My latest TL problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My latest TL problems!!!

so here we go. a few weeks ago, i went into a Discount Tire Center to get my oil changed, tires rotated and balanced, no big deal. so i am sitting there watching my car getting worked on, and the mech calls me over and says you have to look at a few things. im thinking to my self, great, what could this be. so he brings me over to my wheels first. apparently, one of my rims has a nice crack in the back of it, along with tons of curb rash. now, i knew my rims had curb rash on the front, but not the back. he said all the rims have curb rash on them, and that is what is throwing off the balance, so there is no way he could balance them.

so, next he brings me over to my brakes and says that my front brakes and rotors are worn down (which i knew), so they would have to be replaced. AND... also both front shocks are blown. the oil is coming out of the piston and its all over. so now i am freaking out, thinking this will all cost an arm and a leg.

so i bring the car home and hit the internet. boom, excelerate has good rotors and pads for decent prices. brakes=done.
i figured since the shocks are blown, it gives me a good excuse to get the aspec suspension. ebay (acura of lynnwood) $650 brand new= done!!!
also find a set of tl-s rims, less than 5k on them mint condition, with brand new tires 1100 shipped. rims=done!!!!

so i get all the parts and take it back to DTC. here is where the story gets good. when they are taking off teh left caliper, they removed the one bolt from the caliper and the bolt took all the threading from the caliper with it. are you freaking kidding me!!!!! also, they snapped a bolt off for the suspension and cant get one strut out. so they call me and say that they dont want to break anything else and recommend i take it to acura. luckily they didn't charge me a penny.

so i take it to the dealership, and order a new caliper. turns out that the one they ordered for me was the wrong one, so they ordered a new. that one comes in and is the wrong one again. so a week later, they finally get the right caliper. i get a phone call the next day and now it turns out i need a new fork where the suspension goes into. its only 80 bux so i say whatever, i just want my car. so, 2 weeks later, my car is finally done, all the brakes are in, suspension is installed, and we are all good.

well, not so fast. i was looking for my wedding ring which fell in between my seat and i put my hand on the rear seat, and its loose. they never installed to rear cushion completely. so i call the dealership again, and give them an earfull, and they say just bring it down whenever and we will do it there on the spot, no questions asked.....

so thats it, thats my story....man its been a long 3 weeks...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you need to stay on top of the maintenance on your car better so you dont stress yourself out at 24...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
u need to find another service spot man
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 AM
私を知らない

thats one helluva week or 2
Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 AM
HOME SWEET HOME....

the car gods were definetly not on ur side this month... hopefully its all over
Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, that was a whole bag of problems you have...

you got to maintain you ride man, and all these problems could of be caught early on....

but i am glad you fixed it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! Sorry your TL had those problems. The first tech was good enough to catch those problems initially. It could have been worse if not found. Glad you got it all worked out. A bit of an expense, but it's all good now.

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Work work...

wow what's the mileage on ur car?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
My baby's ride...

Quick question...the rim that was cracked..was it oem or aftermarket?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Well? Now that everything is fixed does she feel like new? How do you like the new suspension? How about some before and after pics?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
dang man....thats defintely sucks for u!! im sure u have spent ALOT of money by now. glad u are up and running tho.....who knew Discount Tire did brakes and oil changes?? ....i woulda neva trusted them wit my acc-ball.... DIY ftmfw!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
"Like None Other"

oh yea....A-Spec suspension FTMFW!!!....how do u like it?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

as far as the suspensoin, it feels awesome, i can already feel a huge differance in the handeling. i love it!!!

as far as the maintenance, i have kept up with everything. i always do the required services. the thing is, i bought the car in ohio, so the car saw a few winters. now i am in the desert in california, so all the bolts were rusted and stuck due to the salt and stuff in ohio. beleive me, i take care of my car.

the rims were oem rims, with pretty new tires on them.

