high idle and sticky rpms PLS HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020 | 05:27 PM
Intermediate

high idle and sticky rpms PLS HELP ME

RPMS stick and idle high after valve adjustment / valve cover gasket replacement and throttle body gasket replacement also i cleaned out the egr throttle body and intake while it was apart. put it all back together after adjusting my valves and went to start my car and it did so i was relieved. but then it was idleing above 1k rpms when it used to idle at about 800 or so. and then i blipped the gas to see what would happen and rpms went up to about 3200 and then stayed there for about 6 seconds after taking my foot off the gas. also it made a sound that sounded like forced induction or some airy sounds from a turbo. so i thought it was a vacuum leak but i can’t find it anywhere and the turbo noise went away. have not driven it because i don’t want to damage it. but what could it be?
Old 04-04-2020 | 12:43 PM
Racer

Sounds like a problem with the throttle body, or IAC, or TPS.
Old 04-05-2020 | 08:10 AM
Racer

Whenever this sort of thing happens, the best thing is to slowly disassemble the things you just finished re-assembling and figure out which one you dorked up. Look for:
wiring harness plug connections that are loose or just didn't seat with a click,
frayed wires,
vac lines you forgot,
pinched gasket or crooked sealing surface,
Missing nuts so something isn't tight,
etc, etc.

I once nearly scrapped a 300zx after an all-night thrash to replace fuel lines under the intake and when I was done it only ran on 5 cylinders - I hadn't clicked a fuel injector connection quite hard enough.
Old 04-10-2020 | 05:04 PM
5th Gear

Hey guys I recent bought a 2004 Acura tl (6 speed) and for some reason it won't rev pass 2k rmps in any gear I can't get it to go over 7 mph I've checked all my fluids I also changed:
Tps
App
Throttle body
Evap system
Oil pressure switch
Vtec solenoid
Spark plugs
Coil packs
Fuel injectors
Fuel rails
O2 sensors
Checked the cats
Checked all vacuum lines
Rest the ecu
fuel pump
Cleared the fuel line
​​​​​​
There's probably a few more things I changed just cant think of anything else I'm at a loss also there is no check engine light

Old 04-10-2020 | 05:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Deaven
Hey guys I recent bought a 2004 Acura tl (6 speed) and for some reason it won't rev pass 2k rmps in any gear I can't get it to go over 7 mph I've checked all my fluids I also changed:
Tps
App
Throttle body
Evap system
Oil pressure switch
Vtec solenoid
Spark plugs
Coil packs
Fuel injectors
Fuel rails
O2 sensors
Checked the cats
Checked all vacuum lines
Rest the ecu
fuel pump
Cleared the fuel line
​​​​​​
There's probably a few more things I changed just cant think of anything else I'm at a loss also there is no check engine light
Damn. You shot the parts canon at it. So it doesn't rev above 2k even in neutral?

At that point you should take it to a mechanic for a diagnosis.

Old 04-10-2020 | 06:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by El_Cheapo
Damn. You shot the parts canon at it. So it doesn't rev above 2k even in neutral?

Yeah I have another 2004 Acura TL (6 speed) ran amazing but the transmission went out on that one and my plan was to put a j35 in it so I've been using the j32 as parts trying to figure out what was wrong just don't know what else to do my buddy has a snap on scan tool and he's been running a bunch of test
Old 04-10-2020 | 06:51 PM
Racer

Yeah I have another 2004 Acura TL (6 speed) ran amazing but the transmission went out on that one and my plan was to put a j35 in it so I've been using the j32 as parts trying to figure out what was wrong just don't know what else to do my buddy has a snap on scan tool and he's been running a bunch of test
Your buddy should be able to look at the PIDs on his scanner. He should see some for APP and Throttle desired vs actual.

Maybe you have to adjust the APP sensor cable.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...sensor-730958/
Old 04-10-2020 | 08:19 PM
Intermediate

could most likely be in limp mode
Old 04-10-2020 | 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Your buddy should be able to look at the PIDs on his scanner. He should see some for APP and Throttle desired vs actual.

i second this too. very well could be app sensor. but is your check engine light on or vsa. and if so what codes is it throwing at you.
Old 04-10-2020 | 10:34 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mintymonty
could most likely be in limp mode
​​​​​​I thought it was in limp mode too but usually in limp mode a check engine light appears but I called the Acura dealership to see if they dealt with anything like this before they just told me to rest my ecu but that didn't solve the problem
Old 04-10-2020 | 10:35 PM
5th Gear

i second this too. very well could be app sensor. but is your check engine light on or vsa. and if so what codes is it throwing at you.
I have no check engine light or vsa light on I tried replacing the app sensor
Old 04-10-2020 | 10:36 PM
5th Gear

I will try to adjust the cable and see what happens
Old 04-12-2020 | 10:09 PM
Intermediate

I will try to adjust the cable and see what happens
let us all know what happens, best of luck
Old 01-31-2023 | 09:28 PM
1st Gear

RPMS stick and idle high after valve adjustment / valve cover gasket replacement and throttle body gasket replacement also i cleaned out the egr throttle body and intake while it was apart. put it all back together after adjusting my valves and went to start my car and it did so i was relieved. but then it was idleing above 1k rpms when it used to idle at about 800 or so. and then i blipped the gas to see what would happen and rpms went up to about 3200 and then stayed there for about 6 seconds after taking my foot off the gas. also it made a sound that sounded like forced induction or some airy sounds from a turbo. so i thought it was a vacuum leak but i can’t find it anywhere and the turbo noise went away. have not driven it because i don’t want to damage it. but what could it be?
hey just wanted to ask if you found the problem. I got the same issue here, changed the valve cover gasket and throttle body gasket and cleaned it too but my rpm stays high after I rev a lil
Old 02-01-2023 | 10:00 AM
Advanced

Can you do a throttle relearn procedure? Just a guess but could be worth trying