Melted spark plug on my 05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melted spark plug on my 05 TL

So here is the story,

March of 2013 I had a guy work on my 2005 Acura TL. He did timing belt,water pump, plugs, all fluids flushed and changed, induction cleaning service. And all seemed well for a month or so. Not sure which came first the Cat code or the misfire code but i started getting misfires on 2,4,5. So i pulled the coil packs on 4 and 5 and the plugs, everything looked ok so i put it back together. It ran a lot smoother but still misfire on 2. Pulled the coil pack and it was burnt. **Mistake 1 I did not pull the plug just assumed it was the coil pack since it was damaged.**
So i went and got a cheap coil pack from local parts store. It seemed like it ran better for a while maybe a couple of months. When it started acting up again I was afraid it was the cheap coil pack and did not have money to fix. Around December I got a coil pack from Acura but it made no difference. So I figured something must be wrong with the plug and that was what I found!!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I cleaned up your posts and threads and moved this one to the proper forum where you will get the best results.
The following users liked this post:
Yabadabadoo (02-15-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:54 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My coil pack literally MELTED inside the cylinder head. I don't even know how to get it out fml
Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo

So here is the story,

March of 2013 I had a guy work on my 2005 Acura TL. He did timing belt,water pump, plugs, all fluids flushed and changed, induction cleaning service. And all seemed well for a month or so. Not sure which came first the Cat code or the misfire code but i started getting misfires on 2,4,5. So i pulled the coil packs on 4 and 5 and the plugs, everything looked ok so i put it back together. It ran a lot smoother but still misfire on 2. Pulled the coil pack and it was burnt. **Mistake 1 I did not pull the plug just assumed it was the coil pack since it was damaged.**
So i went and got a cheap coil pack from local parts store. It seemed like it ran better for a while maybe a couple of months. When it started acting up again I was afraid it was the cheap coil pack and did not have money to fix. Around December I got a coil pack from Acura but it made no difference. So I figured something must be wrong with the plug and that was what I found!!!!
Has everything been fine since you replaced that plug? I wouldn't consider that to be normal, as something would have to induce it, such as a clogged injector and that cylinder running excessively lean.

I've heard that the plug being loose can also cause that, but I've not experienced that personally. These engines are notorious for the plugs being loose - was it tight when you went to remove it? It may have been a false sense of torque since it looks like it melted the threads.

I'd suggest inspecting the plug now that you have replaced it and look for evidence of lean burning. If it does, you may consider either replacing the injector for that cylinder, or moving the injector to a difference cylinder and see if the lean condition follows it.

EDIT: Some further investigation shows this is most likely a symptom of the loose spark plug, notorious on the J series. Lots of Pilot, Odyssey, and MDX owners have had this type of issue. Check those plugs!

Last edited by screaminz28; 06-27-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: more info added