise from the pump itself, so teflon tape removed before bringing to dealer. guess the p/s pump gear must've suffered some damage due to repeated exposure to air in system.

i bought the front o-ring anyway as i asked if any seals are gonna be good-willed with the repair. they said no...so after the new pump, i'll throw in the new seal as that is the cause of the problem. the teflon tape was just a quick cure/band-aid to verify the source of problem.

bottom line- replace o-ring if this problem happens to your car.

Flossy 01-17-2008 01:26 PM

Hi all,

I replaced the inlet o-ring and the noise went away. But now, I'm starting to get a noise after the car warms up. I looked inside the PS reservoir after I turned the engine off and the liquid looks frothy. Does this mean air is getting in somewhere? Should I replace the outlet ring too?

Thanks

jaggedaz 01-21-2008 01:11 AM

Flossy --

If you still have bubbles in your fluid then that would indicate that air is still making it into the pump. The Service Manual says that if there are bubbles in the reservoir to check for leak around the pump inlet, but doesn't say to check the outlet.

I noticed that someone had posted part numbers for the inlet/outlet rings and the part number for the inlet ring is incorrect. That part is for the old o-ring, you need to make sure that you get the new o-ring. The part number is listed in the TSB that someone linked to in this thread. The new o-ring is red in color while the old one is black, so that should help you identify it. I have a feeling you might have installed the old style and that is why you are still experiencing a problem.

VNMISS04 01-21-2008 08:35 AM

Hey guys, I just took my TL into the dealership today for the power steering pump. It was making the noise and there was a puddle of fluid on the ground. Mine is an 04 with 71,000 miles with no warranty. I'll let you guys know what they say. Chances are, knowing my luck, they'll charge me the whole price for the pump. :whyme:

levon1830 01-21-2008 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by VNMISS04
Hey guys, I just took my TL into the dealership today for the power steering pump. It was making the noise and there was a puddle of fluid on the ground. Mine is an 04 with 71,000 miles with no warranty. I'll let you guys know what they say. Chances are, knowing my luck, they'll charge me the whole price for the pump. :whyme:

Keep in mind--while there are plenty of good, honest dealerships in existence--many do all they can to squeeze as much money as possible out of their customers, even if it means doing more work than is necessary to fix a problem with your vehicle. Probably safe to say this is even more true when a woman walks in the door. They are not called stealerships without good reason.

If you are mechanically inclined and have 15 minutes to spare (seriously only that much time) I strongly recommend you replace the discussed o-ring before you take it to the dealer. Since you are out of warranty, they will likely charge you $90.00 just to diagnose the problem, in addition to at least $600.00 for parts and labor if they determine the pump needs to be replaced. Due to a lack of time for me, I almost headed down the same road, then I came across this thread on good 'ol Acurazine. :thumbsup:

Now, 15 minutes and approximately $2.XX later, my car no longer whines. I am going to replace all the P/S fluid soon for good measure, since my car has 75,XXX miles on it. All together, I have spent less than $15.00.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, try to find someone close to you that you trust that knows how to work on cars and have him/her do it for you. It's really worth the time. Good luck!

VNMISS04 01-21-2008 09:04 AM

Keep in mind--while there are plenty of good, honest dealerships in existence--many do all they can to squeeze as much money as possible out of their customers, even if it means doing more work than is necessary to fix a problem with your vehicle. Probably safe to say this is even more true when a woman walks in the door. They are not called stealerships without good reason.

If you are mechanically inclined and have 15 minutes to spare (seriously only that much time) I strongly recommend you replace the discussed o-ring before you take it to the dealer. Since you are out of warranty, they will likely charge you $90.00 just to diagnose the problem, in addition to at least $600.00 for parts and labor if they determine the pump needs to be replaced. Due to a lack of time for me, I almost headed down the same road, then I came across this thread on good 'ol Acurazine. :thumbsup:

Now, 15 minutes and approximately $2.XX later, my car no longer whines. I am going to replace all the P/S fluid soon for good measure, since my car has 75,XXX miles on it. All together, I have spent less than $15.00.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, try to find someone close to you that you trust that knows how to work on cars and have him/her do it for you. It's really worth the time. Good luck!

I've already taken it to the dealership. I dropped it off last night. The funny thing is, I had the car at the dealership Saturday as well for them to look at the transmission. They claim they did the inspection over the whole car and it was making that noise then. You'd think they would have noticed it.

I know dealerships are only in it to make money. The reason I took the car back to the dealership was because I had it there Saturday. And if they say the whole pump is out and won't fix it for me under "goodwill," I'll be replacing it myself.

VNMISS04 01-21-2008 09:51 AM

Just got a call from the dealership. The o-rings on the pump need to be replaced and a hose is bad. The guy said they just issued the TSB about this in December, like a lot of you had said. They are fixing the o-rings and hose for $120. Thats a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

Rob2004 01-21-2008 11:34 AM

This board is awesome. Just diagnosed the same o-ring problem and fixed it myself for $1 as opposed to replacing the PS motor and who knows what else. Very satisfying.
First the Giants beat the Pack then I fix my power steering problem. What a great couple of days. Thanks all.

