master cylinder needs replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
master cylinder needs replacement?

Dad has a 2004 TL. Both the Brake Light and VBS Light came on while he was driving. The dealer scanned the car and said he needs to replace the master cylinder. The code came up "65-1 Replace Master Cylinder Switch". They said it would cost $450 to replace. He charged him $180 already to have the car checked. Found a mechanic that can do it for $300, but we are still unsure if it is the master cylinder that actually needs to be replaced. please help! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you are driving 25 mph and apply the brake 2 times in a row quickly- pump the brakes, does it have better- stiffer feel the 2nd time?
OR
at stoplights- does the pedal sink to the floor?

You are supposed to change the brake fluid once a year-starting at year 3, so that should not effect the situation here

I would call acura care 1-800-382-2238 x5 have your VIN number in hand
The phone person can only take a message about your concern of:
brake prob at this age and mileage and the cost.....
and a real acura manager calls you back'
Its crazy to charge you 1.5 hours labor to plug in the scanner-
AND want 450 for the m/c installed on top of the 180--

We are talking a job I have done on my own gen2 TL at home.

There may be a secret acura tech bulletin that the service writer doesnt know about- a behind the scenes acura corp Goodwill warranty-

its not right for an 04 to need a major brake part. The acura care rep who calls you can make many arrangements- they call the dealer and talk with the service manager and decide what to do. Acura may pay full or partial cost on the job

Do call them NOW- and then accept what they give-
Make sure they are going to guarantee the part fixes the problem- not just - we replaced per the code,,,but it needs more money to see whats really wrong dededeeee

REAL techs who read the service info from corp, know that codes are NOT diagnosis- they are CLUES to a problem source- rarely are they the real thing by themself
Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
If you are driving 25 mph and apply the brake 2 times in a row quickly- pump the brakes, does it have better- stiffer feel the 2nd time?
OR
at stoplights- does the pedal sink to the floor?

You are supposed to change the brake fluid once a year-starting at year 3, so that should not effect the situation here

I would call acura care 1-800-382-2238 x5 have your VIN number in hand
The phone person can only take a message about your concern of:
brake prob at this age and mileage and the cost.....
and a real acura manager calls you back'
Its crazy to charge you 1.5 hours labor to plug in the scanner-
AND want 450 for the m/c installed on top of the 180--

We are talking a job I have done on my own gen2 TL at home.

There may be a secret acura tech bulletin that the service writer doesnt know about- a behind the scenes acura corp Goodwill warranty-

its not right for an 04 to need a major brake part. The acura care rep who calls you can make many arrangements- they call the dealer and talk with the service manager and decide what to do. Acura may pay full or partial cost on the job

Do call them NOW- and then accept what they give-
Make sure they are going to guarantee the part fixes the problem- not just - we replaced per the code,,,but it needs more money to see whats really wrong dededeeee

REAL techs who read the service info from corp, know that codes are NOT diagnosis- they are CLUES to a problem source- rarely are they the real thing by themself
Thanks! I've called and will wait for their reply.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Brake Fluid Sensor on Master Cylinder

I have a 2004 TL with 75k miles and also found the brake fluid sensor went bad causing the Brake and VBS lights to go on. Per the suggestion above, I called Acura Care (800-382-2238 x5) and expressed concern about the poor design.

Evidently the brake fluid sensor had been integrated into the reservoir cap and was an easy fix. Now with the sensor built into the master cylinder, it will be a $450 repair. Too much, too soon for a car with 75000 miles. I don't have a problem replacing a sensor for $50 but a perfectly good master cylinder at 75k miles is not right.

Acura Care didn't care much. Out of warranty, it's my problem. Doesn't sound like they care about repeat customers.