AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Is my power steering done? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/my-power-steering-done-629520/)

Flossy 12-05-2007 10:47 AM

same problem

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms mentioned here. I called the Acura dealer here and they said they hadn't heard of this TSB. If anyone gets a copy to send out that would really help me save some money!!

Thanks!

STEVESTINT 12-05-2007 03:00 PM

does the rl use the same exact power steering pump as the tl?

Nova_GTS 12-05-2007 03:55 PM

When I called the dealer ship (Monday) they hadn't heard of it (supposdly they just checked), they had one car there waiting for a PS pump on back order... but when I brought it in they magically found it and saved me some money... something does exist... just tell them "F you, get these part numbers, install them and dont ask any questions!"

VelfarreClubber 12-05-2007 04:08 PM

Since there is a tsb on that does that mean the service will be free for those out of warrenty? If not is it easy to replace the o rings? Thank God that its not an entire part kinda pissed me off when the problem occured. Anyone have a DIY guide on this?

Nova_GTS 12-05-2007 04:49 PM

You can be somebody, make a difference... make the DIY for everyone else! the Service wasnt free and I am out of warrenty If you didnt get that from reading already! $108 isnt a bad price tho I dont think. And I did a short search befor creating this thread, there isnt a DIY out there to my knowledge... so you can wait, see if the dealer will tell you, figure it out yourself, or DIY and make a write up for everyone else... shouldnt be too hard, just gotta find out where the 2 o rings fit (maybe only 2 o rings around the pump).

Good luck!

pickebicke 12-05-2007 05:51 PM

here is the Service Bulletin about the TL steering problem...

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf

hope this helps.

A DIY would be great!

Royce Han 12-05-2007 06:16 PM

hey thanks for the TSB, that's very helpful and such a quick response too!
ive found this page from the Service Manual. it should answer questions of where these o-rings are located. i just bought a new genuine oem pump from parts. but ordered the hoses, o-rings, etc.. and still waiting on them. as soon as i get the misc hardware, i will do this repair myself and will take detailed photos and provide a DIY for you guys soon. thanks again!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...can10001-1.jpg

Royce Han 12-05-2007 06:19 PM

hey thanks for the TSB, that's very helpful and such a quick response too!
ive found this page from the Service Manual. it should answer questions of where these o-rings are located. i just bought a new genuine oem pump from parts. but ordered the hoses, o-rings, etc.. and still waiting on them. as soon as i get the misc hardware, i will do this repair myself and will take detailed photos and provide a DIY for you guys soon. thanks again!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...can10001-3.jpg

Nova_GTS 12-05-2007 08:06 PM

FUCK... ok, after seeing the TSB I do feel ripped off... that looks so easy, oh well. Someone had to find the answers the expensive way... Thanks for the TSB post!

AcuraVic 12-06-2007 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
I have this same issue too, 04 TL w/ 70,400 miles. Just happened on Saturday when it was really cold here in So Cal but the r/c car noise went away after driving a few miles but left a burning smell around the P/S pump. I have the extended powertrain warrenty (100k miles) and that shit won't even cover it go figure.

Right now im just gonna drive it till something happens like my steering gets rough, then I'll order from advanced auto parts and get a mech or buddy to help me out. Is the parts oem AcuraVic???

It looks OEM but it is a rebuilt pump. I replaced the original pump and it didn't stop the noise. I'll send the Advance Auto pump back to them and ask for a refund.

AcuraVic 12-06-2007 09:04 AM

Thanks for finding the TSB. I'm going get the O-rings and try again.
Side Note, I did spend money for a pump but I had fun changing the pump with the assistance of my 12 year old son. Staying up late on a school night working on your old mans car. Priceless.

AcuraVic 12-06-2007 01:21 PM

Noise Gone !!

Put the O ring in per the TSB, and all is well again.

VelfarreClubber 12-06-2007 05:27 PM

Thanks AcuraVic do you have any tips to replace the O rings?