ACKRITE05 01-21-2008 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=levon1830]Well, I replaced the o-ring on the PS pump inlet joint a little while ago--which took all of 10 minutes--but unfortunately, the whining noise is still there when the engine is cold. :sad: I am now going to try replacing o-ring on the outlet joint. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the hoses. If that doesn't work, I will have to take my car into the dealer for diagnosis.[/QUOTE

My car is in the shop as i type this post lol. As a matter of fact, this is the third time my car has been in the shop over this noise that comes and goes. I to am thankful for this site because it's like you're in a world all by yourself. And to think, AN "O" RING?!!! LMAO. A SIMPLE LIL PART RATHER THAN A P/S PUMP. WELL AS FOR ME, MY '05 TL IS @ 6OK+ AND IM CURRENTLY UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY THANK GOD BECAUSE THE DEALERSHIP HAS ALREADY REPLACED THE P/S PUMP LOL BUT TO NO AVAIL. THE NOISE IS STILL THERE AND THEY'RE SAYING THEY CANT DUPLICATED THE NOISE IM HEARING. HOPEFULLY I CAN GET THE O-RINGS AND GET THE PROBLEM RESOLVED. I STILL LOVE MY CAR :thumbsup: . I JUST HATE IGNORANCE!! :annoyed:

Precision Crafted 01-21-2008 10:13 PM

Since my car was out of warranty Acura covered half to the repair which was a blessing to say the lest.

My pump and anything else that needed to be replaced was. There was also a leak that was coming from the power steering system and that too was fixed between Acura and I.

Thank you Acurazine for this site because I used the TSB notice that was posted her to show my Service Manager and all went well after that!

Precision Crafted 01-21-2008 10:13 PM

Since my car was out of warranty Acura covered half to the repair which was a blessing to say the lest.

My pump and anything else that needed to be replaced was. There was also a leak that was coming from the power steering system and that too was fixed between Acura and I.

Thank you Acurazine for this site because I used the TSB notice that was posted her to show my Service Manager and all went well after that!

ACKRITE05 01-22-2008 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=ACKRITE05]

Well, I replaced the o-ring on the PS pump inlet joint a little while ago--which took all of 10 minutes--but unfortunately, the whining noise is still there when the engine is cold. :sad: I am now going to try replacing o-ring on the outlet joint. If that doesn't work, I will try replacing the hoses. If that doesn't work, I will have to take my car into the dealer for diagnosis.[/QUOTE

My car is in the shop as i type this post lol. As a matter of fact, this is the third time my car has been in the shop over this noise that comes and goes. I to am thankful for this site because it's like you're in a world all by yourself. And to think, AN "O" RING?!!! LMAO. A SIMPLE LIL PART RATHER THAN A P/S PUMP. WELL AS FOR ME, MY '05 TL IS @ 6OK+ AND IM CURRENTLY UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY THANK GOD BECAUSE THE DEALERSHIP HAS ALREADY REPLACED THE P/S PUMP LOL BUT TO NO AVAIL. THE NOISE IS STILL THERE AND THEY'RE SAYING THEY CANT DUPLICATED THE NOISE IM HEARING. HOPEFULLY I CAN GET THE O-RINGS AND GET THE PROBLEM RESOLVED. I STILL LOVE MY CAR :thumbsup: . I JUST HATE IGNORANCE!! :annoyed:

IM BAAAAAAACK. AND TO NO AVAIL. THEY DIDNT HEAR A NOISE. SO IF IT EVER COMES BACK THEN I'LL BE BACK @ THE DEALERSHIP. HE SAID I HAD NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BEING THAT IT POSES NO THREAT AS FAR AS SAFETY IS CONCERNED AND THAT IM ALSO STILL UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY LOL. IT WAS ABOUT 34 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND I DIDNT HEAR THE NOISE MYSELF. SO UMMM. MAYBE IT FIXED ITSELF. HELL I DUNNO. LMAO

pbcmedia 01-24-2008 10:34 AM

so i just came from the acura dealer, because of the noise from the power steering.... on my last visit i told them about the noise and they said i was just low on fluid. this time they said its a hose, but its not covered under the vsc warranty... does anyone know if this is true????

ssm from jc 01-25-2008 05:48 PM

replaced both o-rings and BAM the noise is gone and it's good as new. :thumbsup:

TylerT 01-25-2008 07:01 PM

I replaced my o-ring about 3 weeks ago. No more PS noise .. even when it's 30 - 35f :).

