Hesitation, sluggish, intermittent, TURD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation, sluggish, intermittent, TURD

Been reading this forum on similar problems and now have no clue where to start. I have an 04 TL which now has just over 70k on it. I bought it used with 38k. I started to notice that my car runs like crap sometimes not too long after i bought it. Feels like timing is being pulled. Normally it runs good when it is cold. Once it heats up, it runs like crap. From a stop it feels like im starting in 2nd gear. The car is an auto btw. I've also noticed some hesitation at times. It feels like it doesn't rev smoothly. It's hard to explain, but it feels like it surges through the rpm band. I only use 93 octane. I've read several threads here and have heard try the Knock sensor, IAT sensor, and mention of a transmission temperature sensor. The car was under extended warranty and during that time i took it in several times with them telling me it feels normal.. At one point they reflashed my ECU. Not sure what the reason was for that. I live in Texas and it's hotter than hell here. This is my first foreign car with any balls. Previous to that I had several mustangs and i was always able to hear pre ignition when it happened. None of those cars had Knock sensors though.. I don't get ANY codes when i do a code scan. I was thinking of changing my plugs wondering if they are possibly fouled? ANYONE have a direction for me to start? I'm not under any kind of warranty now so taking it into the dealership is not an option.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Check this out, maybe a similiar problem?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/those-lack-power-surging-hot-weather-859713/
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
10th Gear

checked that thread.. my battery was replaced not too long ago. seems like someone was pointing torward a grounding issue?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
I read that as well. I am not sure, but it could very well be......i think that member has a thread in the photo gallery of a grounding kit he installed.

Here it is....

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/hyper-voltage-grounding-kit-install-606115/

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 06-21-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Link provided..
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
10th Gear

Lol.. well i'm an electrician so i've got easy access to some good size wire. I guess it's worth a try. Hard to believe that a ground wire is the fix for the crap performance i get from this car though. It's sporadic too.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I added the bigger wire for the ground to the battery after the problem was fixed, just an addition to make me feel better The Tl loses power in heat, maybe a little bit more then other cars but the surging, hesitation and major power loss that i have experienced for so long is now non-existent...

Could it be unstable voltages causing the ecu to act funny, not sure really but this particular battery that i purchased after Matt's ( I hate cars ) recommendation solved all the problems.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Well i bought this car after i had twins thinking that if i HAVE to drive a 4 door i want something that looks cool and has some go to it as well. Now it just looks cool. I'm probably gunna replace my spark plugs this weekend but after reading all the threads on these cars running like mine does without a fix, i don't feel too hopeful about that fixing my problem. When i was able to get the dealership to reflash my ecu i did have a stored code that read something about stuck lean but i don't know the exact code now. I don't have any stored codes now. They also removed the injectors and cleaned them.. I'm HOPING that perhaps my plugs are just fouled? Not to knock the motors in these things because they make great power when they run right, but damn.. It was never this hard to find or fix the problem in my 5.0..
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I'm not saying you don't need plugs, you may. But if you are having a lean code/issue then it's not plugs. Think of it this way, if your ignition/ or plugs/ aren't working correctly you will have unburnt fuel in the cylinders durring combustion. This will cause a rich condition.
Lean issues are usually vacuum leaks, restricted injectors generally. Note I'm totally new to Honda platforms, going with gm background.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

Well I had a stuck lean code stored a while back. After several trips to the dealership they reflashed my ecu and cleaned my injectors. Car no longer throws any codes. I check often and have nothing stored. Car runs great when its cool. Shit when its hot. Really don't know where to go with it. Makes me think its a sensor issue since the car sometimes runs great. Just looking for direction on where to start. Is it possible for the sensors to read wrong and not throw a code. I'm thinking of adding some octane boost to the next tank of 93 just to see what happens. Feels like its pulling out timing to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Check this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859713.

Several members who experienced a similar problem think it's a battery performance issue.

G/L.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
If your engine feels tends to surge at neutral throttle, say in the neighborhood of 2500 RPM, then it could be a failing APP sensor. Another thing to do/consider is to remove the slack in the throttle cable to that sensor (be careful doing this). You can at least check for slack and see if if needs to be taken up. You should also run a container of high quality fuel system cleaner through your tank about every 10,000 miles (Sea Foam and Chevron are good ones.. especially Sea Foam).

You can take a plug reading and see how they look. They should have a tannish color, be dry, and look "normal". If they are more whitish, you have a lean condition. If dark and sooty looking, you're running rich. If wet, either the plug is firing poorly or oil is getting by the rings or valve seals. Smell them if damp or wet.

It is normal to lose some power in hot weather. This is due to fewer oxygen molecules per cubic foot of atmosphere which in turn causes the ECU to lean out fuel delivery to the injectors and retard the ignition timing. If your power loss is significant, there is definitely something wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Bearcat94 (06-24-2012)