it sucks when you have to drive long distances to go anywhere. the closest mall is an hour away.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Skrewologist
you need to stay on top of the maintenance on your car better so you dont stress yourself out at 24...
believe me, i have enough stress to deal with in the military
Old 11-25-2008, 05:17 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

imo, this was all minimal... but i guess others wouldn' see it that way
Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstealth
as far as the suspensoin, it feels awesome, i can already feel a huge differance in the handeling. i love it!!!

as far as the maintenance, i have kept up with everything. i always do the required services. the thing is, i bought the car in ohio, so the car saw a few winters. now i am in the desert in california, so all the bolts were rusted and stuck due to the salt and stuff in ohio. beleive me, i take care of my car.

the rims were oem rims, with pretty new tires on them.

it sucks when you have to drive long distances to go anywhere. the closest mall is an hour away.
if the car is under factory warranty and the crack orignated in the center of the rim, take it to a dealer and show them a rim failure. they should reimburse you for it since it seems like a stress crack.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like the car has seen a few major potholes somewhere before you got it. A rim doesn't just crack. It needs a pretty good shot. When the person hit or ran over whatever, the shocks blew out.

Discount tire working on your Acura? That is a bad call on your part. Tires and balancing and call it a day. All other work has to be done by a trained tech. It doesn't surprise me in the least all the stripped parts and broken bolts.

You never told us the milage on the car. That might answer a few questions.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mmade22
Sounds like the car has seen a few major potholes somewhere before you got it. A rim doesn't just crack. It needs a pretty good shot. When the person hit or ran over whatever, the shocks blew out.

Discount tire working on your Acura? That is a bad call on your part. Tires and balancing and call it a day. All other work has to be done by a trained tech. It doesn't surprise me in the least all the stripped parts and broken bolts.

You never told us the milage on the car. That might answer a few questions.

my car has 69000 miles on it
Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

yeah, after all of this, i will definitly take it to acura for services. usually, acura of the desert gives me a discount for being in the military, so thats good.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Instructor

believe me, i have enough stress to deal with in the military
What are branch you in? You should have took your car over to the hobby shop and did it yourself. Suspension is cake, but if you never worked on it before it's nothing to be intimidated by. Brakes would take you maybe 2 hours tops if you can't get the screws out of the rotors. Tires of course being the easiest. For balancing I think I paid $2 a tire for the hobby shop to balance. You should definitely take advantage of the hobby shop if you have one. I like to do all my work myself then the only one you have to be pissed at is yourself if something breaks, not some third party guy.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
What happened to the wheels? Was this thing in an accident? Jump a curb? What?

Cracked wheels and curb rash on the *inside* sounds like some kind of abuse. I think mmade22 is right, whatever cracked the rims, busted the shocks too.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SQAcuraTL04
What are branch you in? You should have took your car over to the hobby shop and did it yourself. Suspension is cake, but if you never worked on it before it's nothing to be intimidated by. Brakes would take you maybe 2 hours tops if you can't get the screws out of the rotors. Tires of course being the easiest. For balancing I think I paid $2 a tire for the hobby shop to balance. You should definitely take advantage of the hobby shop if you have one. I like to do all my work myself then the only one you have to be pissed at is yourself if something breaks, not some third party guy.
im in the marines. yeah there is a hobby shop out here, but i have never used it.

i have no idea about the wheels. i have put alot of miles on it so i dont know...plus, a lot of the time, the wife drives my car, so she might have even done something to make the rims crack...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im in the marines. yeah there is a hobby shop out here, but i have never used it.

i have no idea about the wheels. i have put alot of miles on it so i dont know...plus, a lot of the time, the wife drives my car, so she might have even done something to make the rims crack...
I'm in the Army and I used our hobby shop for the first time 3 weeks ago, it was very reasonable and convenient. All I did was an oil and filter change and tire rotation, but it was only $7 plus my oil/filter, it also gave me a chance to clean off parts that I normally can't get to. From now on, that is where I'll do my maintenance. Check yours out, you might be surprised.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Glad to hear everything worked out fine!!!!