longivity of oil if only 1k miles per year ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longivity of oil if only 1k miles per year ....

I run penzoil platium and only dive my car 1k miles per year. It is in storage now and am not sure when a good time to change the oil. I plan on putting it back on the road in may. Anybody know how long the oil will last or when I should change it. I want to be safe but not wasteful. Any input will be nice, thanx.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
If you only drive 1k per year, oil changes are the least of your concerns. Your car will fall apart, seals will dry out the gas will go bad. You need to drive the car more, but as far as the oil, I think it will be ok. At the very least try to go and start the car once a week. Cars are like people sit on your ass long enough and shit will start to go wrong.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tloc05
I run penzoil platium and only dive my car 1k miles per year. It is in storage now and am not sure when a good time to change the oil. I plan on putting it back on the road in may. Anybody know how long the oil will last or when I should change it. I want to be safe but not wasteful. Any input will be nice, thanx.
It would probably be a good idea to change it out once a year just before you put it in storage. You don't not want any corrosive components of combustion to be sitting in there while it is being stored. Many Corvettes are driven very little as well so they address the issue in the owners manual. The Corvette manual states that oil needs to be changed at least once a year.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i concure, once a year and i would put clean oil in it before storage...i would also use a fuel stabilizer on a regular basis...if you only driving 1k a year, then i would put stabil in the car atleast every other fill up or once a month...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Seafoam to the rescue once again!!! Before storing your car, run seafoam thru intake vac line until smoke comes out the exhaust- then stop engine and everything is protected for the duration. Pour some in the gas tank and it will keep it fresh too

Next year- BEFORE you start the engine- oil change!!!- this is due to oils ability to absorb moisture from the air. In normal driving the engine heat burns off the water, but stored cars....
Also change the brake fluid- as it sucks moiusture right out of the air as well, and NEVER has the heat the engine oil gets to dry iy out. Change brake fluid yearly for normal drivers.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Thanx for all the imput. The car was driven 1 or 2 times a week on my days off ritually for the last year or two and this is the first time it is storage. The battery is dead and dont want to buy a new one until spring, or should i to start it once a week? Also it's in a garage in a house where it doesn't get super cold, will the tires be ok or should i jack it up?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

keeping tires off the ground is good-they get a flat spot on them from prolonged sitting- are the expensive tires? Make sure you also support the suspension so its not hanging. Running it and driving are different. If you cant drive it at freeway speed for 30 -60 minutes, dont even start it. Disconnect- remove the battery- make sure you know the radio and nav security codes for when you get a new battery. Change all the fluids next year before you drive it. Give it a good waxing and say goodnite.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
keeping tires off the ground is good-they get a flat spot on them from prolonged sitting- are the expensive tires? Make sure you also support the suspension so its not hanging. Running it and driving are different. If you cant drive it at freeway speed for 30 -60 minutes, dont even start it. Disconnect- remove the battery- make sure you know the radio and nav security codes for when you get a new battery. Change all the fluids next year before you drive it. Give it a good waxing and say goodnite.
I heard you can jack it up so the tires are just barley off the ground. should i really support the suspention? Also whats the best way to support it?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

The tires are either on the ground on they are not. The suspension-shocks do not like to hang- they are designed to have weight pressing down on them. You can hyper/max inflate the tires and dont worry about it
Old 12-08-2007, 05:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tloc05
Thanx for all the imput. The car was driven 1 or 2 times a week on my days off ritually for the last year or two and this is the first time it is storage. The battery is dead and dont want to buy a new one until spring, or should i to start it once a week? Also it's in a garage in a house where it doesn't get super cold, will the tires be ok or should i jack it up?
Do not start it once a week. There is no benefit and plenty of reasons not to. I have been storing vehicles every winter for a very long time and there is only 3 things that I do. First, I fill the tank and use a fuel stabilizer like Seafoam. Second, I change the oil. Third, I use a battery tender.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
Do not start it once a week. There is no benefit and plenty of reasons not to. I have been storing vehicles every winter for a very long time and there is only 3 things that I do. First, I fill the tank and use a fuel stabilizer like Seafoam. Second, I change the oil. Third, I use a battery tender.
thats the road to follow right there...