My 6MT stucks at 3rd gear very often.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:04 PM
zero to biotch:3.0s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 6MT stucks at 3rd gear very often.

I just wanna say, OEM transmission fluid sucks as hell. I was trying to upshift to 3rd yesterday and gear didn't go all the way, and i missed the gear eventually. this is not the first time. It happened several occasions and it drives me nut! any transmission oil recommendation?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Wow. 144 posts and you're unaware of one of the most documented issues with the 6MT ?
"GM Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, Friction Modified" is all you need to know.
Search it and you will see much dialog on this very topic. Type 'friction modified' into the search of this forum and you'll be busy for hours reading it all.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Wow. 144 posts and you're unaware of one of the most documented issues with the 6MT ?
"GM Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, Friction Modified" is all you need to know.
Search it and you will see much dialog on this very topic. Type 'friction modified' into the search of this forum and you'll be busy for hours reading it all.
What he said.. Works like a champ
Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by blokhead
What he said.. Works like a champ
i'm not really much of mechanic.......how much is it to get transmission oil change?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM

3rd gear pisses me off now. i'm gonna set for apointment to change transmission oil to GM Synchro. what's the price go for parts and service?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
3 quarts of GM synchromeshshould be about $33 or so. Labor, don't know, did it myself in about 30 minutes, so figure $80/hr at the dealer, you should be into it for $80 or so. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:03 PM
5th Gear

All,
Just wanted to let you know I finally had a success with Acura on the ongoing third gear issue. I complained about the 3rd gear issue umteen times and finally today after having new synchros, a new tranny, and an exorbitant amount of time with my car in the shop my service guy told me that Acura is awar of the issue and is planning on putting out a fix for it somewhere around the feb 08 timeframe. I dont know about you but they finally owned up to the issue and I am planning on writing to Acura on this issue as they have obviously known about it since the 04 model came out. THey guy said oh since you car probably will be out of warranty by the time it comes out they will honor the repair. Just thought you may like to know there is a little hope at the end of the 3rd gear tunnel..
Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Pro

Thats music to my ears!!! I was considering changing to the GM fluid but didn't want to deal with warranty issues. I really hope that they fess up and fix this tranny problem. I was starting to feel like I was going to have to get synchros changed like I change my oil
Old 12-16-2007, 03:00 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by cawad
All,
Just wanted to let you know I finally had a success with Acura on the ongoing third gear issue. I complained about the 3rd gear issue umteen times and finally today after having new synchros, a new tranny, and an exorbitant amount of time with my car in the shop my service guy told me that Acura is awar of the issue and is planning on putting out a fix for it somewhere around the feb 08 timeframe. I dont know about you but they finally owned up to the issue and I am planning on writing to Acura on this issue as they have obviously known about it since the 04 model came out. THey guy said oh since you car probably will be out of warranty by the time it comes out they will honor the repair. Just thought you may like to know there is a little hope at the end of the 3rd gear tunnel..
So they finally figured out how to print out an Acura label to stick on over the label on the GM bottle?

Simple economics would seem to favor them trying a new MTF again instead of ripping apart 2 or 3 year old MTs. Sure, put a physical fix into the production line but I don't see them spending all the warranty budget when customers can be satisfied by a <$30 fix (new MTF). It's not like MTs with the GM stuff are disintegrating. Just seems that most folks that resist the GM fluid only do so because it doesn't say "Acura" on it.

Nonetheless I'm still open minded to hear what they say the fix is.