Leaking into trunk. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking into trunk. Help!

My car is leaking in from the trunk through the window... and I noticed it about a year ago after it sat in the garage after I had the car serviced and I assume they pressure washed when washing the vehicle. I have been through a nightmare with places here lately to try to get this issue resolved, and so far it has not been pretty. Nor is the customer service. I cannot trust any of them. They talk of taking the side panels off, etc, etc. If the glass breaks when they take it off, we pay for it, etc. I'll take some photos if anyone sees this and is interested or knows a good place to take it. I have been to Leak Detective and they sent it over to Stevenson Collision Center. Horrible communication between them and Leak Detective dropped it off! There is much more to this story... The leak is also probably going through the rust holes you will see in the attached photos. Also, when I purchased the car, it was a used vehicle - It had been wrecked previously, but that information was not on the carfax report given to me by the dealership (is was not Acura I bought this vehicle from)

I have been quoted it will be over 2k to repair this (at LEAST)

The car only has 60K on it. It is in good shape other than this issue. Can I repair it myself sanding and sealing it? I planned to drive it until the wheels fell off.

I have more photos, I was at my upload limit.

Thanks in advance, if anyone has any ideas on this matter, or have run into the same issue and provide feedback on how you handled it? I would be so grateful. I just paid an 1800.00 service on the car and bought new tires, as well.

-Stephanie
Attached Thumbnails Leaking into trunk. Help!-20160531_130047%5B1%5D.jpg   Leaking into trunk. Help!-20160531_130053%5B1%5D.jpg   Leaking into trunk. Help!-20160531_130130%5B1%5D.jpg   Leaking into trunk. Help!-20160531_130100%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 PM
7th Gear

Oops. Forgot to mention it is a 2004 Acura TL.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:11 PM
7th Gear

Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Lot of time to correct.

As far as a fix, I'd remove the window and weatherstripping, cut out all the metal with a cutting wheel, forget about the seam, then shape a piece of aluminum flashing to the shape that's needed to contour to the body shape. After the flashing is to the correct size/shape, work some 18/20 ga cold rolled steel to the correct shape using the flashing a a template, then weld it in place and finish, grind, etc.

As far as breaking the glass, that shouldn't be a problem if done correctly, but if they do, the back glass can be had for $50/60 depending on your location.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:51 AM
7th Gear

Thank you for you reply. I was considering something I could have had done, or done myself that would be much less involved to buy me some time. You speak as though you are in this line of work? (or are extremely handy with cars)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Sorry to see this happened. This is poor repairs at some hack body shop and damage was likely very extensive from the accident. I think they were being generous with that price they quoted IMHO if Im reading the pics correctly that will certainly exceed $2000 in repairs.

As a stop gap to keep water out temporarily would be some sort of water proof caulking similar to what you would use in a bathroom. The problem your going to have is a surface for that to adhere to the rust is so severe. Have you also looked into that stuff they sell on TV that they spray on and stops leaks? The infomercial for flex seal, read the info on that if it will work.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 AM
7th Gear

Yes, I am worried of the repair costs. It was obviously a "hack" job done, and now I am paying for that. The dealer which I bought the car from saved a a lot to put lipstick on a pig. Thing is, is it worth it to fix it?? I am not even sure how bad the wreck was the car ws in originally. Is thousands worth such a high cost repair on a car that is a 2004?? Although, it only has 60K miles on it and I just paid 1800.00 for a service and new tires. I was not told it would be exactly 2K. Just that when they look at it, they just shake their head. they know it will cost quite bit. Very well will probably exceed 2000K. I m unsure what to do at this point.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by srsands
Yes, I am worried of the repair costs. It was obviously a "hack" job done, and now I am paying for that. The dealer which I bought the car from saved a a lot to put lipstick on a pig. Thing is, is it worth it to fix it?? I am not even sure how bad the wreck was the car ws in originally. Is thousands worth such a high cost repair on a car that is a 2004?? Although, it only has 60K miles on it and I just paid 1800.00 for a service and new tires. I was not told it would be exactly 2K. Just that when they look at it, they just shake their head. they know it will cost quite bit. Very well will probably exceed 2000K. I m unsure what to do at this point.
"Worth it" is a relative term. It depends on what your cost basis is in the car which includes your orginal acqusition cost plus the work you had performed PLUS the work for the repair. If that exceeds the market price for the car its not worth it IMHO. The thing you have going for you is it has 60k miles. My concern would be if this failed so drastically and apparently so quickly what else was mickey moused together that could fail in the future.

I would guess the cost of that repair to be closer to $4000 if done right and if the extent of the damage is as I see it from the pics. Others may disagree but those are very strong/critical structural areas of the car to be repaired and the cost will be high.

I am unsure of a easy workaround or short term fix other than my suggestions in previous post which sounded flippant with caulk and flex seal but thats the only DIY solution I can think of that can help you at this point.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:40 AM
7th Gear

Update*** I just dropped it off at another location. He looked it over well. They will be getting to it today. The side panels were definitely replaced... Also, he does does not feel the damage as extensive underneath. He will find out once he takes the glass off, etc. This was a referral from a very reputable source and the "big dealer shoppes" also send over work when they are to booked to this business.

Anyway, I will let you know what he comes back with.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 AM
7th Gear

Also

The car where the "hack job was done when putting the side panels on and when they worked on the trunk... It was not welded.