Howling, grind & groove on inside rotor

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Howling, grind & groove on inside rotor

I am having this issue at about 45mph and up on the howling sound on the right front, '07 Type S, I bought a new wheel bearing NSK brand and am going to take to my local machine shop, which they quoted $45 to press out old and in with the new. Bring in whole steering knuckle/hub etc...My Question is does anyone know or have had the rotor groove on the inside near towards the center, I am hoping it was from the wheel bearing but it doesn't feel loose.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I might be missing something, but how could a bad wheel bearing cause a groove on the brake rotor? I'd imagine the only thing that could do that is a brake pad
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

so possibly two separate things going on. Know tomorrow when I bust it down and replace the bearing and pads looks like rotors also.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,046 Likes on 777 Posts
My guess would be a rock or some metal that got in there and caused the groove. Let us know your findings. I don't think it would be from a bad wheel bearing though!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregster62
I am having this issue at about 45mph and up on the howling sound on the right front, '07 Type S, I bought a new wheel bearing NSK brand and am going to take to my local machine shop, which they quoted $45 to press out old and in with the new. Bring in whole steering knuckle/hub etc...My Question is does anyone know or have had the rotor groove on the inside near towards the center, I am hoping it was from the wheel bearing but it doesn't feel loose.
Your description makes it sounds like a faulty wheel bearing. As far as the groove is concerned, a rock or debris may have gotten under the pad but it should not be there, I'd recommend replacing the rotor and pads while you have everything apart.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:29 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
How are your tires?

I've replaced a wheel bearing thinking it was the source of a highway noise, but worn/uneven tires were the culprit (the bearing needed to be replaced anyway, so not a total waste of time).

Do you have any pictures of the rotor?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

I haven't driven it yet, I wound up replacing the bearing-removing the knuckle and taking to pressed out in and in $65.00, then replacing both front rotors and pads. Trying the Advanced/Carquest 2 year rotors and Carquest Wearever Gold pads lifetime. I haven't ever used these so we will see how they are. Thet aren't Ceramic so still going to get massive brake dust but should stop better becaus e I am told Ceramic is actually harder and will wear the rotors even faster. Will get back after a test drive. I do agree on the wheel bearing it seems not related, the pad on the inside was worn to the rivets so it was probably a rivet lodged and groove it deep! But the howling was unbearable.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Definitely turned out to be the wheel bearing, it's quiet now. As far as the pads on the right why they wore so quick, inside pad on right all the way to the rivets. I got an alignment and balance and it is bridging quiet and smooth now.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregster62
Definitely turned out to be the wheel bearing, it's quiet now. As far as the pads on the right why they wore so quick, inside pad on right all the way to the rivets. I got an alignment and balance and it is bridging quiet and smooth now.
If one side of the pad wore more, you have an issue with your calipers. This is also the reason why you may have gotten a score on your rotor face too and the noise is almost guaranteed towards the end of a calipers life.
If you only changed the pads and not the offending caliper, get ready to buy another pad set (AND rotor by that point).
Old 07-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Well I did replace the rotors and pads in addition to the wheel bearing, and a broken ABS wheel sensor that was stuck. The calipers are working smoothly, such as the pistons are not seized. I think the wheel bearing or the alignment had something to do with it. The groove was actually caused by the rivets on the pad.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,046 Likes on 777 Posts
I would grease the caliper pins or just replace the caliper itself. They are relatively cheap $65 after core exchange for the rears, not sure about the fronts. Keep an eye on it. One day it will eat pads again!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 180 Posts
Rears are about $60
Fronts are almost always cheaper at $50
Keep an eye on your pads.