It also happened again today at a cold start making the sound and leaves a burning smell and just a short while ago I could have sworn I smelled rotten eggs but wasn't sure if it was the area I was driving. Anyone have that issue? Is my p/s going bad? should I replace the entire thing???

AcuraVic 12-07-2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Thanks AcuraVic do you have any tips to replace the O rings?

It also happened again today at a cold start making the sound and leaves a burning smell and just a short while ago I could have sworn I smelled rotten eggs but wasn't sure if it was the area I was driving. Anyone have that issue? Is my p/s going bad? should I replace the entire thing???

VelfarreClubber, I suggest you perform the TSB first, then if the problem persists, start changing parts. I purchased two O rings for $3.50.

I only replaced the O ring on the TSB. Perform this when the car is cold. I have a pump from Pep Boys that I used to suck the fluid from the power steering bottle.

You will need a box end (open end) wrench as there is no room for a socket. I believe the size is 11 or 12 millimeter. Should take 30 mins.

The Acura dealer quoted $90.00 to do this for me.

pickebicke 12-07-2007 07:03 PM

i did this for a friend of mine, just replaced the O-ring as stated in the TSB. very easy to do. took me 10 mins from start to finish. you have to use a 10mm open box wrench.

after replacing it, instantly, the sound went away.

Green&CamelTL 12-09-2007 10:37 AM

Have any of you gotten your O-rings someone other than an Acura dealer?

Sitting here Sunday not able to do the fix.

pickebicke 12-09-2007 09:38 PM

actually, acura didn't have it by my area, so i went to honda and they had it. acura wanted 2.73 for it, and honda was only 1.04 for the o-ring. same exactly thing and part #.

crk1216 12-10-2007 08:28 AM

'04 TL 73,000 miles problem started 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the TSB.....Tl Forum to the rescue once again. This site is the most comprehensive car owners sit on the web and has continuely proven to be invaluable as a car owner. Thanks again for all your help!

If you read the TSB it says that out of warranty coverage is possible and it is up to the dealer and local district management. Has anyone gotten this covered yet? I have a message in with my Service Manager. Will update with info when I have it!

Green&CamelTL 12-10-2007 01:11 PM

Free O-ring. Merry Christmas.

Hi everybody,
I have an extra O-ring (bought 2 just in case) left over doing the TSB fix. Since it is Christmas time and you guys just saved me a ton, I will mail the extra O-ring free of charge to whoever needs one; first person to respond with their info via PM gets it.

Thanks again,

Herb

Green&CamelTL 12-10-2007 01:55 PM

Oops. I thought we had private messaging.... If not email herb AT mac dot com for the O-ring.

Green&CamelTL 12-11-2007 09:33 AM

Thought I'd report back. This was the first morning after the fix and all is well. The noise is gone completely and I actually believe that the car is quieter than before.

My noise had been really bad when the weather was cool, but would "go away" after being driven for 10 minutes. After replacing the ring, I now believe there had been a quieter noise that was always present even when the whine had disappeared. All that is gone now.

Thanks again. This has been the best and most useful info I've gotten from any forum.

Herb

1blkowl 12-12-2007 11:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I have had this problem for a while and my mechanic suggest I should call Acura and see if they will do "out of warrenty assistance" on fixing my power steering pump. He states if I explain several owners have the same problem with the car and there is a service bulletin regarding the problem, they may fix it for free or pay for part of it. I have an 04 tl with almost 89K miles. I'll let you know if I am successful.

STEVESTINT 12-13-2007 02:21 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...h_PC120371.jpg
heres what its souds like

hondasaurus 12-17-2007 02:29 PM

My car is an 04 Model year purchased in January. The car has been making the whining noise more consistently now on cold morning starts in Southern California at temps: 40-55degrees.

The whining noise stops around noontime.