RogeN2G 01-26-2008 10:19 PM

INLET and OUTLET HOSE

for those of you who changed the INLET and OUTLET hose,
are the O rings the same sizes. or are they different sizes

please tell me........... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

is anyone still selling both o rings, if so I WILL BUY 1 for inlet
and 1 for outlet

ACKRITE05 01-27-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ACKRITE05
IM BAAAAAAACK. AND TO NO AVAIL. THEY DIDNT HEAR A NOISE. SO IF IT EVER COMES BACK THEN I'LL BE BACK @ THE DEALERSHIP. HE SAID I HAD NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BEING THAT IT POSES NO THREAT AS FAR AS SAFETY IS CONCERNED AND THAT IM ALSO STILL UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY LOL. IT WAS ABOUT 34 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND I DIDNT HEAR THE NOISE MYSELF. SO UMMM. MAYBE IT FIXED ITSELF. HELL I DUNNO. LMAO

I was observing that my car tends to make the p/s noise on my first crank during cold morning. Now i've noticed that after i get to work, which is a 30 minute commute, i here the noise when i arrive in the parking lot. It makes even more noise when i turn my wheel. I honestly feel the dealership is riding my warranty out. When i initially had taken my car there, the service tech mentioned the "faulty o-rings". But i've since had the p/s pump replaced. Why? U read between the lines lol...

jaggedaz 01-27-2008 01:29 PM

They are two different O-rings. I think on the first or second page of this thread someone posted the two original part numbers. One of those is the old inlet, so refer to the TSB for the new part number, but the other part is for the outlet ring which hasn't changed.

I found both rings at the Honda dealer, and there was no special order. I would just call around and most likely a local Honda dealer will have them.

Originally Posted by RogeN2G
for those of you who changed the INLET and OUTLET hose,
are the O rings the same sizes. or are they different sizes

please tell me........... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

is anyone still selling both o rings, if so I WILL BUY 1 for inlet
and 1 for outlet

RogeN2G 01-27-2008 05:46 PM

SHould you changed

SHoULD you changed just the one inlet hose O ring like the TSB says, and change the outlet o ring also,

or are people just doing it for the hell of it,

just trying to get some clarification, are the in and out rings the same size,

jaggedaz 01-29-2008 10:35 AM

They are different part numbers, so I'm assuming that they are different sizes. I believe that the inlet o-ring is the only one that is causing air to get into the pump, so I don't think replacing the outlet ring is doing anything, but it can't hurt. I only replaced the inlet ring and the problem went away immediately and hasn't returned in the last three weeks.

Originally Posted by RogeN2G
SHoULD you changed just the one inlet hose O ring like the TSB says, and change the outlet o ring also,

or are people just doing it for the hell of it,

just trying to get some clarification, are the in and out rings the same size,

RogeN2G 01-29-2008 06:22 PM

thanks jaggedaz, i now know

apexii 01-30-2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Royce Han
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h_IMG_9488.jpg
what am i going to do with all these o-rings? only one person asked me so far.
-by the way, this is a special order part and chances are they will not have them in stock. i thought since so many people should be complaining right about now that all dealers everywhere wouldve caught onto that TSB or atleast the service and parts team , you know- some basic teamwork skills, but thats not the case.

Email sent, and thanks for such a generous offer. This forum never ceases to amaze me...... :thumbsup:

RobNClt 02-05-2008 08:31 PM

I want to thank everyone in this forum for describing the noise and fix for the problem with the O-Ring. My 2004's O-Ring was replaced yesterday and it was quiet last night when I left work for home and quiet this morning when I started it and went to work.

The service department knew about the problem, had the right O-Ring for the fixed it. The service advisor made an interesting statement when I was picking my car up. He said he was amazed most of the O-Ring problems started around the same time. That is rare, some people had 50k miles, some 70k, and some even had 90k miles and they started around the same time. I had not thought about that but it seems correct.

I don't know but it seems to disregard milage and start in a certain time period, like 4 years.
I don't know, I'm just happy the irritating, embrassing noise is gone. It was embarrassing turning a corner on a cold morning with all that noise and people turning to see a good looking TL making it :)

RogeN2G 02-27-2008 01:23 AM

please help, my car is still making whine noise even after the new o-ring, what else should i do

Fuser82 02-27-2008 09:33 AM

Hey I'd also like to thank everybody, this thread was a life saver!
I got my car back last night, with only 22k I was losing all hope for my nearly $40,000 car.
Bring it in for a service Monday, mention the odd noise blah blah... Get a call yesterday afternoon, faulty O ring....When I get there to pick it up, I'm told they replaced everything PS Pump and all O rings! Awesome, good as new!

For all you guys having problems, def bring it in. If that dealer is being a pain, go to a different one... Maybe a larger scale one, in a major city. They're getting paid for this anyway!

LaBarbera6 03-31-2008 10:52 AM

Jerky Handling on curves and braking

I recently hit a deer and since that repair (All cosmetic except for the power steering reservoir, and the radiator and A/C condenser). Since I got the car back the car gets squirrely and jerky on curves to the right, especially noticeable on any sharp curve to the right if I hit brakes while going into the curve, like an thruway off ramp. Also happens when I slow down from speed going straight e.g. 40 plus I get a sensation of jerks alternating from left to right.

Any one experiencing this?