I'm giving up on the rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm giving up on the rattles

So I recently experienced a buzzing sound coming from the front passenger side during 1000 to around 2000 rpms. From other threads it sounded like it was the intermediate shaft heat shield. I also had another creaking type of sound coming from the glove box area. I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't replicate the sounds. They finally called and said they thought it was an exhaust heat shield and fixed it. I got the car back and sure enough, the sound is still there. At least they didn't charge me.

They couldn't hear the creaking during stopping and starting either. I think it's the plastic engine covers rubbing together myself. Who knows.

Anyway I'm giving up on trying to fix all the noises, I have most of them. Driver window, sun visor, sunroof, center speaker- you name it. I'm going to keep the music turned up just loud enough so the rear deck doesn't rattle.

I am truly amazed by all the noises this car makes. No other car I have owned has been this bad. And I owned a 1992 Chevy Berretta back in the day. And no I didn't read this site before buying my TL.

2005 auto with 40,000 miles.

That's my rant for the day.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

if its happening during braking check the bushings those creak when bad.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7778
So I recently experienced a buzzing sound coming from the front passenger side during 1000 to around 2000 rpms. From other threads it sounded like it was the intermediate shaft heat shield. I also had another creaking type of sound coming from the glove box area. I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't replicate the sounds. They finally called and said they thought it was an exhaust heat shield and fixed it. I got the car back and sure enough, the sound is still there. At least they didn't charge me.

They couldn't hear the creaking during stopping and starting either. I think it's the plastic engine covers rubbing together myself. Who knows.

Anyway I'm giving up on trying to fix all the noises, I have most of them. Driver window, sun visor, sunroof, center speaker- you name it. I'm going to keep the music turned up just loud enough so the rear deck doesn't rattle.

I am truly amazed by all the noises this car makes. No other car I have owned has been this bad. And I owned a 1992 Chevy Berretta back in the day. And no I didn't read this site before buying my TL.

2005 auto with 40,000 miles.

That's my rant for the day.
Maybe I should follow you to give up (sell the car! and will never think of acura for my life) the rattle issues for my 08 TL, which makes me crazy. The most recent new rattle is the spring in steering wheel. The dealer does not want to fixed it. Other annoying rattles come from the passenge door. sunroof, front deck ....................

I hate this car and the service from acura dealer (compared to Leux).

I will try once more, if they can not or not willing to fix the problem. I will keep posting (for 1 year) my experince on TL once a week on Yahoo, Edmunds etc to let others know the issue before they consider this car.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is unfortunate, the rattles that are so associated with our cars- although i dont have the horror stories you guys have "of yet"- 08 with 21K, they are there...I am trading in my 96 Accord at the end of this year, 215,000 on the clock, had her since early college- and I will be getting a Lexus GS, I hear the ride, quality, and overall finish surpasses Acura. I bought this car bc I fell in love with the styling, and reliability of it being a Honda, however I am dissapppointed in the "rattles"- for a $37k car-
Old 07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys complain way to much. A couple rattles and wahhhh. 2 of my cousins have TL's, 04, 06, and my 08. And they have 0 rattles.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ Dude, it is pretty famous that 3G TLs produce a lot of rattles. To some people, it's a big issue, alright?

ass
Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
if its happening during braking check the bushings those creak when bad.
Thanks for the tip but I had the dealer check the suspension and brakes. I would think if something was wrong they could find it so they could charge me for a repair.

I messed around with the plastic engine covers and it went away for awhile. Is there a purpose for these other than to make the engine bay look nice? I might just take them out.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JS + TL
^ Dude, it is pretty famous that 3G TLs produce a lot of rattles. To some people, it's a big issue, alright?

ass
I really think a lot of it has to do with the low profile tires. Not a lot of cushion between the road and the rims.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

nope i took em off mine.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I am also absolutely sick of the rattles, squeaks, and have never had another car to make all this noise. May not bother others but sure as hell bugs me. I love the car otherwise tho!!

I have had it in the dealer 3-4 times for all this and some fixed some havent. i have the front door window squeaks which they replaced... all door seals, intstalled the tsb strips and even extended them further than tsb shows. Also replaced both front window tracks and regulators!! I get the loud ass sunroof when opening closing etc... been lubed adjusted and what ever. The center console rattles as well as the shifter plastic piece that goes around the shaft of the shifter. Only way i dont hear this crap is if radio is on. However when driving and having people in the car and tryin to have a convo EVERYONE who has ever ridin in the car makes some sort of comment on the noises and some if not all have said.... amazing how some cheaper cars dont do this and that a 35k give or take car does this DAILY and cannot be fixed.

Ive been in several 3g tl's and ALL have done this is some fashion. So for those of you that say this or that person has 3g tl's and they dont have this problem either they are extremely lucky or dont hear as well as the ones that have these issues do. or they just always have the radio on.

with that said, i love the car and will keep it just wish those noises were gone. cant have it all right afterall, NOTHING or anyone is perfect.....