South Coast Acura has diagnosed the problem to be a bad PS pump. Luckily, I was able to find this thread and am attempting to get this service done as a goodwill. My car is currently at 67k miles.

I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

levon1830 12-17-2007 07:55 PM

Wow, extremely glad I found this thread before shelling out $600.00 for parts and labor to have the entire pump replaced (no time to do it myself). I will be calling my local Acura and Honda dealers to see which of them have the o-ring in stock so that I can get this taken care of. The noise is very annoying until the engine warms up.

Yet another example of why I love this site so much. Thanks to all for posting this useful info. :thumbsup:

TLheaven 12-18-2007 01:37 AM

My 05 A/T TL is acting the same way and hopefully my dealer won't be a bitch about the intake...

P.S. Looks like your having fun in that video! :toocool:

silveracid 12-18-2007 11:09 AM

yep my 04 tl is doing the same thing but only when its cold the honda dealer gave me a price of 380.00 to replace the pump

cosmo.spacely 12-18-2007 04:31 PM

Acura TSB: Air bubbles due to a leaky inlet O Ring Gasket

There is a recent Acura TSB, that describes the cause and repair for loud noises arising from the power steering pump.

It appears that bubbles form in the power steering fluid reservoir during cold mornings because of a leaking inlet housing O Ring. This can be changed (and you do not have to shell out $360 for a new pump) with the pump in the car.

The .pdf file for the TSB (including the steps to replace the O Ring) is:

Another good link is:
http://aboutacura.blogspot.com/

hondasaurus 12-19-2007 05:13 PM

Good News.

I read the TSB and pursued a goodwill repair. I contacted Acura directly and opened a Case requesting "goodwill consideration" on the repair. I gave information to which dealership is handling the issue and what they are recommending as a solution.

The local dealership doesn't believe that the O-ring itself will completely fix the problem. They recommended a PS pump replacement with new O-ring.

I spoke to Acura case manager and gave my reason for goodwill consideration informing that other Acura owners from this website are having the same problems before and after warranty expired. I also indicated that I bought the Acura TL under the presumption of high end brand quality and that a failed PS pump does not meet this expectation.

Acura case manager reviewed my normal maintenance services done at the local dealers (ie. oil changes, etc). The manager then worked something out with the local dealer.

The final result is that Acura provided the goodwill replacement of the PS pump and O-ring. And since my car was over warranty, I would need to pay for the labor.

My out of pocket is $133 for the repair work.

If I didn't contact Acura, then my original repair would have ben $695.

Tripnbeats 12-19-2007 05:50 PM

im on my 3rd pump n rack too bad they didnt figure it out earlier woulda been nicer keeping the car out of acura

Royce Han 12-19-2007 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by cosmo.spacely
There is a recent Acura TSB, that describes the cause and repair for loud noises arising from the power steering pump.

It appears that bubbles form in the power steering fluid reservoir during cold mornings because of a leaking inlet housing O Ring. This can be changed (and you do not have to shell out $360 for a new pump) with the pump in the car.

The .pdf file for the TSB (including the steps to replace the O Ring) is:

Another good link is:
http://aboutacura.blogspot.com/

yes, its amazing how suddenly quick (within mere seconds) that moaning will stop and air bubbles will completely dissipate just after installing this new o-ring following the TSB instructions, which took me like 5 min. to do.

someone had mentioned in this thread that they were offering free o-rings, if that person has ran out of them, you can contact me and i can give you one for free too. i have like 25 of them. just send me an email including your name and address , and just write " re: o-ring" in the subject box to: joemama662@yahoo.com

i will mail them out promptly within hours of receiving emails so you can just kick back and consider it done. if i reply back , it will only be to let you know that ive run out of them. i will mail them via USPS- First Class Mail. so first come , first serve. Happy Holidays to ALL!

