Mirror position will not save

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Mirror position will not save

I've been wrestling with this one for a little while now. I replaced the side mirror actuators earlier this year and all seemed well for a while. But for the past few months, the passenger side mirror has refused to remember it's programmed position.

Basically it will do this:
(The mirror adjust switch is in the middle position and I'm not talking about the auto-tilt in reverse function)
-Any time I unlock the car, the mirror dips into this position that's staring at the ground.
-While still in park, I'll position the mirror where I want it.
-I'll hit "MEMO" and hear a beep. Then I'll hit "1" and hear two beeps. All normal.
-I'll wait a moment, press "1" to see if nothing moves, and the mirror dips right back into this position I can't seem to overwrite.

I've tried this with wildly different positions just to see if the position pots are acting up. Same result--it loves this one spot. Memory setting 2 does actually go to a different place, but I can't seem to overwrite that one, either.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Bump because this is obnoxious and I have to adjust my right mirror every time I start the car.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Seems like the mirror actuator isn't working correctly. Did you try taking it out and greasing it? If you don't have any stuttering, it may not help.

It seems like its not able to determine its position relative to its points of reference, so in your situation it keeps going down. There's not much to the mirror system, does it function correctly on the reverse tilt? Actuators are like $50ish USD, so it may not hurt to try it. It's not a difficult install either.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 651 Likes on 350 Posts
were the actuators OEM? I remember we replaced a side view mirror after market on the MDX and it was never in the position it was supposed to. That may be the issue if not OE
Old 09-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
After years of stuttering, mine started to just start doing really odd things...random moving around, looking over to find it pointing at the ground or maybe the sky, and finally my seat memory stopped working. Cleaning and re-greasing did nothing. Just had to break down and buy new actuators and all is good.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Linear potentiometer (if I'm naming that thing properly) probably went bad. No idea if it can be cleaned.
(looks like two black strips and metal contacts slides against it, two white "arms" if I remember correctly)

One of my mirrors was randomly going up all the way and clicking for couple seconds, breaking memory function as well. I just replaced whole actuator. One year and didn't have problem yet.