Royce Han 12-19-2007 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Royce Han
yes, its amazing how suddenly quick (within mere seconds) that moaning will stop and air bubbles will completely dissipate just after installing this new o-ring following the TSB instructions, which took me like 5 min. to do.

someone had mentioned in this thread that they were offering free o-rings, if that person has ran out of them, you can contact me and i can give you one for free too. i have like 25 of them. just send me an email including your name and address , and just write " re: o-ring" in the subject box to: joemama662@yahoo.com

i will mail them out promptly within hours of receiving emails so you can just kick back and consider it done. if i reply back , it will only be to let you know that ive run out of them. i will mail them via USPS- First Class Mail. so first come , first serve. Happy Holidays to ALL!

also, the revised o-rings are not the original black ones honda used which are now all faulty from 04-08's. they are now using Viton polymer o-rings, red in appearance.

-for protection against high heat applications, aggressive fuels, and chemicals

-for use on valves, hoses, regulators, and cylinder neck apps

just FYI

STEVESTINT 12-20-2007 02:00 PM

they replaced the o ring on mine and now no noise :):)

LKLD 12-20-2007 03:32 PM

Ya know, you gotta love this site :thumbsup:

Mine has been getting bad this week (04 AT). I was going to take in in after the holidays, but I thought I'd check on here first.... and voila! Right on top of the front page! Thank you to all who researched for us...you guys are something :thumbsup:

bull2k8 12-21-2007 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ampeg11
Man, I think we are seeing a trend here! I am having the same problem, I had my mechanic replace the rack and hoses for frigging $800! Now, I am still having the same problem a week later? The horrid sound is even worse now that it is getting colder, although it subsides after it warms up. He did not replace the pump itself, said that was not the problem. It goes back in tomorrow morning for follow-up to fix the problem, I NEED MY CAR! If I am going to continue to have this problem, I hope Honda has a recall fix, otherwise it will be goodbye TL. Love the car, but being in sales, I drive a lot of miles and need reliability. I hate to say it, but the 2008 Accord is a nice ride. I might be there soon.

trend indeed, i just found this forum because i was looking to see if anyone was having the same problem that i was. i have a '04 tl also with 57k on it. and sure enough the power steering is acting up in the mornings...with the way that this is going there definately has to be some kinda recall coming.......at least i hope so :annoyed:

bull2k8 12-21-2007 04:20 AM

just finished reading all of the thread...will perform the tsb tommorow...hope acura has the parts in stock

Royce Han 12-21-2007 12:53 PM

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h_IMG_9488.jpg
what am i going to do with all these o-rings? only one person asked me so far.
-by the way, this is a special order part and chances are they will not have them in stock. i thought since so many people should be complaining right about now that all dealers everywhere wouldve caught onto that TSB or atleast the service and parts team , you know- some basic teamwork skills, but thats not the case.

dsc888 12-23-2007 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by uk04tl
Same problem with my 2004 TL. A month ago, they told me I needed a new PS pump. Last week, they said that Acura found the problem. It is a faulty o-ring in the PS pump which lets too much air in when it gets cold. They are to call me when they get the o-rings in. Apparently, the service manager had just briefed the techs on this last week. Acura was replacing a lot of PS pumps under warranty. Mine has been out of warranty for a while.

Hi Guys,

I have not posted for a while but my dealer replaced the faulty O ring well. I had the exact same grinding sound in the morning with cold starts. My service write said they had just been made aware of the issue by Acura and I was about 2,500 miles past my warrantee. They goodwilled it. I am happy.

dsc888

ampeg11 12-23-2007 10:42 AM

O-rings

I will take 2 of them off your hands...send them one! Contact me at seanthorntonx@yahoo.com

I hate cars 12-24-2007 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by STEVESTINT

That's not exactly good for the car. You can easily burn up the pump or kill the fluid from turning the wheel like that. The factory determined the car needed a powersteering cooler. Now you're turning the wheel 10x harder than you ever would during a normal drive with no air passing over the cooler and with the wheels static and with air in the system to boot.